Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Donald Trump and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    That explains a lot!! How's niceness working out in struggle for your denomination?
    I don't worry about my denomination - I answer to Christ.

I can assure you Christianity is very much about hating evil (but not people), preferably with fury of raging inferno!!!
    Yes, if you love Jesus, you should hate the sin that nailed Him to the cross. On the other hand, let him who is without sin be the stone thrower.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus said to pray FOR our enemies. And he meant for their salvation not their destruction.

We rejoice that evil is defeated, not the people trapped in it. God saw us as evil once. Now he see us through Jesus' righteousness instead. We should pray these evil people find the same salvation as we do. That they be born again and become a new creation in Christ. I have seen some pretty bad guys come to Christ and be completely changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Jesus said to pray FOR our enemies. And he meant for their salvation not their destruction.

We rejoice that evil is defeated, not the people trapped in it. God saw us as evil once. Now he see us through Jesus' righteousness instead. We should pray these evil people find the same salvation as we do. That they be born again and become a new creation in Christ. I have seen some pretty bad guys come to Christ and be completely changed.
        Exactly. Victory is when someone sees the errors of their ways, repents and joins you, not when they are destroyed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I don't worry about my denomination - I answer to Christ.
          How is Niceness of yours working out against struggle in progs and LGBTs?

Yes, if you love Jesus, you should hate evil
          Corrected, and agre!!

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Exactly. Victory is when someone sees the errors of their ways, repents and joins you, not when they are destroyed.

See Revelations, where victory is mass slaughter of all unrepentant who stand against God!!
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

See Revelations, where victory is mass slaughter of all unrepentant who stand against God!!
            First (channeling my dear brother here), it's Revelation (singular) not Revelations.

Second that is Christ destroying opposition at the end not us cheering when someone becomes ill now. Now there is still time for repentance and that ought to be our goal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              One thing that bothers me more is how many people I know who are real Christians are cheering him along as he declares revenge against people he believes have slighted him. Not repaying evil for evil is a command from Jesus. (This probably makes having a successful political career almost impossible for a Christian.)
              They are probably bringing shame on the name of Christ.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I'm much more interested in bringing people to Christ.

Revelation. (Sorry, Pig)

That's judgment - and until then, Jesus had come to seek and to save them which were lost, and has enlisted His followers in that endeavor. Judgment is the Lord's, not ours.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  First (channeling my dear brother here), it's Revelation (singular) not Revelations.

Second that is Christ destroying opposition at the end not us cheering when someone becomes ill now. Now there is still time for repentance and that ought to be our goal.

I want to see as many as possible to come to repentance before it's too late.

2 Peter 3:8-10 (ESV)

8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies[b] will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

Give it time, Demi. God's time.

Comment

Judgment is the Lord's, not ours.
                    You say that like it's relevant, like it's actual objection to anything I've said!

I want to see as many as possible to come to repentance before it's too late.
                    Which means that warmongers need be out of picture, you know, so that they don't get hundreds of thousands others killed!!!
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Corrected, and agre!!

so you are epoetker then?

Comment

The context of this is the Final Judgment, and note that in that passage it remains God's role to mete out judgment, not to do it ourselves.
                        God usually metes it out through humans.

One thing that bothers me more is how many people I know who are real Christians are cheering him along as he declares revenge against people he believes have slighted him. Not repaying evil for evil is a command from Jesus. (This probably makes having a successful political career almost impossible for a Christian.)
                        Quite the opposite, a Christian in a position of power has an obligation to carry out God's vengeance as per Romans.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          God usually metes it out through humans.

Quite the opposite, a Christian in a position of power has an obligation to carry out God's vengeance as per Romans.
                          That must be why the apostles in NT and Jesus aligned themselves with the zealots, and made violence on on those who insisted on circumcision of gentile converts..

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
                            That must be why the apostles in NT and Jesus aligned themselves with the zealots, and made violence on on those who insisted on circumcision of gentile converts..
                            Er, no. Neither group was in political power, which is the context in which DE made his statement.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Er, no. Neither group was in political power, which is the context in which DE made his statement.
                              I think he was being facetious.

Comment

I think he was being facetious.
                                He was trying to make DE look stupid for advocating something contrary to what the apostles and Jesus did. I was pointing out that his attempt backfired because he badly misread either DE or scripture.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment