Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Culture of Suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    She's not dismayed for her. She had no problem with what I said, other than some parts at the beginning about the bands and such.
    That doesn't make what I said any less true. That she may be just as misled about the cause of what she went (and may be still going) through doesn't change what's actually happening. Nor does it change what help she could be getting. Depression and suicidal tendencies are treatable. Not always curable, but they're treatable.
    Last edited by Carrikature; 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      How is it not? "Everyone would be better off without ME" is all about ME. The person committing suicide in that situation isn't actually taking into account anyone else's input. That their brain is broken doesn't change this.
      The person committing suicide isn't even taking into account their own normal input. It's a feedback loop that bypasses everything. Motivation can't be ascribed to it. What little motivation can be said to exist is the brain searching for a way to break out of the loop. Unfortunately, part of that loop limits the perceived options to "continue like this indefinitely" or "stop this permanently the only way you know how". The first isn't a solution. The second isn't either, but it appears as one.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

WRT depression and selfishness, I'm torn. Having dealt with some long-term depression myself (bouts of it being pretty severe), I can say that there's no doubt my thinking was definitely warped (or broken, or however you want to say it); but I'd also say that my thinking was generally selfish also. How exactly the two co-existed, I'm not sure.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          WRT depression and selfishness, I'm torn. Having dealt with some long-term depression myself (bouts of it being pretty severe), I can say that there's no doubt my thinking was definitely warped (or broken, or however you want to say it); but I'd also say that my thinking was generally selfish also. How exactly the two co-existed, I'm not sure.
          Basic survival mode can't really not be selfish. But it's the little kid kind of selfishness where you don't consciously intend to be selfish. It's complicated.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            That doesn't make what I said any less true. That she may be just as misled about the cause of what she went (and may be still going) through doesn't change what's actually happening. Nor does it change what help she could be getting. Depression and suicidal tendencies are treatable. Not always curable, but they're treatable.
            What help she could be getting?

You mean like how she has two therapists she sees, a psychiatrist, a support group led by another counselor, myself, and a close circle of friends she can turn to?

Taking care of my Princess is a great concern in my life. I go all out to show my love for her.

Comment