Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Mockingbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do mockingbirds do any original songs? Or are they always copycats?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I wondered - it says North America, including Mexico, US and Canada.

Northern mockingbirds live throughout North America, including Canada and Mexico. They are most common in the southern United States, especially in Texas and Florida. They breed from northern California, eastern Nebraska, southern Ontario and Atlantic Canada to southern Mexico.
      That isn't the part of Canuckistan that mossy resides in.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Do mockingbirds do any original songs? Or are they always copycats?
        Hmmmm, how would we know?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmmmm, how would we know?
          I would think[1] that if a particular cry/song/sound was unique to them and especially if it could be associated with a certain behavior like mating calls, alarms, challenges and such.

1. Resist the temptation

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I would think[1] that if a particular cry/song/sound was unique to them and especially if it could be associated with a certain behavior like mating calls, alarms, challenges and such.

1. Resist the temptation
            I'm not an official birdwatcher I don't know all the songs of the other birds to know that one is unique to mockingbirds.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Our mockingbirds are much darker than that pic. They pick up sounds but I'm not aware of them imitating speech. They do pick on cats and dogs.

Our ravens are a bigger pain however.
              I think it was in a History Channel video (so it HAS to be true! ) that I saw that mockingbirds and ravens are the only birds that seem to create mischief just for the sake of mischief.

Comment

I think it was in a History Channel video (so it HAS to be true! ) that I saw that mockingbirds and ravens are the only birds that seem to create mischief just for the sake of mischief.
                I believe that.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

They wouldn't say that if they had ever seen Pyfillun in action - always got an eye for the main chance, that pigeon has. Or come to think of it, Bomber. He never lands - just lines up another pigeon on the ground, hovers over it, then folds his wings and falls on it.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 07-24-2017, 04:38 AM.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    You know, I have never noticed any. They look rather plain so I might have seen them and never paid attention.

Can they imitate speech?
                    No, but I've heard them imitate kittens.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      No, but I've heard them imitate kittens.
                      And wounded rabbits.

Comment

Yeah, especially playing pranks on people trying to relax in their backyard.

Comment

I think this Australian Lyrebird puts the mockingbird to shame.

Start at 1:55. It can do camera shutters and motor drives and even a freaking chainsaw.

Comment

I think this Australian Lyrebird puts the mockingbird to shame.

Start at 1:55. It can do camera shutters and motor drives and even a freaking chainsaw.
                            That seems to be unique to a handful of them, only. The ability may be there, but the bird in that video is captive. It's exposed to sounds the typical lyrebird wouldn't hear.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              That seems to be unique to a handful of them, only. The ability may be there, but the bird in that video is captive. It's exposed to sounds the typical lyrebird wouldn't hear.
                              uh, right. the point is how amazing they can imitate mechanical sounds like cameras and chainsaws. I don't care if most of them haven't been exposed to those sounds. You aren't impressed?

I guess....

4827468+_2a6fb05f9aed82a3807623e997867ff9.jpg

Comment

uh, right. the point is how amazing they can imitate mechanical sounds like cameras and chainsaws. I don't care if most of them haven't been exposed to those sounds. You aren't impressed?

I guess....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23440[/ATTACH]
                                TBH, that video is eight years old. I'd seen it before (I think on this site, even), so the impact was lost on me. I was curious about those technology sounds, though, so I did a little reading on it. What I found is what I posted.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X