Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

I like Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Windows 10

There, I said it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There, I said it.
    Just not Creator's Update. It should die.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There are things to be said for Windows 10 - some of them are even suitable for polite company.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Just not Creator's Update. It should die.
        rutroh
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          There are things to be said for Windows 10 - some of them are even suitable for polite company.
          I immediately install Classic Shell because I really like the Win 7 style startup.

Comment

I like it too. I hated windows 8. I still like the look of windows 7 Aero though. I think the windows 10 look is too plain and flat.

What is wrong with the Creators Update, Bill?

Comment

I haven't used it much, but I'm not impressed so far. I really hate Cortana, and I've had issues with connecting my laptop to my desktop or to a friend's PC via HomeGroup/LAN ever since I put Windows 10 on it, whereas I never had any problems when it was running Windows 7.

Comment

I've been missing the Windows Classic theme in 8 and 10; 7 was the last to have it. I wouldn't mind the developers putting that back in there with their next build.
                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  I've been missing the Windows Classic theme in 8 and 10; 7 was the last to have it. I wouldn't mind the developers putting that back in there with their next build.
                  Classic Shell works great for the look and feel of Win 7

http://www.classicshell.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What is wrong with the Creators Update, Bill?
                    If you like to game, and you have a better than stock video card, Creator's Update trashes most of them. You have to opt to run it with the lower end generic graphics card driver. I've had to show 5 people I know how to select their generic video card drivers just to play World of Tanks. Plus the antivirus that I bought isn't compatible with Creator Update, and it forces you to buy a newer version. There's some other nasty features, like Cortana eavesdropping on your conversations and customizing your advertising based on what you talk about, Windows Store apps croaking, forcing you to run a PowerShell script to reinstall it, and the ever-popular Edge and Task Manager failing... No thanks. I'm sticking with 1607 until they force me.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Classic Shell works great for the look and feel of Win 7

http://www.classicshell.net/
                      That's fine for the Start menu and Explorer, but I was talking about a Windows 95/98/ME default-style skin, called the "Windows Classic" theme in XP/Vista/7.

If you like to game, and you have a better than stock video card, Creator's Update trashes most of them.
                      Mr. mossy plays a game called Midnight Castle, and since updating his compy to Windows 10 Creator's Update, I found out that I had to decrease his desktop resolution just so that that game wouldn't crash on him when starting up. That seemed to be the only issue with him, though.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

If you like to game, and you have a better than stock video card, Creator's Update trashes most of them. You have to opt to run it with the lower end generic graphics card driver. I've had to show 5 people I know how to select their generic video card drivers just to play World of Tanks. Plus the antivirus that I bought isn't compatible with Creator Update, and it forces you to buy a newer version. There's some other nasty features, like Cortana eavesdropping on your conversations and customizing your advertising based on what you talk about, Windows Store apps croaking, forcing you to run a PowerShell script to reinstall it, and the ever-popular Edge and Task Manager failing... No thanks. I'm sticking with 1607 until they force me.

huh. I never noticed any of that. But then I don't play games on it other than angry birds. Why does it trash high end graphics cards? That doesn't make sense.

although I do have a surface pro 4 which is all microsoft hardware.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          huh. I never noticed any of that. But then I don't play games on it other than angry birds. Why does it trash high end graphics cards? That doesn't make sense.
                          NVidia cards are particularly susceptible. Whatever Creators Update does, it causes issues ranging from having to reduce resolution to hanging at the BIOS screen on reboot to actual BSODs. Here's a pretty good list of complaints:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...nce-complaints
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

NVidia cards are particularly susceptible. Whatever Creators Update does, it causes issues ranging from having to reduce resolution to hanging at the BIOS screen on reboot to actual BSODs. Here's a pretty good list of complaints:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...nce-complaints
                            Sounds like they really blew the beta tests (if there were any)

Comment

Yesterday I updated my lappy, running IIS, to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It suddenly developed this problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-on-windows-10

I tried the fix and it didn't work. I'm presently taking it back to Windows 8.1.

(But on the other hand, Mr. mossy's computer seems to have taken Windows 10 Fall Creators Update quite well; no problems with his as of yet.)
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment