Thread: I like Windows 10

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Classic Shell works great for the look and feel of Win 7

http://www.classicshell.net/
    That's fine for the Start menu and Explorer, but I was talking about a Windows 95/98/ME default-style skin, called the "Windows Classic" theme in XP/Vista/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    If you like to game, and you have a better than stock video card, Creator's Update trashes most of them.
    Mr. mossy plays a game called Midnight Castle, and since updating his compy to Windows 10 Creator's Update, I found out that I had to decrease his desktop resolution just so that that game wouldn't crash on him when starting up. That seemed to be the only issue with him, though.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you like to game, and you have a better than stock video card, Creator's Update trashes most of them. You have to opt to run it with the lower end generic graphics card driver. I've had to show 5 people I know how to select their generic video card drivers just to play World of Tanks. Plus the antivirus that I bought isn't compatible with Creator Update, and it forces you to buy a newer version. There's some other nasty features, like Cortana eavesdropping on your conversations and customizing your advertising based on what you talk about, Windows Store apps croaking, forcing you to run a PowerShell script to reinstall it, and the ever-popular Edge and Task Manager failing... No thanks. I'm sticking with 1607 until they force me.

huh. I never noticed any of that. But then I don't play games on it other than angry birds. Why does it trash high end graphics cards? That doesn't make sense.

although I do have a surface pro 4 which is all microsoft hardware.
    Last edited by Sparko; 07-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    huh. I never noticed any of that. But then I don't play games on it other than angry birds. Why does it trash high end graphics cards? That doesn't make sense.
    NVidia cards are particularly susceptible. Whatever Creators Update does, it causes issues ranging from having to reduce resolution to hanging at the BIOS screen on reboot to actual BSODs. Here's a pretty good list of complaints:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...nce-complaints

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    NVidia cards are particularly susceptible. Whatever Creators Update does, it causes issues ranging from having to reduce resolution to hanging at the BIOS screen on reboot to actual BSODs. Here's a pretty good list of complaints:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...nce-complaints
    Sounds like they really blew the beta tests (if there were any)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yesterday I updated my lappy, running IIS, to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It suddenly developed this problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-on-windows-10

I tried the fix and it didn't work. I'm presently taking it back to Windows 8.1.

(But on the other hand, Mr. mossy's computer seems to have taken Windows 10 Fall Creators Update quite well; no problems with his as of yet.)
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight_spam!

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm still on Windows 7.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

7. Amen The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I'm still on Windows 7.

All the besterest people are.

I'm always still in trouble again

9. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I'm still on Windows 7.

I still am on my desktop.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight_spam!

11. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    Yesterday I updated my lappy, running IIS, to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It suddenly developed this problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-on-windows-10

I tried the fix and it didn't work. I'm presently taking it back to Windows 8.1.

(But on the other hand, Mr. mossy's computer seems to have taken Windows 10 Fall Creators Update quite well; no problems with his as of yet.)
    I have had hit or miss with windows 10 and older laptops. I have one old Vista laptop that I installed windows 10 on and it worked fine until I tried to install the Creator's Update (the original one not the new Fall update) - when I did that, the screen stopped working. so I went back to the earlier version of 10. I haven't tried the fall creators update yet.

On another one, I have windows 7. I tried updating to windows 10 and it sort of worked but instead of recognizing the ATI graphics card, it only saw it as a generic graphics card. Since I use it for gaming, that wasn't good enough so I went back to windows 7.

On some desktops I have, I installed windows 10 on them and they worked fine.

For me it always seems to be graphics related though.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have had hit or miss with windows 10 and older laptops. I have one old Vista laptop that I installed windows 10 on and it worked fine until I tried to install the Creator's Update (the original one not the new Fall update) - when I did that, the screen stopped working. so I went back to the earlier version of 10. I haven't tried the fall creators update yet.

On another one, I have windows 7. I tried updating to windows 10 and it sort of worked but instead of recognizing the ATI graphics card, it only saw it as a generic graphics card. Since I use it for gaming, that wasn't good enough so I went back to windows 7.

On some desktops I have, I installed windows 10 on them and they worked fine.

For me it always seems to be graphics related though.
    Yeah, sometimes I use a short video clip embedded in our powerpoints for Church, and after Windows 10, the videos would either play choppy or draggy or not at all. We tried and tried to figure it out, and finally I saw something when I Googled the problem having to do with "if you have multiple video outputs"....

We have a big screen at the back of the auditorium, and two projectors toward the front, so, yeah, multiple outputs. It said "uncheck video acceleration" in Powerpoint.

ONE "uncheck", and problem solved!!!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.