Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Europe not really feeling the desire to avenge Hillary Clinton's humiliating defeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe not really feeling the desire to avenge Hillary Clinton's humiliating defeat

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...against-russia

BERLIN (AP) — Germany and Austria voiced sharp criticism Thursday of the latest U.S. sanctions against Moscow, saying they could affect European businesses involved in piping in Russian natural gas.

The United States Senate voted Wednesday to slap new sanctions on key sectors of Russia's economy and individuals over its interference in the 2016 U.S. election campaign and its aggression in
    Syria ( ) and Ukraine. The measures were attached to a bill targeting Iran.

In a joint statement, Austria's Chancellor Christian Kern and Germany's Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said it was important for Europe and the United States to form a united front on the issue of Ukraine, where Russian-based separatists have been fighting government forces since 2014.

"However, we can't accept the threat of illegal and extraterritorial sanctions against European companies," the two officials said, citing a section of the bill that calls for the United States to continue to oppose the Nord Stream 2 pipeline that would pump Russian gas to Germany beneath the Baltic Sea.
    The liberal-neocon axis of evil seems to be going through hard times.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

The leaders of Western Europe are more disgusted and and disappointed having to deal with Donald Trump for at least 3 1/2 than to worry about Hillary.

Source: http://www.politico.eu/article/trump-confirms-europes-worst-fears/

U.S. President Donald Trump (center) delivers a speech next to NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg (left) at NATO headquarters in Brussels on May 25, 2017 | Mandel Ngan/Getty Images

Trump confirms Europe’s worst fears

Worried continental leaders discover that the U.S. president’s brash and unpredictable persona is not an act.

U.S. President Donald Trump (center) delivers a speech next to NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg (left) at NATO headquarters in Brussels on May 25, 2017 | Mandel Ngan/Getty Images
    Worried continental leaders discover that the U.S. president’s brash and unpredictable persona is not an act.
    By MATTHEW KARNITSCHNIG 5/26/17, 8:28 PM CET Updated 5/29/17, 5:30 AM CET
    BRATISLAVA — If “hope dies last,” as a favorite German aphorism goes, Europe needs to find a Plan B for dealing with Donald Trump.

For months, Europe’s leaders quietly hoped the American president’s bark wasn’t as bad as his bite, that his cartoonish public persona was just that — a caricature that would give way to a more sober, statesmanlike approach once he took office.

No more.

Trump’s speech at NATO’s new Brussels headquarters on Thursday, in which he again berated U.S. allies for not spending enough on defense and suggested they “owe massive amounts” in back payments, confirmed to Europe’s leadership that Trump doesn’t just play the Ugly American on TV.

His characterization of Germany as “bad” for selling too many cars in the U.S. (many of which are made there) betrayed what some European officials say is at best a crude understanding of transatlantic commerce and at worst, shocking ignorance.

For Europe, any remaining embers of hope that Trump could be reasoned with were doused in Brussels.

“It took him just a couple of hours to undo all of the goodwill Pence and Mattis and others in the administration had built with Europe over the past couple of months,” a recently retired senior U.S. defense official said, referring to a diplomatic offensive that included trips by Vice President Mike Pence and Defense Secretary James Mattis to reassure European allies after Trump’s inauguration.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The leaders of Western Europe are more disgusted and and disappointed having to deal with Donald Trump for at least 3 1/2 than to worry about Hillary.

Source: http://www.politico.eu/article/trump-confirms-europes-worst-fears/

By MATTHEW KARNITSCHNIG 5/26/17, 8:28 PM CET Updated 5/29/17, 5:30 AM CET
      BRATISLAVA — If “hope dies last,” as a favorite German aphorism goes, Europe needs to find a Plan B for dealing with Donald Trump.

For months, Europe’s leaders quietly hoped the American president’s bark wasn’t as bad as his bite, that his cartoonish public persona was just that — a caricature that would give way to a more sober, statesmanlike approach once he took office.

No more.

Trump’s speech at NATO’s new Brussels headquarters on Thursday, in which he again berated U.S. allies for not spending enough on defense and suggested they “owe massive amounts” in back payments, confirmed to Europe’s leadership that Trump doesn’t just play the Ugly American on TV.

His characterization of Germany as “bad” for selling too many cars in the U.S. (many of which are made there) betrayed what some European officials say is at best a crude understanding of transatlantic commerce and at worst, shocking ignorance.

For Europe, any remaining embers of hope that Trump could be reasoned with were doused in Brussels.

“It took him just a couple of hours to undo all of the goodwill Pence and Mattis and others in the administration had built with Europe over the past couple of months,” a recently retired senior U.S. defense official said, referring to a diplomatic offensive that included trips by Vice President Mike Pence and Defense Secretary James Mattis to reassure European allies after Trump’s inauguration.

© Copyright Original Source

Please stay on topic or I will ask you to leave the thread.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        https://www.usnews.com/news/business...against-russia

The liberal-neocon axis of evil seems to be going through hard times.
        I'm guessing that Syria was thrown in to get some more Dem support.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'm guessing that Syria was thrown in to get some more Dem support.
          I would have thought dems would be the driving force of this given that it was their candidate that was humiliated in the wake of the hacks. The bigger question is what the neocons have to gain.

Germany/Austria think the US wants to sanction Russia to benefit its own shale oil distribution (an accusation almost certainly not without merit given neocon enthusiasm for the sanctions). I'm curious how liberals on this board square wanting strong relationships with European allies with sanctioning Russia for humiliating Hillary Clinton.

Comment