Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 91

Thread: Commentary Thread: Is the Bible Inspired by God

  1. #61
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    167
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    37818 claiming "Does not prove the original had the error" is an assumption because we do not have the originals as these originals are lost.

  2. #62
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    343
    Amen (Given)
    45
    Amen (Received)
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    37818 claiming "Does not prove the original had the error" is an assumption because we do not have the originals as these originals are lost.
    We have copies of the originals.

    AND, Islam does not have the original Qur'an either. All variants were destroyed by Ultman and a standard copy was made.

  3. #63
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,185
    Amen (Given)
    815
    Amen (Received)
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    We have copies of the originals.

    AND, Islam does not have the original Qur'an either. All variants were destroyed by Ultman and a standard copy was made.
    Actually it is worst than that, The original Qur'an as claimed was an oral revelation, it was only written upon its recitations after the initial claimed revelations. Not at the act the claimed revelation. The Arabic for the current copies of the Arabic Qur'an was put together in 1924 and revised in 1926 etc. There are no single copy of the Arabic Qur'an prior to 1924 that is identical to it.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  4. #64
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    167
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    Christian3 saying "We have copies of the originals" is without basis. In his work, The Encyclopedia of Biblical Difficulties, professor Gleason Archer of Evangelical Divinity School admits that "we must deal with the very real problem of the complete disappearance of the autographa (the originals)"

    I am not commenting on any book except the Bible as this thread is about the debate of the inspiration of the Bible.

  5. #65
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,185
    Amen (Given)
    815
    Amen (Received)
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    Christian3 saying "We have copies of the originals" is without basis. In his work, The Encyclopedia of Biblical Difficulties, professor Gleason Archer of Evangelical Divinity School admits that "we must deal with the very real problem of the complete disappearance of the autographa (the originals)"
    What are the copies from? Are you not making some type of claim that the autographs of said copies had said errors?

    I am asking you, how do you know any said error is from the source autograph and not an error do to the copyist?
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  6. Amen Christian3 amen'd this post.
  7. #66
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    167
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    37818 asked "What are the copies from? Are you not making some type of claim that the autographs of said copies had said errors?"

    Answer: I was not debating the preservation of the Bible. In this regard, there is one fact undisputed that we do not have the originals. I only assert one thing that the Bible has contradictions. For example, 2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahazaiah was 22 when he began to rule" whereas 2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Ahazaiah was 42 when he began to rule"

    In any language in the word, 42 and 22 are not same.

    37818 asked "I am asking you, how do you know any said error is from the source autograph and not an error do to the copyist?"

    I am not commenting on the preservation of the Bible because this thread is about commenting on the debate of the inspiration of the Bible.

  8. #67
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,166
    Amen (Given)
    17089
    Amen (Received)
    3377
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    37818 asked "What are the copies from? Are you not making some type of claim that the autographs of said copies had said errors?"

    Answer: I was not debating the preservation of the Bible. In this regard, there is one fact undisputed that we do not have the originals. I only assert one thing that the Bible has contradictions. For example, 2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahazaiah was 22 when he began to rule" whereas 2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Ahazaiah was 42 when he began to rule"

    In any language in the word, 42 and 22 are not same.

    37818 asked "I am asking you, how do you know any said error is from the source autograph and not an error do to the copyist?"

    I am not commenting on the preservation of the Bible because this thread is about commenting on the debate of the inspiration of the Bible.
    The two topics are linked, if it wasn't preserved properly, then you can't say the originals were in error. If you tried to apply the same standard to the Quran that you are the Biblical works, then you would have to give the Quran an even worse score with regards to inspiration.

  9. Amen Christian3, 37818 amen'd this post.
  10. #68
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,185
    Amen (Given)
    815
    Amen (Received)
    442
    There is a topic called, "Biblical Errancy."

    It has three components:
    1. The reader of the text.
    2. The translation of the text.
    3. Known copyist errors.

    So what inerrancy is not:
    1. The reader.
    2. The translation.
    3. The copyist.

    Biblical inerrancy has always been that God is inerrant. So God as His word was given to the human writers is inerrant. The autographs. Of which we only have copies from.

    There is God's Holy Spirit which He has placed in His followers through faith in His grace, in His Christ.
    Last edited by 37818; 02-27-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  11. #69
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    167
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    37818, my offer is clear that the Bible is not the word of God in light of the following contradiction in the Bible; 2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahzaiah was 22 when he began to rule" while 2 Chronicles 22:2 says ""Ahzaiah was 42 when he began to rule". I am sure this is not what God inspired because 42 and 22 are not same unless the reader is crazy.

  12. #70
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,166
    Amen (Given)
    17089
    Amen (Received)
    3377
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    37818, my offer is clear that the Bible is not the word of God in light of the following contradiction in the Bible; 2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahzaiah was 22 when he began to rule" while 2 Chronicles 22:2 says ""Ahzaiah was 42 when he began to rule". I am sure this is not what God inspired because 42 and 22 are not same unless the reader is crazy.
    Commanding evil, and not commanding evil are the opposite, yet the Quran ascribes both to Allah.

    And when We desire to destroy a city, WE COMMAND its men who live at ease, AND THEY COMMIT UNGODLINESS therein, then the Word is realized against it, and We destroy it utterly. S. 17:16

    Surely God bids to justice and good-doing and giving to kinsmen; and He forbids indecency, dishonour, and insolence, admonishing you, so that haply you will remember. S. 16:90

    And whenever they commit an indecency they say, 'We found our fathers practising it, and God has commanded us to do it.' Say: 'God does not command indecency; what, do you say concerning God such things as you know not?' S. 7:28

    Both A, and not A are logically contradictory. Having such in the Quran is worse than having a numerical error creep in by copyist error.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •