Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I've got that sinking feeling ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got that sinking feeling ...

Didn’t see that coming.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40686984
    Watch the big money rush to buy up higher ground.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...a-level-rises/
    Last edited by firstfloor; 07-25-2017, 08:05 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Yee-haaw! I am gonna buy some land in Denver and get rich selling beachfront condos!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yee-haaw! I am gonna buy some land in Denver and get rich selling beachfront condos!
      That's stretching things a bit. OTOH, I have some soon-to-be-beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Watch the big money rush to buy up higher ground.
        https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...a-level-rises/

https://miami.curbed.com/maps/miami-...-neighborhoods

Mid Beach (4 ft above sea level) and Little Haiti (7 ft above sea level) are the 3rd and 5th hottest markets in Miami right now. As you can see in the link, 6 of the top 11 hottest markets in Miami are less than 10 ft above sea level, and Mid Beach, the lowest of the 6, has had an increase of 11% in median home sale price. So, the "big money" isn't abandoning the lower areas. And they aren't moving out like the article claims either. All 6 areas directly on the beach list a decrease in home listings.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          That's stretching things a bit. OTOH, I have some soon-to-be-beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.
          OK but what about the sharks?

135512.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Mid Beach (4 ft above sea level) and Little Haiti (7 ft above sea level) are the 3rd and 5th hottest markets in Miami right now. As you can see in the link, 6 of the top 11 hottest markets in Miami are less than 10 ft above sea level, and Mid Beach, the lowest of the 6, has had an increase of 11% in median home sale price. So, the "big money" isn't abandoning the lower areas. And they aren't moving out like the article claims either. All 6 areas directly on the beach list a decrease in home listings.
            B-but, last month Al Gore was pontificating about how parts of Miami and Honolulu as well are already underwater when he declared that during high tide ocean fish are swimming in the streets of both cities -- not during heavy storms but on sunny days. Of course, if that was indeed the case then the beaches adjoining those cities would also be underwater even during low tide or at the very least unusable during much of the day.

Funny how something like that was never reported on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              B-but, last month Al Gore was pontificating about how parts of Miami and Honolulu as well are already underwater when he declared that during high tide ocean fish are swimming in the streets of both cities -- not during heavy storms but on sunny days. Of course, if that was indeed the case then the beaches adjoining those cities would also be underwater even during low tide or at the very least unusable during much of the day.

The Elliman Report in Miami shows the beachfront housing market is improving.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Hilarious. When confronted on his exaggerations in his movie, he doubles down and exaggerates even more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Hilarious. When confronted on his exaggerations in his movie, he doubles down and exaggerates even more!
                  And to think he was a few hanging chads from the White House.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Probably because Miami is already spending a bunch of money on systems to keep the water out. They have been for a few years now.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      Probably because Miami is already spending a bunch of money on systems to keep the water out. They have been for a few years now.
                      What are they doing to keep the sea level below the 4ft mark at Mid Beach?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I think Al Gore is helping to install hydraulic jacks under Florida using drug money. It will raise Florida up as the sea rises.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          I haven't been following their progress, and I won't pretend to know specifics about any particular area. However, here are some links that might point you in the right direction:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...sea-level-rise

http://interactive.fusion.net/pumpit/

http://www.miamidade.gov/planning/bo...level-rise.asp

It doesn't sound like they're willing or able to save everywhere. I don't know how they're deciding which areas to save. Those links appear to be aimed primarily at the South Beach area.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Financial institutions have been taking steps.

“[In 2014, Henri de Castries, chairman and CEO of AXA, said: “Climate risk for us is neither an ideological or theoretical issue: it is a core business issue, as we are already seeing the impact of increasing weather-related disaster risks. Extreme weather events are increasing in intensity and severity. Last year alone, AXA paid out over €1bn globally in weather-related insurance claims.”

De Castries’ comments provide an important perspective on climate risk – it is fundamentally a financial and economic risk to financial institutions. So it is not surprising that regulators are taking an interest. Mark Carney, governor of the Bank Of England, and chairman of the Financial Stability Board, stood in front of the Lutine Bell at Lloyd’s of London – the spiritual home of insurance – and announced to the assembled captains of the industry that climate change was real: “The combination of the weight of scientific evidence and the dynamics of the financial system suggest that, in the fullness of time, climate change will threaten financial resilience and longer-term prosperity.”]”

http://www.theactuary.com/features/2...-institutions/
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-flooding.html

I'd also suggest using Google images to look for "sunny day flooding miami". If you want details on the extent of it along the US Eastern seaboard, i'd suggest this NOAA report:
                              http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...eflooding.html

The fish appear to have been elsewhere in Florida:
                              http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...e47483575.html

In any case, i recommend against basing any factual determination about what people are willing to spend their money on or not. People throw money at the strangest things.
                              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment