Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Imprecatory prayer

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Imprecatory prayer

An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

2. Amen Cow Poke, Wildflower amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
    Given Paul's rhetoric in various places, notably Galatians, I think there needs to be some other way to interpret and apply those passages other than their being obviated by the change in Covenants.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Given Paul's rhetoric in various places, notably Galatians, I think there needs to be some other way to interpret and apply those passages other than their being obviated by the change in Covenants.
    But the key word there is rhetoric, which allows for differing interpretations of the statements. I don't think this is enough to overturn a direct commandment from Jesus to pray for one's enemies.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

5. Amen Cow Poke, Wildflower amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    can you give us a link to the story? I haven't heard anything about it.

In the bible when people prayed against anyone as an enemy, they were praying for justice when they were being oppressed. This happened in the old testament a few time, but in the New Testament Jesus tells us to pray FOR our enemies, to help our neighbors.

While it is still good to hold people accountable for their sins (as in criminals) we should also pray that they turn to God and become saved.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As we have pointed out to atheists many times, the fact that something appears in the Bible does not indicate God's approval. God never said that we should call down evil on our enemies.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

8. Amen LostSheep, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My Momma always said, "be kind to your enemies because you made them!"

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen LostSheep, Wildflower, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I still can't find the news story about this preacher. anyone have a link?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why is the pastor in question "ultra conservative" rather than "conservative"? Why is that mentioned at all? His political affiliation doesn't make his actions wrong or right; all it does is smear others who are labeled "ultra conservative" or "conservative" with the same thing.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Link.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Why is the pastor in question "ultra conservative" rather than "conservative"? Why is that mentioned at all? His political affiliation doesn't make his actions wrong or right; all it does is smear others who are labeled "ultra conservative" or "conservative" with the same thing.
    Yep. There are the foolish and wicked in all groups - including all the political spectrum.