Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imprecatory prayer

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    As we have pointed out to atheists many times, the fact that something appears in the Bible does not indicate God's approval. God never said that we should call down evil on our enemies.
    He gave Elijah the power to call down fire on two groups of fifty soldiers sent by a faithless king to inquire of him; only when the third group begged for mercy did the angel of the LORD restrain him from calling down fire on them also. But when James and John asked Jesus if they should call down fire to consume the Samaritans for their lack of hospitality, Jesus rebuked them (but interestingly, did not say they lacked that authority or power).
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    He gave Elijah the power to call down fire on two groups of fifty soldiers sent by a faithless king to inquire of him; only when the third group begged for mercy did the angel of the LORD restrain him from calling down fire on them also. But when James and John asked Jesus if they should call down fire to consume the Samaritans for their lack of hospitality, Jesus rebuked them (but interestingly, did not say they lacked that authority or power).
    Elijah was given the power to defend himself for God's purpose. This was not just calling down evil on enemies.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Why is the pastor in question "ultra conservative" rather than "conservative"? Why is that mentioned at all? His political affiliation doesn't make his actions wrong or right; all it does is smear others who are labeled "ultra conservative" or "conservative" with the same thing.
    I wanted to demonstrate which side it was coming from, as that is relevant (is it a leftist who hates all things Republican?), and "ultra" is to distance him from mainstream conservatives. I figured that would be kind to the majority of posters here.

There are no news articles as of yet. I saw it from an acquaintance who posted it and supports the imprecatory prayer.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I wanted to demonstrate which side it was coming from, as that is relevant (is it a leftist who hates all things Republican?), and "ultra" is to distance him from mainstream conservatives. I figured that would be kind to the majority of posters here.

There are no news articles as of yet. I saw it from an acquaintance who posted it and supports the imprecatory prayer.
    This does not seem like you, KG. We do not even know who this guy is, there is no corroboration, and no way to tell if he (assuming this is more than fake new) liberal or conservative. And if this unknown man is in fact an ultra conservative, it does not seem to have any bearing on the issue at all. Liberals and conservatives both are subject to error (if this is indeed error).
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This does not seem like you, KG. We do not even know who this guy is, there is no corroboration, and no way to tell if he (assuming this is more than fake new) liberal or conservative. And if this unknown man is in fact an ultra conservative, it does not seem to have any bearing on the issue at all. Liberals and conservatives both are subject to error (if this is indeed error).
    I know somebody who is supporting it. The origins of the story don't matter. I simply want to discuss the ethics of imprecatory prayers since it does come up as an issue from time to time (such as when the Rev. Steven Anderson announced his prayers for Obama's death a few years ago http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...mas-death.html )

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    While it is still good to hold people accountable for their sins (as in criminals) we should also pray that they turn to God and become saved.
    Personal approach of mine is to pray that God moves them to repentance, otherwise remove their evil from land!!!
    "It's easier to say that it's not our [US Democrats'] fault, but Russians' fault, say that they interfered with the elections... It reminds me of anti-Semitism, when everything is Jews' fault. Someone is a mutt, can't do a thing, but the Jews are to be blamed. But we know where such an attitude leads to, it never ends well"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

so this is some facebook post or something? You made it sound like it was in the news.

Could you at least post what you have so we can see what we are even talking about? bleep out any profanity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    so this is some facebook post or something? You made it sound like it was in the news.

Could you at least post what you have so we can see what we are even talking about? bleep out any profanity.
    The entirety of the post is "Impreccatory prayers for McCain this morning." No, turns out it wasn't in the news. I think I was confusing him with Steven Anderson, who is from the same state and has been in the news for imprecatory prayers for Obama.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The entirety of the post is "Impreccatory prayers for McCain this morning." No, turns out it wasn't in the news. I think I was confusing him with Steven Anderson, who is from the same state and has been in the news for imprecatory prayers for Obama.
    OK.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So does anybody have any thoughts on the ethics of imprecatory prayer? If you don't like this example, was it justified when Anderson did it for Obama?