Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Imprecatory prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    While it is still good to hold people accountable for their sins (as in criminals) we should also pray that they turn to God and become saved.
    Personal approach of mine is to pray that God moves them to repentance, otherwise remove their evil from land!!!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I wanted to demonstrate which side it was coming from, as that is relevant (is it a leftist who hates all things Republican?), and "ultra" is to distance him from mainstream conservatives. I figured that would be kind to the majority of posters here.

There are no news articles as of yet. I saw it from an acquaintance who posted it and supports the imprecatory prayer.
      so this is some facebook post or something? You made it sound like it was in the news.

Could you at least post what you have so we can see what we are even talking about? bleep out any profanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        so this is some facebook post or something? You made it sound like it was in the news.

Could you at least post what you have so we can see what we are even talking about? bleep out any profanity.
        The entirety of the post is "Impreccatory prayers for McCain this morning." No, turns out it wasn't in the news. I think I was confusing him with Steven Anderson, who is from the same state and has been in the news for imprecatory prayers for Obama.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The entirety of the post is "Impreccatory prayers for McCain this morning." No, turns out it wasn't in the news. I think I was confusing him with Steven Anderson, who is from the same state and has been in the news for imprecatory prayers for Obama.
          OK.

Comment

So does anybody have any thoughts on the ethics of imprecatory prayer? If you don't like this example, was it justified when Anderson did it for Obama?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So does anybody have any thoughts on the ethics of imprecatory prayer? If you don't like this example, was it justified when Anderson did it for Obama?
              I'd say it's rather more in line with Jesus' teaching to pray that someone may have a change of heart rather than that someone have something bad happen to them.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I'd say it's rather more in line with Jesus' teaching to pray that someone may have a change of heart rather than that someone have something bad happen to them.

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Personal approach of mine is to pray that God moves them to repentance, otherwise remove their evil from land!!!

Comment

An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
                  It's actually very very simple. (Not talking about Mccain here but in general!)

If someone is trying to kill family, friends, or defenceless in society, I have no problems using violence to try to stop them.

Also, if someone is trying to kill family, friends, or defenceless in society, I have no problems asking Almighty God to take enemy out. Whether it is by conversion or hellfire doesn't matter much, really, and is anyway up to Him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    I have no problems asking Almighty God to take enemy out. Whether it is by conversion or hellfire doesn't matter much, really, and is anyway up to Him!!!
                    It should matter which. 1 Timothy 2:4 and 2 Peter 3:9 state that God wants all people to be saved. That too should be our preference for any given person.

Comment

An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
                      So God's morality changed?
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There's a very good demonstration of how imprecatory prayer should be conducted in Acts 4¨29 -30
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

One could be forgiven for supposing that that last sentence said something so blindingly obvious as to need no defence....

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            So God's morality changed?
                            Revelation is progressive. Not for God's sake, but for that of His People. "God, Who of old spoke through the Prophets...in these last days, by His Son..."; combined with "Of old, it was said to you...but I say to you..." - there is change in both the manner and the content of revelation. Change in the Bible, both within and between the Testaments, is one of its most obvious features - and it is not just change, but progression and development, however fitful at times. Accounting for this theologically is less important than the fact of it. If this is a challenge to our theologies and Bibliologies, so much the better.
                            Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 09-09-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              There's a very good demonstration of how imprecatory prayer should be conducted in Acts 4¨29 -30
                              There is also an indication of imprecatory prayer in Revelation:

Source: Rev. 18:6-8

Give back to her as she has given;
                              pay her back double for what she has done.
                              Pour her a double portion from her own cup.
                              Give her as much torment and grief
                              as the glory and luxury she gave herself.
                              In her heart she boasts,
                              ‘I sit enthroned as queen.
                              I am not a widow;
                              I will never mourn.’
                              Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her:
                              death, mourning and famine.
                              She will be consumed by fire,
                              for mighty is the Lord God who judges her.

© Copyright Original Source

See also Rev. 19, the first half of the chapter. I believe that imprecatory prayer is valid in some instances, Peter quotes from Psalm 69 (Act 19:20), Jesus said "I thirst" (John 19:28) so that Scripture (Ps. 69:21) would be fulfilled.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Last edited by lee_merrill; 09-09-2017, 04:07 PM.
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

It should matter which. 1 Timothy 2:4 and 2 Peter 3:9 state that God wants all people to be saved. That too should be our preference for any given person.
                                I want God's will to be done!!! We know He will burn some people forever, so again, let will of His be done!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X