Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Imprecatory prayer

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    So does anybody have any thoughts on the ethics of imprecatory prayer? If you don't like this example, was it justified when Anderson did it for Obama?
    I'd say it's rather more in line with Jesus' teaching to pray that someone may have a change of heart rather than that someone have something bad happen to them.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'd say it's rather more in line with Jesus' teaching to pray that someone may have a change of heart rather than that someone have something bad happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Personal approach of mine is to pray that God moves them to repentance, otherwise remove their evil from land!!!
    "It's easier to say that it's not our [US Democrats'] fault, but Russians' fault, say that they interfered with the elections... It reminds me of anti-Semitism, when everything is Jews' fault. Someone is a mutt, can't do a thing, but the Jews are to be blamed. But we know where such an attitude leads to, it never ends well"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
    It's actually very very simple. (Not talking about Mccain here but in general!)

If someone is trying to kill family, friends, or defenceless in society, I have no problems using violence to try to stop them.

Also, if someone is trying to kill family, friends, or defenceless in society, I have no problems asking Almighty God to take enemy out. Whether it is by conversion or hellfire doesn't matter much, really, and is anyway up to Him!!!
    "It's easier to say that it's not our [US Democrats'] fault, but Russians' fault, say that they interfered with the elections... It reminds me of anti-Semitism, when everything is Jews' fault. Someone is a mutt, can't do a thing, but the Jews are to be blamed. But we know where such an attitude leads to, it never ends well"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    I have no problems asking Almighty God to take enemy out. Whether it is by conversion or hellfire doesn't matter much, really, and is anyway up to Him!!!
    It should matter which. 1 Timothy 2:4 and 2 Peter 3:9 state that God wants all people to be saved. That too should be our preference for any given person.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    An ultra conservative pastor is making waves online after publicly calling for imprecatory prayer against John McCain. While I think few would support this, it does raise the question of how Christians should treat imprecatory prayer. It does, after all, appear in the Psalms. I would personally side with the view that Jesus's ethics leave no room for it under the New Covenant.
    So God's morality changed?
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's a very good demonstration of how imprecatory prayer should be conducted in Acts 4¨29 -30
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

7. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One could be forgiven for supposing that that last sentence said something so blindingly obvious as to need no defence....

Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    So God's morality changed?
    Revelation is progressive. Not for God's sake, but for that of His People. "God, Who of old spoke through the Prophets...in these last days, by His Son..."; combined with "Of old, it was said to you...but I say to you..." - there is change in both the manner and the content of revelation. Change in the Bible, both within and between the Testaments, is one of its most obvious features - and it is not just change, but progression and development, however fitful at times. Accounting for this theologically is less important than the fact of it. If this is a challenge to our theologies and Bibliologies, so much the better.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    There's a very good demonstration of how imprecatory prayer should be conducted in Acts 4¨29 -30
    There is also an indication of imprecatory prayer in Revelation:

Source: Rev. 18:6-8

Give back to her as she has given;
    pay her back double for what she has done.
    Pour her a double portion from her own cup.
    Give her as much torment and grief
    as the glory and luxury she gave herself.
    In her heart she boasts,
    ‘I sit enthroned as queen.
    I am not a widow;
    I will never mourn.’
    Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her:
    death, mourning and famine.
    She will be consumed by fire,
    for mighty is the Lord God who judges her.

© Copyright Original Source

See also Rev. 19, the first half of the chapter. I believe that imprecatory prayer is valid in some instances, Peter quotes from Psalm 69 (Act 19:20), Jesus said "I thirst" (John 19:28) so that Scripture (Ps. 69:21) would be fulfilled.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Last edited by lee_merrill; 09-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It should matter which. 1 Timothy 2:4 and 2 Peter 3:9 state that God wants all people to be saved. That too should be our preference for any given person.
    I want God's will to be done!!! We know He will burn some people forever, so again, let will of His be done!