Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Imprecatory prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    So does anybody have any thoughts on the ethics of imprecatory prayer? If you don't like this example, was it justified when Anderson did it for Obama?
    Really good question. I think that Jesus redefined who the enemy really was--the devil and sin. These are the true enemies against which we are to pray. These are at the root of the human enemies...the root that He conquered. Now God's people are to pray for people who are ensnared by the enemy Christ has vanquished.

The weapons of God's elect are no longer carnal, but spiritual. Now we fight spiritual warfare for a kingdom not "of" this world...a kingdom that doesn't play by the same rules as the kingdoms of the world.
    Last edited by Wildflower; 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM.
    Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflower View Post
      The weapons of God's elect are no longer carnal, but spiritual. Now we fight spiritual warfare for a kingdom not "of" this world...a kingdom that doesn't play by the same rules as the kingdoms of the world.
      Yes, and one yuge spiritual weapon is imprecatory prayer!!!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

Personal approach of mine is to pray that God moves them to repentance, otherwise remove their evil from land!!!
        We should pray that our enemies be converted and become our friends, and if not, that their doing and designing be bound to fail and have no success and that their persons perish rather than the Gospel and the kingdom of Christ. Thus the saintly martyr Anastasia, a wealthy, noble Roman matron, prayed against her husband, an idolatrous and terrible ravager of Christians, who had flung her into a horrible prison, in which she had to stay and die. There she lay and wrote to the saintly Chrysogonus diligently to pray for her husband that, if possible, he be converted and believe; but if not, that he be unable to carry out his plans and that he soon make an end of his ravaging. Thus she prayed him to death, for he went to war and did not return home. So we, too, pray for our angry enemies, not that God protect and strengthen them in their ways, as we pray for Christians, or that He help them, but that they be converted, if they can be; or, if they refuse, that God oppose them, stop them and end the game to their harm and misfortune

--Martin Luther

Comment

Yes, and one yuge spiritual weapon is imprecatory prayer!!!
          But not against flesh and blood.

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

We should pray that our enemies be converted and become our friends, and if not, that their doing and designing be bound to fail and have no success and that their persons perish rather than the Gospel and the kingdom of Christ. Thus the saintly martyr Anastasia, a wealthy, noble Roman matron, prayed against her husband, an idolatrous and terrible ravager of Christians, who had flung her into a horrible prison, in which she had to stay and die. There she lay and wrote to the saintly Chrysogonus diligently to pray for her husband that, if possible, he be converted and believe; but if not, that he be unable to carry out his plans and that he soon make an end of his ravaging. Thus she prayed him to death, for he went to war and did not return home. So we, too, pray for our angry enemies, not that God protect and strengthen them in their ways, as we pray for Christians, or that He help them, but that they be converted, if they can be; or, if they refuse, that God oppose them, stop them and end the game to their harm and misfortune

--Martin Luther
            You'll have to take either Luther or Jesus on this one.

Comment

I don't exactly take Martin Luther as a top authority on Christian ethics, especially given some of what he said about Jews.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

But not against flesh and blood.

Flesh and blood are agents of spiritual evil!

Comment

You'll have to take either Luther or Jesus on this one.
                  Except that Jesus didn't say anything about imprecatory prayer, libtard!!!

I don't exactly take Martin Luther as a top authority on Christian ethics, especially given some of what he said about Jews.
                  Quoting Luther is to show that idea I posted here about either/or being false is something dating back centuries (if not longer).

Pray for enemies to be saved, else for God to remove evil of theirs!!!

Comment

Refrain from using childish insults like "libtard" or get out of my thread. Your choice.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Let me know when you have good point to counter mine (not holding breath for it)!!

Comment

Flesh and blood are agents of spiritual evil!

Ephesians 6:12, "For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places."

2 Cor 10:4, "We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments."

Mt 5:43-47, “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends,how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that."

Comment

Except that Jesus didn't say anything about imprecatory prayer, libtard!!!
                          See post #41 above.

Comment

See post #41 above.
                            See all the posts I talked about how you can pray for enemies to be saved, and at same time pray for God's justice to come upon them! Like Luther!!

But no, you'll keep ignoring because you can't accept it!!!

Comment

See all the posts I talked about how you can pray for enemies to be saved, and at same time pray for God's justice to come upon them! Like Luther!!

But no, you'll keep ignoring because you can't accept it!!!
                              On what planet is being loving and kind to enemies the same as praying for their death?
                              Last edited by Wildflower; 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

On what planet is being loving and kind to enemies the same as praying for their death?
                                In real universe, not fantasy on where you in, loving, holy God wants to kill all humans for evil of theirs, but also at same time want to save them.

So we can pray to Him to save enemies and also at same time to judge them if they don't repent!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X