Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Study Disproves The Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study Disproves The Bible

Study disproves the Bible's suggestion that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out

The ancient Canaanites were not wiped out, as the Bible suggests, but went on to become modern-day Lebanese, a study has found.

Living between 3,000 and 4,000 years ago, the holy text suggests things did not end well for the people living in the Middle East.

According to a passage in Deuteronomy, God had ordered the Israelites to exterminate the Canaanites. “You shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them ... so that they may not teach you to do according to all their detestable things which they have done for their gods.”

It seems they didn't destroy them all, though. Examining the DNA of the region's ancient and modern inhabitants, the scientists found more than 90 per cent of the ancestry of modern-day Lebanese derived from the Canaanites.https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-dis...044956848.html
    Except the bible makes clear that all Canaanites were not destroyed:

The Israelites, when they were led to the Promised Land, were commanded utterly to destroy the descendants of Canaan then possessing it (Exodus 23:23; Numbers 33:52, 53; Deuteronomy 20:16, 17). This was to be done "by little and little," lest the beasts of the field should increase (Exodus 23:29; Deuteronomy 7:22, 23). The history of these wars of conquest is given in the Book of Joshua. The extermination of these tribes, however, was never fully carried out. Jerusalem was not taken till the time of David (2 Samuel 5:6, 7). In the days of Solomon bond-service was exacted from the fragments of the tribes still remaining in the land (1 Kings 9:20, 21). Even after the return from captivity survivors of five of the Canaanitish tribes were still found in the land.

http://biblehub.com/topical/c/canaanites.htm
    So the study actually confirms the bible.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Study disproves the Bible's suggestion that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out

Whoda guessed that goofy Yahoo journalists were unfamiliar with ancient war rhetoric?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Whoda guessed that goofy Yahoo journalists were unfamiliar with ancient war rhetoric?
      Yahoo's journalists are really, really not impressing me lately. If I didn't use their email and fantasy football apps, I wouldn't go there at all. If I didn't use their email for most of my personal correspondence, I'd consider dropping that, too.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think the original article came from the UK Telegraph...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Yahoo's journalists are really, really not impressing me lately. If I didn't use their email and fantasy football apps, I wouldn't go there at all. If I didn't use their email for most of my personal correspondence, I'd consider dropping that, too.
          I didn't know anyone still had a Yahoo account. Last I checked they updated their email though, so it looks somewhat comparable to gmail.

Comment

I stand corrected. They a tabloid or something?

Comment

ANE rhetoric is hard!!!! I'd rather be a fundy and assume that the text was written in English and dropped from the sky last Tuesday.

Comment

I didn't know anyone still had a Yahoo account. Last I checked they updated their email though, so it looks somewhat comparable to gmail.
                I use it for pretty much everything not work or Tweb-related.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I use it for pretty much everything not work or Tweb-related.
                  I keep a yahoo mail account to test my various exchange accounts. Sometimes, if I can't email from one exchange account to the other, it may be an MX record or DNS setting or something, so my yahoo account can send "from outside".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, but the kids who get their news from Yahoo will use this for years as one of their 1001 Errors in the Bible... penguin.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

how do they know what Canaanite DNA is to compare it to?

Comment

I stand corrected. They a tabloid or something?
                        The UK Telegraph is one of the right wing, Conservative Party supporting newspapers.

Comment

Hate to spoil all the fun but modern archaeology and study of the origins of Israelite religion have shown that the original Israelites were Canaanites and that Yahweh was just a minor polytheistic deity worshiped alongside others and subordinate to El the Canaanite deity. Only later did he become the "favorite" god of the Israelites and was promoted to "The only God" status after a long political and ideological process that culminated around the time of the Babylonian exile. Hate to break it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
                            Hate to spoil all the fun but modern archaeology and study of the origins of Israelite religion have shown that the original Israelites were Canaanites and that Yahweh was just a minor polytheistic deity worshiped alongside others and subordinate to El the Canaanite deity. Only later did he become the "favorite" god of the Israelites and was promoted to "The only God" status after a long political and ideological process that culminated around the time of the Babylonian exile. Hate to break it to you.
                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
                              You, sir, have quite the vivid imagination.

sigpic

Comment