Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Study Disproves The Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You, sir, have quite the vivid imagination.
    Eh, that is pretty much the prevailing view in much of Old Testament scholarship. There are, of course, plenty of scholars who take a different approach like Hoffmeier in Israel in Egypt, and Ancient Israel in Sinai, Richard Hess in Israelite Religions, Micheal Heiser in The Unseen Realm, Kenneth Kitchen On the Reliability of the Old Testament, etc.. More to the point, nothing he said has much to do with the OP, or anything that was said about the OP.
    Last edited by Adrift; 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Eh, that is pretty much the prevailing view in much of Old Testament scholarship.
      Huh. That's rather disappointing.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
        Hate to spoil all the fun but modern archaeology and study of the origins of Israelite religion have shown that the original Israelites were Canaanites and that Yahweh was just a minor polytheistic deity worshiped alongside others and subordinate to El the Canaanite deity. Only later did he become the "favorite" god of the Israelites and was promoted to "The only God" status after a long political and ideological process that culminated around the time of the Babylonian exile. Hate to break it to you.
        You'll have an opportunity to explain your wacky theory to One True God in due time.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Huh. That's rather disappointing.
          Yeah it is. But these sorts of prevailing views tend to swing from period to period as new discoveries, and new researchers reassess the data. We see it happening all the time in New Testament studies.

Comment

"The original god of Israel was El. This reconstruction may be inferred from two pieces of information. First, the name of Israel is not a Yahwistic name with the divine element of Yahweh, but an El name, with the element, *’ ēl. This fact would suggest that El was the original chief god of the group named Israel."

"Yet early on, Yahweh is understood as Israel’s god in distinction to El. Deuteronomy 32:8-9 casts Yahweh in the role of one of the sons of El, here called ‘elyôn...

This passage presents an order in which each deity received its own nation. Israel was the nation that Yahweh received. It also suggests that Yahweh, originally a warrior-god from Sinai/Paran/Edom/Teiman, was known separately from El at an early point in early Israel."
            - Mark S. Smith, The Early History of God, pg. 32.
            https://books.google.com/books?id=1y...page&q&f=false

This guy teaches at Princeton and is representing the mainstream consensus view. Not so funny anymore is it?
            Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
              Hate to spoil all the fun but modern archaeology and study of the origins of Israelite religion have shown that the original Israelites were Canaanites and that Yahweh was just a minor polytheistic deity worshiped alongside others and subordinate to El the Canaanite deity. Only later did he become the "favorite" god of the Israelites and was promoted to "The only God" status after a long political and ideological process that culminated around the time of the Babylonian exile. Hate to break it to you.
              As much as it pains me to agree with you, that's largely the case. I wouldn't say all the original Israelites were Canaanites, but certainly a large number of them were. I think you can characterize pre-exilic Israelite religion as henotheistic, rather than polytheistic. It's clear that the J source believes that YHWH is the high god, though certainly not the only one.

I don't think it's so much a political struggle as much as it's an attempt to grapple with the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Yeah it is. But these sorts of prevailing views tend to swing from period to period as new discoveries, and new researchers reassess the data. We see it happening all the time in New Testament studies.
                NT is less susceptible to these kinds of shifts, because NT is in many ways a much easier field. There's less information and time frame to cover, you need to know fewer languages, etc. Right now, NT is shifting away from history and towards more pastoral tools, or simply re-writing the text as however one sees fit.

Don't believe me? There was a recent article about "queering John's Jesus," seeing the Jesus portrayed in the Gospel of John as a queer black woman.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Study disproves the Bible's suggestion that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out

Except the bible makes clear that all Canaanites were not destroyed:

So the study actually confirms the bible.
                  I prefer more legitimate academic sources that local newspaper journalism based on selective references. There is no legitimate argument either way based on this.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                    As much as it pains me to agree with you, that's largely the case. I wouldn't say all the original Israelites were Canaanites, but certainly a large number of them were. I think you can characterize pre-exilic Israelite religion as henotheistic, rather than polytheistic. It's clear that the J source believes that YHWH is the high god, though certainly not the only one.

I don't think it's so much a political struggle as much as it's an attempt to grapple with the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem.
                    JEDP? Seriously??
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      JEDP? Seriously??
                      It seems that mainstream OT scholarship is still heavily dependent on it.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        JEDP? Seriously??
                        The Documentary Hypothesis (or JEDP) is still the view of the majority of OT scholars. Other views, like the supplementary hypothesis (Van Seters, most notably) and the fragmentary hypothesis have become increasingly popular in recent years.

I hold to something like the fragmentary hypothesis.

My issue with the DH is that the division of sources seems arbitrary and I'm not convinced that there inexorably has to be an evolution of Israelite religion in the way that Wellhausen and later writers saw.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                          NT is less susceptible to these kinds of shifts, because NT is in many ways a much easier field. There's less information and time frame to cover, you need to know fewer languages, etc. Right now, NT is shifting away from history and towards more pastoral tools, or simply re-writing the text as however one sees fit.

Don't believe me? There was a recent article about "queering John's Jesus," seeing the Jesus portrayed in the Gospel of John as a queer black woman.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            how do they know what Canaanite DNA is to compare it to?
                            They got DNA from ancient Canaanite burial sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              If you want to punish yourself, I can provide the article.

Comment

Evolutionists come to Bible's defense:

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/07/fo...-bible-around/
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment