Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Study Disproves The Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Evolutionists come to Bible's defense:

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/07/fo...-bible-around/
    David Klinghoffer is an Intelligent Design advocate at the Discovery Institute

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      David Klinghoffer is an Intelligent Design advocate at the Discovery Institute
      So what? All those articles about the bible being wrong were wrong themselves.

“Study disproves the Bible’s suggestion that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out” (The Telegraph)
      “Bible says Canaanites were wiped out by Israelites but scientists just found their descendants living in Lebanon” (The Independent)
      “Bronze Age DNA disproves the Bible’s claim that the Canaanites were wiped out: Study says their genes live on in modern-day Lebanese people” (Daily Mail)
      “Scientists Find Evidence That Ancient Canaanites Survive Today: Was The Bible Wrong?” (Tech Times)
      “New DNA study casts doubt on Bible claim” (Mother Nature Network)
      “The Bible was WRONG: Civilisation God ordered to be KILLED still live and kicking” (Express)
      “Genetic evidence suggests the Canaanites weren’t destroyed after all” (Ars Technica)
      “Canaanites Weren’t Annihilated by Ancient Israelites After All” (Newser)
      “Study disproves the Bible’s claim that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out” (Click Lancashire)
      “Canaanites survived Biblical ‘slaughter’, ancient DNA shows”(ABC Online)
      “DNA vs the Bible: Israelites did not wipe out the Canaanites” (Cosmos)
      “The Bible got it wrong: Ancient Canaanites survived and their DNA lives in modern-day Lebanese” (Pulse Headlines)
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        So what? All those articles about the bible being wrong were wrong themselves.
        Just pointing out that he isn't an evolutionist.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just pointing out that he isn't an evolutionist.
          Don't Intelligent Design types consider themselves evolutionists to some degree? It was my understanding that some did, but that they simply believed that evolution was guided rather than strictly natural.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Don't Intelligent Design types consider themselves evolutionists to some degree? It was my understanding that some did, but that they simply believed that evolution was guided rather than strictly natural.
            Most, although not all, are opposed to evolution. Klinghoffer belongs to that group.

Comment

It varies. Some accept macroevolution for the most part, but believe that an "intelligent designer" had to intervene at specific places, such as the creation of the bacterial flagellum.

Others are OECs, YECs, or a wide variety of things.

Comment

Huh. I wonder how (or why) Intelligent Design would be compatible with YEC.

Comment

Don't Intelligent Design types consider themselves evolutionists to some degree?
                  From an ID FAQ:

Source: Center for Science and Culture

However, the dominant theory of evolution today is neo-Darwinism, which contends that evolution is driven by natural selection acting on random mutations, an unpredictable and purposeless process that "has no discernable direction or goal, including survival of a species." (NABT Statement on Teaching Evolution). It is this specific claim made by neo-Darwinism that intelligent design theory directly challenges. (http://www.intelligentdesign.org/faq.php)

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

I don't see how it is either. ID seems to be a big tent party for anti-evolutionists.

Ronald Numbers' The Creationists is a really great source here, as is Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design by Forrest and Gross.

Comment

With some of those who reject evolution that is all that really matters. It's like Christian YECs joining hands with radical Islamic extremists who oppose evolution. You wouldn't think it would happen but it has.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Evolutionists come to Bible's defense:

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/07/fo...-bible-around/
                        What evolutionists? Do you think the staff of 'evolutionnews.org' are evolutionists?
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

"Creation means that the various forms of life began abruptly through the agency of an intelligent creator with their distinctive features already intact. Fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, and wings, etc."

"Intelligent design means that various forms of life began abruptly through an intelligent agency, with their distinctive features already intact. Fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, wings, etc."

Creationism and ID are not just compatible, they're the same thing. Just ask the cdesign proponentsists.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                            From an ID FAQ:

Source: Center for Science and Culture

However, the dominant theory of evolution today is neo-Darwinism, which contends that evolution is driven by natural selection acting on random mutations, an unpredictable and purposeless process that "has no discernable direction or goal, including survival of a species." (NABT Statement on Teaching Evolution). It is this specific claim made by neo-Darwinism that intelligent design theory directly challenges. (http://www.intelligentdesign.org/faq.php)

© Copyright Original Source

I thought that Intelligent Design types distinguished between natural/Darwinian evolution and a sort of guided evolution. Is that not a correct understanding of their view?

With some of those who reject evolution that is all that really matters. It's like Christian YECs joining hands with radical Islamic extremists who oppose evolution. You wouldn't think it would happen but it has.
                            So, to be clear, are you saying that they're just in cahoots with one another or that there really are YEC Intelligent Design types?

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            "Creation means that the various forms of life began abruptly through the agency of an intelligent creator with their distinctive features already intact. Fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, and wings, etc."

"Intelligent design means that various forms of life began abruptly through an intelligent agency, with their distinctive features already intact. Fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, wings, etc."

Creationism and ID are not just compatible, they're the same thing. Just ask the cdesign proponentsists.
                            Hmm. For some reason I assumed that almost all IDers were old earth creationists. By the way, the word "creationist" for "young earth creationist" always throws me. All Christians, and most theists are creationists in some regard. We all believe that the natural world was created at some point, we simply differ on when that creative action ceased.

Comment

Hmm. For some reason I assumed that almost all IDers were old earth creationists. By the way, the word "creationist" for "young earth creationist" always throws me. All Christians, and most theists are creationists in some regard. We all believe that the natural world was created at some point, we simply differ on when that creative action ceased.
                              Does the word "man" from "postman" also throw you off? Should they just be called posts?
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Does the word "man" from "postman" also throw you off? Should they just be called posts?
                                Are you contractually obligated to be an ass in every single thread you post in?

Comment