Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What should be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be done?

I know where about 3300 people own 140,000 square miles of good farmland. When poor landless farmers from outside try to set up a farm on this land, some are removed forcibly losing all the livestock, buildings and effort they put into the farms on this forbidden land. Some of these poor landless farmers are killed along with their families and the farms burned, sometimes with the farmer families inside the buildings.

What should be done? On the one hand the farmers are trespassing on privately owned land. On the other hand the farmers have no land of their own with which to feed their families.
    Should the land be taken from the 3300 owners and distributed to the poor?
    Should ownership rights be enforced and the poor landless farmers excluded?

Curious the views here. It would also be interesting to know the reasoning behind the answers.

Originally posted by grmorton View Post
    I know where about 3300 people own 140,000 square miles of good farmland. When poor landless farmers from outside try to set up a farm on this land, some are removed forcibly losing all the livestock, buildings and effort they put into the farms on this forbidden land. Some of these poor landless farmers are killed along with their families and the farms burned, sometimes with the farmer families inside the buildings.
    Where exactly is this happening...?

Comment

It's difficult to form a comprehensive opinion based on such a small amount of stipulated facts. I am wary of radical distribution of land but it is lamentable that such disparities of ownership opportunity exists.

Certainly killing people for trespassing is not a moral way to go about it. (I'm certain this isn't in the US, where you can even be held liable if a burglar slips on the ice while trying to get into your house from what I've heard.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What should be done? On the one hand the farmers are trespassing on privately owned land. On the other hand the farmers have no land of their own with which to feed their families.

Curious the views here. It would also be interesting to know the reasoning behind the answers.
        This sounds like a situation in a form of a Medieval society, or like the pre-Revolution Czarist Russia was like.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Can an individual even work 42 square miles of farmland by themself? That's the size of a large town or small city. You might want to check your units (or provide a source for your info).
          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
            Can an individual even work 42 square miles of farmland by themself? That's the size of a large town or small city. You might want to check your units (or provide a source for your info).
            They could hire help.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Serfdom sounds okay!!!
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                They could hire help.
                And / or have lots of children.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No one has answered my question. the facts and units are as specified. What should be done? This is one reason I don't come here much anymore--people don't answer questions which are asked, which are legitimate questions. If no one is going to answer, I won't tell you where this is or anything else about it.

Comment

No one has answered my question. the facts and units are as specified. What should be done? This is one reason I don't come here much anymore--people don't answer questions which are asked, which are legitimate questions. If no one is going to answer, I won't tell you where this is or anything else about it.
                    It's generally unwise to proscribe public policy based on a very limited amount of stipulated facts, so asking for clarification is legitimate.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What should be done?
                      Serfdom!

Comment

Sounds a little like Hawaii before the Land Reform Act of 1967.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

I suppose what you're aiming for is for someone to jump in & say:

"yeah, that's like, totally wrong and stuff"

And then you can be like:

"ha! We did this in [insert country here]! Isn't the oppressive capitalist state awful? And I know you think so coz you just agreed with me"

It just feels a bit like a poorly made trap is all, buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            I suppose what you're aiming for is for someone to jump in & say:

"yeah, that's like, totally wrong and stuff"

And then you can be like:

"ha! We did this in [insert country here]! Isn't the oppressive capitalist state awful? And I know you think so coz you just agreed with me"

It just feels a bit like a poorly made trap is all, buddy.
                            Sounds like you have nice fantasy world. But back to reality!!!

Like shuny said, 'sounds like a situation in a form of a Medieval society, or like the pre-Revolution Czarist Russia was like', where there was serfdom!

Originally posted by grmorton
                            Serfdom solves both of concerns here, so that land rights of landowners not violated, also poor get to farm and work so they don't starve!
                            Last edited by demi-conservative; 07-31-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

No one can give you a proper answer without you saying where this is or the other facts about it people have requested.

It's like if a random girl comes up to me and says "do you think I should break up with my boyfriend?" and then when I ask for more information about the situation, say they won't tell me until I give them the answer. But I can't give a legitimate answer without the information they refuse to provide until I give an answer.
                              Last edited by Terraceth; 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment