Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CRISPR - First Human Embryos 'Edited' in U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    It'd be all but impossible, as there are basically no genetic differences between caucasians, jews and blacks. All the genes in one gene pool, exist in any other gene pool. At best there's some mutations that are more common amongst certain ethnicities, but that's about it. Any attempt at creating such a virus would come back to hurt the one who launched it.

The lack of any significant genetic difference other than what is expected family relatedness, is one of many reasons that the concept of race as a biological reality is dead.
    There are specific genetic traits in various races, otherwise we would all look alike. But even scarier would be being able to target the specific DNA of an individual for assassination purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      There are specific genetic traits in various races, otherwise we would all look alike.
      This is actually false, though I'll see if I can find you the studies tomorrow. Basically it is impossible to draw a line around any ethnic group another, without genetic overlap. While its possible for certain rare mutations to exist much more frequently in one group, its still only a few genes. What we look like is caused by a complex interaction between many genes, and those are shared amongst all.

Race is almost entirely a social construct. It has no objective reality. Are there people with darker skin? Yes, but that is no more surprising to modern day biology than the fact there exists a family of all gingers. Its just neutral drift caused by long term isolation.

But even scarier would be being able to target the specific DNA of an individual for assassination purposes.
      That's much more plausible! And there are ways to wreck havoc on a person in such a way that they'd die many months later, so that it would be difficult to know who was the cause of it.

Personally though I think we'll see a lot of positive aspects of CRISPR, though its a difficult technology. Apparently there's a lot of side effect mutations. While they specifically change one gene a certain way, many others are also mutated. Apparently though this doesn't have as much of an effect as we could fear, as the majority of the human DNA is useless junk without function or purpose.

Comment

This is actually false, though I'll see if I can find you the studies tomorrow. Basically it is impossible to draw a line around any ethnic group another, without genetic overlap. While its possible for certain rare mutations to exist much more frequently in one group, its still only a few genes. What we look like is caused by a complex interaction between many genes, and those are shared amongst all.

Race is almost entirely a social construct. It has no objective reality. Are there people with darker skin? Yes, but that is no more surprising to modern day biology than the fact there exists a family of all gingers. Its just neutral drift caused by long term isolation.

That's much more plausible! And there are ways to wreck havoc on a person in such a way that they'd die many months later, so that it would be difficult to know who was the cause of it.

Personally though I think we'll see a lot of positive aspects of CRISPR, though its a difficult technology. Apparently there's a lot of side effect mutations. While they specifically change one gene a certain way, many others are also mutated. Apparently though this doesn't have as much of an effect as we could fear, as the majority of the human DNA is useless junk without function or purpose.
        from what I read, CRISPR is to DNA basically what "search and replace" is for word processors. You can search for specific genes and either eliminate them, or replace them with other genes. Kinda like an artificial virus.

I think this technology will change society, for good and bad, forever. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

edited to fix error.
        Last edited by Sparko; 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

You can't put the genie back in the bible.
          What strange heresy is this?
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

from what I read, CRISPR is to DNA basically what "search and replace" is for word processors. You can search for specific genes and either eliminate them, or replace them with other genes. Kinda like an artificial virus.

I think this technology will change society, for good and bad, forever. You can't put the genie back in the bible.
            Pretty much, though the last I've heard they discovered it makes errors on occasion. You have high precision in targetting a particular mutation you want to cause, but it also changes other things accidentally.

I'll try to get some links, but right now I'm a bit bushed. Got home from my new job, working at a company called Launch-It (the one in Aarhus). Its a great place, and I thank god for having a job again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              What strange heresy is this?
              lol. fingers doing the typing instead of the head. bottle. edited and fixed.

Comment

lol. fingers doing the typing instead of the head. bottle. edited and fixed.
                That's what every heretic says.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  That's what every heretic says.
                  Ok, I admit it. I think God is a genie and he used CRISPR to design human beings from lemurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    I would think where they replaced the gene would make it a weaker bond in the chromosome, making it more susceptible to other maladies. For example, fixing diabetes could end up increasing pancreatic cancer if the chromosome mutates at the weakened genetic area. It could also get passed on, and in a few generations, mutate to something deadly for the humans that inherit it.
                    Is there an actual scientific basis for this weaker bond concept? This sounds really made up.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      Is there an actual scientific basis for this weaker bond concept? This sounds really made up.
                      I doubt if that is anything real.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Nah. Just me trying to wrap my head around removing a portion of a strand and replacing it with no loss of integrity. Anything I have spliced over the years has been weaker at the splice.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nah. Just me trying to wrap my head around removing a portion of a strand and replacing it with no loss of integrity. Anything I have spliced over the years has been weaker at the splice.
                          DNA isn't like rope. It doesn't get weaker if you separate and reattach it. It's more like Lego than hemp.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The spliced DNA will be replicated soon enough.

Comment

Exactly. I don't think it works that way. Not even remotely.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pretty much, though the last I've heard they discovered it makes errors on occasion. You have high precision in targetting a particular mutation you want to cause, but it also changes other things accidentally.
                                Yeah, that's my worry - there's oodles of room for unintended consequences.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment