Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mueller impanels grand jury, is granted subpoenas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I only care about Bannon's actual words and the context in which they were said. I don't give a crap about the partisan spin applied by Mother Jones.

So rightly condemning the violence "on many sides" and then, after the facts were known, explicitly condemning certain groups by name proves that Trump is unfit for office?

Yeah, OK.
    The protesters were all racist white supremacist fascists, the counter protesters were patriotic anti-fascists, a sliver of whom were violent. Its a false equivalency to equate the former with the latter which is what Trump did, and the only reason for his doing so is because the fascists, like yourself, are his kind of people, his supporters. The racist supremacists knew that, after Trumps rant about the "violence on both sides", they thanked him for his support. Sad!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      I understand. You're only interested in what supports your Alt-Right agenda. I think most here realise this.
      I understand this as a pathetic attempt to smear MM via guilt by association.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
        I understand. You're only interested in what supports your Alt-Right agenda.
        I do not support the "Alt-Right" as the term has been defined by the left, and I would appreciate it if you would cease these false accusations.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
          The protesters were all racist white supremacist fascists, the counter protesters were patriotic anti-fascists, a sliver of whom were violent.
          I never knew you could fit so many logical fallacies into a single sentence. At a glance I see question begging, broad brushing, double standard, special pleading... it's a rather impressive piece of work.

Look, man, anybody who is conversant with the facts knows that both sides were ready to rumble, including your "patriotic anti-fascists" who came wielding clubs, shields, and dressed in body-armor. Statements from eyewitnesses make it abundantly clear that it was not a one-sided affair:

Source: Los Angeles Times

Charlottesville Daily Progress photographer Ryan Kelly: “I hitched a ride with my editor downtown, and I started wandering the mall. There were groups on both sides scattered. There were a few small fights that broke out from time to time. People were throwing stuff at each other. A few people were beating on each other.”

BuzzFeed News reporter Blake Montgomery: “Most white supremacist and Nazi groups arrived armed like a paramilitary force — carrying shields, protective gear, rods and, yes, lots of guns, utilizing Virginia’s loose firearm laws. They used militarized defensive maneuvers, shouting commands at one another to ‘move forward’ or ‘retreat,’ and would form a line of shields or a phalanx — it’s like they watched ‘300’ a few times — to gain ground or shepherd someone through projectiles. It seemed that they had practiced for this.”

Hunter Wallace, a far-right blogger at Occidental Dissent: “The streets were not barricaded. Violent antifa [anti-fascists] were not penned in their own area as per our agreement with the Charlottesville Police Department, but were roaming the streets and blocking the entrance to Lee Park. They immediately launched an attack on our group with mace, pepper spray, bricks, sticks and foul liquids. The police stood idly by on the sidelines while a brawl was allowed to ensue. We had to fight our way into Lee Park and dozens of our people were injured by mace and pepper spray as we marched through the gauntlet.”

“Marcus Cicero,” another far-right blogger at Occidental Dissent: “Now, to begin Saturday’s rally, the League of the South assembled at an area only a few blocks from Lee Park – I myself was one of the shield men. As we advanced down the street toward the park, I immediately noticed a horde of Antifa, BLM terrorists, and other assorted genetic refuse ready and willing to block the street leading up to our destination.”

Matt Parrott of Traditionalist Youth Network, a white supremacist group: “With a full-throated rebel yell, the League broke through the wall of degenerates and TradWorker managed to enter the Lee Park venue itself while they were largely still reeling. Michael Tubbs, an especially imposing League organizer towered over and pushed through the antifa like a Tyrannosaurus among raptors as league fighters with shields put their training to work.”

Washington Post reporter Joe Heim: “Counter-protesters fought back, also swinging sticks, punching and spraying chemicals. Others threw balloons filled with paint or ink at the white nationalists. Everywhere, it seemed violence was exploding. The police did not move to break up the fights.”

Washington Post reporter Joe Heim: “Although Virginia State Police and Charlottesville police were stationed along the sides and the rear of Emancipation Park, the Market Street side was unattended. As it filled with rally-goers and counter-protesters, the mix quickly became volatile. The two sides screamed at each other. ‘[Expletive] … Nazis!’ the counter-protesters chanted. ‘[More expletives]’ was the response from the park where the rally-goers stood behind metal barricades.”

Jordan Green in the Nation, a leftist publication: “A phalanx of black-helmeted white supremacists — members of the Traditionalist Workers Party, Identity Evropa, American Vanguard, and other hate warriors — commanded the steps at the southeast corner of the park, repelling attempted incursions by Wobblies, communists, and a multiracial cast of irregulars eager to fight back. Water bottles and other projectiles flew in both directions, while police tear-gas canisters thudded into an adjacent parking lot, oftentimes lobbed back into the park by plucky leftists.”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...story,amp.html

© Copyright Original Source

Our President was right to wisely condemn the "many sides" for their actions, or in the case of the police, for their lack of action.

Comment

Our President was right to wisely condemn the "many sides" for their actions, or in the case of the police, for their lack of action.
            Your president was a fool of hitherto unseen dimensions for trying to create a balance when no such balance could be created without being unjust to those who were killed.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              Your president was a fool of hitherto unseen dimensions for trying to create a balance when no such balance could be created without being unjust to those who were killed.
              If boths sides were to blame for the violence, which is clearly the case based on numerous eye-witness statements, then what's wrong with blaming both sides? I honestly don't understand the histrionics from the left, or why they seem so determined to give their guys a free pass while those of us on the right, including our President, are willing to look truth in the eye and condemn all responsible parties, regardless of which side of the political divide they happen to be on.

Seriously, man, are you trying to prove the suspicion that liberalism is a mental disorder?

Comment

If boths sides were to blame for the violence, which is clearly the case based on numerous eye-witness statements, then what's wrong with blaming both sides? I honestly don't understand the histrionics from the left, or why they seem so determined to give their guys a free pass while those of us on the right, including our President, are willing to look truth in the eye and condemn all responsible parties, regardless of which side of the political divide they happen to be on.

Seriously, man, are you trying to prove the suspicion that liberalism is a mental disorder?
                If you have not noticed my concern is shared by quite many republicans and generally by all sorts of decent persons all over the world. You can try to turn it in to some kind of game. But that wont help. The fool president does not understand how serious racist murders are. You talk about a free pass. That has partly been given to the racists by Trump. Make America great again...
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Because Charles like Jimmy and Tassy and the liberals in general have a double standard. When a rightwing group does something wrong, they make a huge deal out of it. When a leftwing group does something wrong, why it was only that individual who did bad and not the whole group, or it was justified, or just completely ignore the incident.

At least we are consistent and laying blame on both sides because both the alt-right and the alt-left were both at fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Because Charles like Jimmy and Tassy and the liberals in general have a double standard. When a rightwing group does something wrong, they make a huge deal out of it. When a leftwing group does something wrong, why it was only that individual who did bad and not the whole group, or it was justified, or just completely ignore the incident.

At least we are consistent and laying blame on both sides because both the alt-right and the alt-left were both at fault.
                    I think the Guardian sums it up quite well:

He said that there were good people on both sides, thus implicitly lending at least partial presidential approval to a far-right rally in which swastikas were displayed, Nazi salutes made and antisemitic chants shouted.
                    There is a right side and a wrong side. Racism, antisemitism, white supremacism and Nazism, new or old, are wrong. A leader who cannot bring himself to say this clearly and unequivocally is not just clueless. He also forfeits his claim to moral authority and much of his right to be respected as leader. Yet that is where Mr Trump has put himself.
                    There are some signs that moderate and independent Republicans grasp this. The two former Presidents Bush issued a strong statement against racial bigotry, antisemitism and hatred on Wednesday. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell did the same, stating “there are no good neo-Nazis”.
                    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...the-moral-pale

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      He said that there were good people on both sides, thus implicitly lending at least partial presidential approval to a far-right rally in which swastikas were displayed, Nazi salutes made and antisemitic chants shouted.
                      There were conservatives there who were not alt-right or nazis. And there were liberals there who were not antifa or BLM thungs. That is who he was referring to.

Comment

There were conservatives there who were not alt-right or nazis. And there were liberals there who were not antifa or BLM thungs. That is who he was referring to.

There were conservatives in "a far-right rally in which swastikas were displayed, Nazi salutes made and antisemitic chants shouted."?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          There were conservatives in "a far-right rally in which swastikas were displayed, Nazi salutes made and antisemitic chants shouted."?
                          Yes. It was a protest to stop the statue from being removed. People who wanted to protect the statue were there who were not part of the white supremacists and nazis and were not there to fight. There were lots of groups there. And on the other side there were the antifa, the BLM, and just normal liberals who wanted the statue removed but were not there to fight.

Comment

You forget that Trump can do no right. Even if Trump caved and said and did exactly what the Left wanted said and done, he'd be castigated for waiting so long to do it.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              You forget that Trump can do no right. Even WHEN Trump caved and said and did exactly what the Left wanted said and done, he WAS castigated for waiting so long to do it.
                              FIFY

Already happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                If you have not noticed my concern is shared by quite many republicans and generally by all sorts of decent persons all over the world. You can try to turn it in to some kind of game. But that wont help. The fool president does not understand how serious racist murders are. You talk about a free pass. That has partly been given to the racists by Trump. Make America great again...
                                Appeal to popularity, huh? You sure do love your logical fallacies, Chuck.

But you didn't actually answer the question (dodging is another one of your favorite ploys): If both sides were to blame for the violence, which is clearly the case based on numerous eye-witness statements, then what's wrong with blaming both sides?

Comment