Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Solar Eclipse Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    We had beautiful weather here. Borrowed a neighbor's glasses and got a glimpse when there was just a sliver.
    We ended up with a perfectly clear day ... right up until totality. Then a cloud deck moved in, but it was transparent enough to see totality. Below are snapshots I took at the eyepiece of my scope as the eclipse progressed, and then a quick snapshot (blurry -sorry) of the moon's disk and the sun's corona. There was a line of sunspots that had been gradually covered over by the time of the first pic, but you can see the fairly active suspot set on the limb. This was an interesting group in that not only could you see the dark penumbra and umbra, you would see active 'hot regions' that look like filaments around it. These might have enough detail to make that out if you magnify the sunspot region. In the enlarged version, you can also see the irregular surface of the moon and it's mountains.

Jim

20170821_140643.jpg

20170821_141331.jpg

20170821_143643.jpg
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      We ended up with a perfectly clear day ... right up until totality. Then a cloud deck moved in, but it was transparent enough to see totality. Below are snapshots I took at the eyepiece of my scope as the eclipse progressed, and then a quick snapshot (blurry -sorry) of the moon's disk and the sun's corona. There was a line of sunspots that had been gradually covered over by the time of the first pic, but you can see the fairly active suspot set on the limb. This was an interesting group in that not only could you see the dark penumbra and umbra, you would see active 'hot regions' that look like filaments around it. These might have enough detail to make that out if you magnify the sunspot region.

Jim

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23802[/ATTACH]
      He's REAL!!!!

Pacman-cutscene.png

Comment

I got to get into the area of totality. An amazing experience.

The small white dot in the upper left of the first photo is Regulus. It and other starts and some planets were easily seen with the naked eye.

The photos are unedited except for size.

Eclipse1.jpg

Eclipse2.jpg
        Last edited by TheGreenMan; 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenMan View Post

The small white dot in the upper left of the first photo is Regulus. It and other starts and some planets were easily seen with the naked eye.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23871[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23872[/ATTACH]
          Nice seeing ya

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenMan View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23871[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23872[/ATTACH]
            Excellant. What equipment were you using.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Excellant. What equipment were you using.

Jim
              Just a Coolpix L120 and a tripod. I had a mylar solar filter for the partial eclipse phases.

Comment