Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Divine Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I guess the last part of my text is what causes the confusion. The part where it says: "It is a little harder to understand how authorities can do so "For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.""

What I meant to say was that these words do not seem to even allow for the possibility that authorities could even be wrong. And since that seems to be the case, it is hard to see how one can establish exceptions without contradicting that part.
    I understand that part of your assertion just fine. You don't think it's nonsensical to take a summary statement in isolation as dogmatically absolute, regardless of what the same person says elsewhere? Paul was writing a letter, not a novel. What I find confusing is what Luther has to do with this.
    My main points can be found here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post465622

Or read some of the first posts I made. And by pointing to them I am not assuming you are stupid. Neither am I generally assuming you are stupid.
    What you wrote previously I've already read, and find confusing. By saying "assume I'm stupid," I'm asking you to spell things out more clearly so I can more easily understand what you're trying to convey.

I'm Orthodox, so the views of a man in rebellion from a schismatic group aren't terribly important to me, but they seem to be very important to you.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Chuckles doesn't want answers. He just wants to keep asking questions. It's a common debate tactic of intellectually dishonest skeptics.
      Yes, that's become quite clear to me in our discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        he just keeps ignoring the answers. He is bound and determined to misinterpret the passage and nothing like reason is going to get in his way.
        Finding answers unsatisfying is not the same as ignoring them. Like I said those parts are confusing at best and none of you have come up with anything substantial in order to prove or demonstrate that it cannot be interpreted differently. All your personal attacks do not get you anywhere in changing my mind. But it might make you feel more confident.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Finding answers unsatisfying is not the same as ignoring them. Like I said those parts are confusing at best and none of you have come up with anything substantial in order to prove or demonstrate that it cannot be interpreted differently. All your personal attacks do not get you anywhere in changing my mind. But it might make you feel more confident.
          You know, at this point, I don't really care what you think.

Comment

You would do well to take Starlight's summary of the issues involved into consideration
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              You would do well to take Starlight's summary of the issues involved into consideration
              Thank you. I really enjoy Starlight's post and I had not read this one. And thanks for your own posts in here is well.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment