Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How Do You Fill the Gaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Fill the Gaps?

No church (local body) is perfect.

How do you cope with a church not being their for all your spiritual needs. For example in my current church, the Men's Bible Study is actually the retired men's fellowship group. (Which is actually the same as the previous church I attended.) So I have no men's Bible study right now in my life.

I'm sure many on TWeb have run into this. I'm just interested in hearing your stories. Thanks.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

No church body will ever be perfect; it's made up of imperfect humans.

Retired men typically have much more time to meet. They also typically have the most life experience in Christ, so I'm not sure what your issue is.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      No church (local body) is perfect.

How do you cope with a church not being their for all your spiritual needs. For example in my current church, the Men's Bible Study is actually the retired men's fellowship group. (Which is actually the same as the previous church I attended.) So I have no men's Bible study right now in my life.

I'm sure many on TWeb have run into this. I'm just interested in hearing your stories. Thanks.
      How do you see the purpose of the local church as fulfilling all of your spiritual needs? For me the local church is a place to worship, learn and fellowship. I attend a Bible study that is not put on by my local church body. I can read the Bible and seek probably many other sources of fulfillment. You are asking too much from your local church. Have you considered starting another Bible study group that would be better suited to your needs and the needs of other in a similar state?
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

To paraphrase JFK - ask not what your Church can do for you - ask what you can do for your Church. Why not start a bible study or fellowship group?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          To paraphrase JFK - ask not what your Church can do for you - ask what you can do for your Church. Why not start a bible study or fellowship group?
          I have been trying to discern if God wants me to work with this church or do something more independent. I have finally decided that He does want me to work within this church. Now my questions are what to do and how.

On the Revelation church scale, I would rate this church a Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6).
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            No church body will ever be perfect; it's made up of imperfect humans.

Retired men typically have much more time to meet. They also typically have the most life experience in Christ, so I'm not sure what your issue is.
            I'll try to be clearer.

I'm over 50 and was still younger than next aged member by 10 to 15 years. I would like to be a men's group that was a little more age diverse.

They pretty much don't want to talk about their life experience in Christ.

You hit on it when you talked about time. This is a group of men that don't have a lot of activity in their life. So this group functions to give them something to put on the calendar and have a regular, comfortable event to go to. Which is why I don't want to force the group to change. However as a church ministry to integrate new people in, it won't do and certainly its false advertising to call it a Bible study.

Comment

I have been trying to discern if God wants me to work with this church or do something more independent. I have finally decided that He does want me to work within this church. Now my questions are what to do and how.

On the Revelation church scale, I would rate this church a Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6).
              I wish you well. My Church is actually coming alive, and the people are WANTING to get involved in the community. We need guys like you.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll try to be clearer.

I'm over 50 and was still younger than next aged member by 10 to 15 years. I would like to be a men's group that was a little more age diverse.

They pretty much don't want to talk about their life experience in Christ.

You hit on it when you talked about time. This is a group of men that don't have a lot of activity in their life. So this group functions to give them something to put on the calendar and have a regular, comfortable event to go to. Which is why I don't want to force the group to change. However as a church ministry to integrate new people in, it won't do and certainly its false advertising to call it a Bible study.
                Is there a possible way to gauge interest in starting a study of younger guys who want to do more Bible studying than filling time? If there is, are you willing to step up and lead it?

Maybe I'm just lucky; I was only ever uhappy with the spiritual offerings of the church I regularly attended once, and that was my dad's church when I was going to college (I just couldn't stomach the sermons any more - and it turns out that the then-pastor had become a pastor in order to marry his wife, not because he felt called).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is there a possible way to gauge interest in starting a study of younger guys who want to do more Bible studying than filling time? If there is, are you willing to step up and lead it?
                  We haven't done it in my current Church yet, but we have, in the past, run a "Paul and Timothy" Bible Study. Where every man was encouraged to be a Paul to a Timothy, and to be a Timothy to a Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I wish you well. My Church is actually coming alive, and the people are WANTING to get involved in the community. We need guys like you.
                    Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky; I was only ever uhappy with the spiritual offerings of the church I regularly attended once, and that was my dad's church when I was going to college (I just couldn't stomach the sermons any more - and it turns out that the then-pastor had become a pastor in order to marry his wife, not because he felt called).
                      Thanks for the suggestion. I'm think the best next move would be to met with the pastor and see what his plan is. I'm at a denominational church and its becoming apparent he was brought in to make changes. It would be best to move in conformity with him.

My wife and I are having breakfast with an elder and his wife on Sunday after church. Maybe something will come out from that.

And in all things, .

Comment

My wife and I are having breakfast ... after church.
                        I knew there was something I liked about you!

Comment

Meeting with the pastor on Saturday. Not sure how to approach the meeting.

Comment

Meeting with the pastor on Saturday. Not sure how to approach the meeting.
                            Met with the pastor earlier today. Somebody(s) must have prayed because I think the meeting went really well. Much gratitude to you.

Short summary: I was not the first person to express what I was feeling and thinking to him. The pastor definitely thinks this is an area that the church should be involved in. The next step is going to be put me together with another man who had similar ideas and was thinking about starting a group. Lord willing we'll be able to work out a vision and plan and be able to team lead it.

Comment

Met with the pastor earlier today. Somebody(s) must have prayed because I think the meeting went really well. Much gratitude to you.

Short summary: I was not the first person to express what I was feeling and thinking to him. The pastor definitely thinks this is an area that the church should be involved in. The next step is going to be put me together with another man who had similar ideas and was thinking about starting a group. Lord willing we'll be able to work out a vision and plan and be able to team lead it.
                              TM!
                              3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment