Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Even Atheists Think That Atheists Are More Immoral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, no. You're mistaking the entry of sin for impartation of sin.
    Seems you're making a semantic argument Tea. Whats your point?

(Also, being deceived isn't the same thing as a choice to rebel). Sin entered the world because of what Adam and Eve did - that let the dog in. Choosing to pet it - that's our own choice.
    According to the fiction, they had a choice to make Tea, and it was they that made it. And sin is not a thing in itself that can enter the world, or humanity, as if it existed itself apart from them.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Jim, it almost really doesn't matter how you got the disease, it is still your responsibility to take the cure.
      Well seer, the point is that sin is not a disease in the first place, so we didn't get it, so to speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        What? Where do you see him suggesting that someone should act according to a religion they don't belong to?
        "Jim, it almost really doesn't matter how you got the disease, it is still your responsibility to take the cure. "
        If I were discussing the beliefs of someone who believed in a "giant mutant star-goat", and they then replied to me that it was my responsibility not to be eaten by him, I would find that perfectly relevant to the discussion. He's obviously basing that opinion from his worldview, the worldview I'm discussing with him.
        The worldview he knows you reject, and therefore do not need to follow the precepts of.

Even if JimL was discussing the Xtian worldview, seer's phrasing was inappropriate to a non-believer.

Alternatively, now that you've also referenced the giant mutant star-god, it's your responsibility to stop your family and friends being eaten by it.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          According to the fiction, they had a choice to make Tea, and it was they that made it.
          Theism in both senses. Cool.
          Last edited by Roy; 08-15-2017, 10:40 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Theism in both senses. Cool.

Comment

"Jim, it almost really doesn't matter how you got the disease, it is still your responsibility to take the cure.

"The worldview he knows you reject, and therefore do not need to follow the precepts of.

Even if JimL was discussing the Xtian worldview, seer's phrasing was inappropriate to a non-believer.

Alternatively, now that you've also referenced the giant mutant star-god, it's your responsibility to stop your family and friends being eaten by it.
              seer wrote what he did to JimL because JimL was asking questions from the Christian worldview. When JimL wrote, "So, because Adam and Eve freely chose to rebel and to disobey their god, the whole of the human race was, due to that choice, doomed to inherit the effect of their choice? In other words, it is not our fault that we are natural born sinners, it's all the fault of Adam and Eve"; He wasn't writing that from the naturalist perspective that he holds. From his naturalist perspective Adam and Eve never even existed. He was assuming the Christian perspective for the sake of argument, so seer replied to him in kind. I think everyone got that except you.

Here is how the conversation progressed,
              • I replied to a Christian who shared my perspective about sin. I was clearly writing from the Christian perspective.
              • JimL replied to me assuming my perspective for the sake of argument. I wasn't confused when JimL, a naturalist who doesn't even believe in Adam and Eve, asked a question about them, because I knew that he was doing that to make a point.
              • seer replied to JimL still assuming the Christian perspective. It was totally in line with JimL's initial question to me.
              • You came along and started talking about things from your perspective. If anyone was being non sequitur at that point, it was you.
              • Picking up where you newly started, seer replied to you from your naturalist perspective.

Comment

• I replied to a Christian who shared my perspective about sin. I was clearly writing from the Christian perspective.
                • JimL replied to me assuming my perspective for the sake of argument. I wasn't confused when JimL, a naturalist who doesn't even believe in Adam and Eve, asked a question about them, because I knew that he was doing that to make a point.
                • seer replied to JimL still assuming the Christian perspective. It was totally in line with JimL's initial question to me.
                • You came along and started talking about things from your perspective.
                No, that's where you go wrong. I was using Jim's perspective, not mine, though they mostly coincide.. Nor was Jim necessarily asking questions from the Xtian worldview, since he was rejecting that worldview as being "one of the stupidist thing I've ever heard".

Comment

No, that's where you go wrong. I was using Jim's perspective, not mine, though they mostly coincide.. Nor was Jim necessarily asking questions from the Xtian worldview, since he was rejecting that worldview as being "one of the stupidist thing I've ever heard".
                  But JimL was using a Christian perspective. He was being snarky of course, and he later in the same post rejected that view, but to make his point he hypothetically assumed Adam and Eve existed to make the point that he made. Again, I don't think anyone else was confused by this but you. Maybe we can create a poll and see what other people think though. I found the conversation perfectly sequitur.

Comment

I found the conversation perfectly sequitur.
                    I just watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (which I enjoyed way more than I probably should have), and if you replace the word "perfectly" with the word "most" it sounds like something Bill would say.

"Most sequitur, dudes."
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      You are right, rape, murder, greed, selfishness, etc, etc... Are perfectly natural, how the laws of nature created us.
                      Of course they are perfectly natural actions, how else would you describe them, supernatural?

Comment

• THE RIGHT WING
                        Atheists Are 0.07% of the Federal Prison Population, Threatening Fact for Christian Fundamentalists
                        It's a big disruption to the Christian right argument that you need a belief in God to live morally.
                        By Dan Arel / AlterNet March 31, 2014, 12:14 PM GMT
                        Touche. CHECKMATE

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris the Atheist View Post
                          THE RIGHT WING
                          Atheists Are 0.07% of the Federal Prison Population, Threatening Fact for Christian Fundamentalists
                          It's a big disruption to the Christian right argument that you need a belief in God to live morally.
                          By Dan Arel / AlterNet March 31, 2014, 12:14 PM GMT
                          Touche. CHECKMATE
                          Anyone making such a silly statement should be laughed at because being religious in prison gives you benefits you wouldn't have if you were not. Would you rather sit in your cell or get out for a few extra hours a few times a week?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• There are other studies with the same results. Typical of a believer you deny facts and believe fantasies. That's you you believers lose every debate with atheists. 2000 years and we remain undefeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris the Atheist View Post
                              There are other studies with the same results. Typical of a believer you deny facts and believe fantasies. That's you you believers lose every debate with atheists. 2000 years and we remain undefeated.
                              You're going to be a hoot, aren't you.

Comment

seer wrote what he did to JimL because JimL was asking questions from the Christian worldview. When JimL wrote, "So, because Adam and Eve freely chose to rebel and to disobey their god, the whole of the human race was, due to that choice, doomed to inherit the effect of their choice? In other words, it is not our fault that we are natural born sinners, it's all the fault of Adam and Eve"; He wasn't writing that from the naturalist perspective that he holds. From his naturalist perspective Adam and Eve never even existed. He was assuming the Christian perspective for the sake of argument, so seer replied to him in kind. I think everyone got that except you.

• You came along and started talking about things from your perspective. If anyone was being non sequitur at that point, it was you.
                                • Picking up where you newly started, seer replied to you from your naturalist perspective.
                                seer knew that the christian view was not my view, and that I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness, in my opinion, of the christian view regarding sin. As my reply to seer's point, 'about sin being a disease and Jesus being the cure made clear,' his teaching was pointless to me, a none believer.

Comment