Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Even Atheists Think That Atheists Are More Immoral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I see, so it's not the atheist who has to improve, it's the attitudes of other people.
    Even atheists.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      You speak as if nature is thinking and in control... kind of like a god...

... Any self-motivation or self-direction is an arbitrary distraction to the pointless nature of existence. There simply is no reason for any of it. As a result, any and all responses are equally valid, and equally pointless. ...

And when we are dead, it won't matter in the least bit if you succeeded or failed.
      A child thinks he can fly like Superman and jumps from a tall building to his death. This sort of thing has happened before. Nature does nothing to forbid these thoughts but acts against them, even though unintelligently and uncaringly. Nature does not know we are here; it is not interested in our survival or anything else. But the fact that it is based on natural laws and we have brains that watch the results of natural processes give us many advantages. The Christian God is nature personified. This idea is just as fatal to Christians as the idea that little boys can fly.

All life is about regeneration. The individual is limited, the family and the nation less so and the species is long lived and so on. Everything, in the end, is finite but that does not matter to us at our individual scale. We are driven to care for our children. Spooky ideas interfere with this natural desire because it gives you the false idea that the self is cosmically significant (the hairs on your head are numbered by God Himself). No, you are a link, but there are many, many chains.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        My theory is that you atheists know how dark your inclinations are so you don't trust other atheists since they have similar tendencies.
        What a lovely theory, seer. How kind and open minded of you. The thing that strikes me, not being an atheist myself, is that I know quite many atheists and none seem to go for the idea that atheism forces them to some kind of nihilism. It seems only religious people buy into this idea. I only know of religious people who are able to find human beings in and of themselves so worthless that we must have a good to give them worth in order for them to have it.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I've been an atheist. I don't see why you're gleeful about people mistrusting atheists, seer. I've seen Christians steal money out of the collection plate. I've seen a Christian altar server showing up, reeking of alcohol. It wasn't Christians that made me Christian. I've seen Christians being sneering and hurtful to each other. Baptists and Catholics at each others throats, lying and perpetuating misinformation about each other. Slander, gossip and other things.

I came to Christ despite them, not because of them. I have no magic trust of Christians. Quite the opposite!

I count zero Christians in my life I'd trust my life with, or my biggest secrets. I have three people like that in my life, none of them believe in God. None of them care that I'm a Catholic (one is fascinated), another isn't but we remain friends despite disagreements. Talk about them as well at times.

When you meet an atheist, consider that it's Christ himself you're meeting, and help him as well as you would Him.
          Last edited by Leonhard; 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I've been an atheist. I don't see why you're gleeful about people mistrusting atheists, seer. I've seen Christians steal money out of the collection plate. I've seen a Christian altar server showing up, reeking of alcohol. It wasn't Christians that made me Christian. I've seen Christians being sneering and hurtful to each other. Baptists and Catholics at each others throats, lying and perpetuating misinformation about each other. Slander, gossip and other things.

I came to Christ despite them, not because of them. I have no magic trust of Christians. Quite the opposite!

I count zero Christians in my life I'd trust my life with, or my biggest secrets. I have three people like that in my life, none of them believe in God. None of them care that I'm a Catholic (one is fascinated), another isn't but we remain friends despite disagreements. Talk about them as well at times.

When you meet an atheist, consider that it's Christ himself you're meeting, and help him as well as you would Him.
            A very honest and very interesting post which actually does give the impression of someone actually having a larger mindset and who does not go for the easy tricks. Thanks.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              What a lovely theory, seer. How kind and open minded of you.
              Thank you I try...

The thing that strikes me, not being an atheist myself, is that I know quite many atheists and none seem to go for the idea that atheism forces them to some kind of nihilism.
              Personally I believe the logical conclusion of atheism is nihilism. So you are not an atheist - then what are you - a theist?

It seems only religious people buy into this idea. I only know of religious people who are able to find human beings in and of themselves so worthless that we must have a good to give them worth in order for them to have it.
              Because humans are the result of an accidental biological process in an ultimately meaningless universe we are worthless - go figure.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Leonhard, I see every man as a unique image bearer of God. And by now you must know that many of my posts are tongue and cheek - a little harmless poke..
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Leonhard, I see every man as a unique image bearer of God.
                  Then you should treat them as if they are that.

And by now you must know that many of my posts are tongue and cheek - a little harmless poke..
                  Seer, you're not funny. And every day that goes by I see you turning more and more into an old crank, and I wish you wouldn't.

Comment

Then you should treat them as if they are that.
                    I do, just because I don't do it like you doesn't mean I don't. And most of the atheists here are in fact enemies of Christ and his Gospel. And Christ, Paul, Peter, John the Baptist, etc... had some very harsh words and descriptions for such men.
                    Last edited by seer; 08-08-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Because humans are the result of an accidental biological process in an ultimately meaningless universe we are worthless - go figure.
                      If only it was that easy. Pretty soon you will find that it is completely impossible to actually keep and maintain this aproach to life. Let's say you find out your child was not created by God but "the result of an accidental biological process". Would you love him any less? - go figure...

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        If only it was that easy. Pretty soon you will find that it is completely impossible to actually keep and maintain this aproach to life. Let's say you find out your child was not created by God but "the result of an accidental biological process". Would you love him any less? - go figure...
                        No Charles, most of my adult life, even when I had kids, I was an agnostic. And of course I assigned worth to them because of my subjective love for them. But logically we are biological accidents in a meaningless universe if atheism is correct.

Comment

And most of the atheists here are in fact enemies of Christ and his Gospel.
                          Have you tried sprinkling some holy water on your keyboard?
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Have you tried sprinkling some holy water on your keyboard?
                            I need to sprinkle it on you, but I'm afraid of what would happen!

Comment

No Charles, most of my adult life, even when I had kids, I was an agnostic. And of course I assigned worth to them because of my subjective love for them. But logically we are biological accidents in a meaningless universe if atheism is correct.
                              And how much did that "logic" influence your actual behaviour? And if the universe is "meaningless" why would you let it influence the love you have for your kids or anyone else? Do you need an objective love for your kids. Do they need objective value for you to love them?

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                                Are there are lot of Native American holiday meals and no Pentecostal ones?
                                1. Meals aren't the only perks
                                2. It only reduces atheist/agnostic numbers because most of them can faith hop with a clean conscience
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment