Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Google fires employee who questioned diversity/inclusion policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google fires employee who questioned diversity/inclusion policies

In an ironic and self-fulfilling prophesy, Google just fired an employee who wrote a memo questioning the company's diversion and inclusion policies - showing how the company only includes liberal views and excludes conservative views, and how it has programs that includes specific minorities while excluding others.

Of course, Google couldn't stand that, so it had to prove him right by promptly firing him in the name of protecting diversity and inclusion.

Here is the memo: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-Chamber.html

And here is the letter from Google's CEO saying he had to fire the guy because he was "advancing harmful gender stereotypes" (He said men and women were different )

https://www.blog.google/topics/diver...sundar-pichai/

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    In an ironic and self-fulfilling prophesy, Google just fired an employee who wrote a memo questioning the company's diversion and inclusion policies - showing how the company only includes liberal views and excludes conservative views, and how it has programs that includes specific minorities while excluding others.

Of course, Google couldn't stand that, so it had to prove him right by promptly firing him in the name of protecting diversity and inclusion.

Here is the memo: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-Chamber.html

And here is the letter from Google's CEO saying he had to fire the guy because he was "advancing harmful gender stereotypes" (He said men and women were different )

https://www.blog.google/topics/diver...sundar-pichai/
    The issue that he claimed 'women and men' are different is incomplete, and a 'hand wave' canard, and not the issue. The issue is that he proposed women were less qualified for tech positions because they were different.

This view specifically promotes sex based hiring practices, and yes, it is justified he got the boot. It is actually a view that is illegal under Federal Law.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The issue that he claimed 'women and men' are different is incomplete, and a 'hand wave' canard, and not the issue. The issue is that he proposed women were less qualified for tech positions because they were different.

This view specifically promotes sex based hiring practices, and yes, it is justified he got the boot. It is actually a view that is illegal under Federal Law.
      Here is what he actually said:

Nothing about women being "less" qualified. And why couldn't the difference between men and women make men more qualified, generally, for technical work? He also said that there are other areas where women excel over men.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Actually he didn't. I included the letter he wrote, so feel free to quote it and prove me wrong. Or did you bother to actually read it?

here is the link again, for your convenience: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-Chamber.html

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Here is what he actually said:

Nothing about women being "less" qualified. And why couldn't the difference between men and women make men more qualified, generally, for technical work? He also said that there are other areas where women excel over men.
          He even proposed ways to include those differences into the jobs to attract more women into tech jobs.

Non-discriminatory ways to reduce the gender gap
          Below I'll go over some of the differences in distribution of traits between men and women that I
          outlined in the previous section and suggest ways to address them to increase women's
          representation in tech without resorting to discrimination.

Comment

He even proposed ways to include those differences into the jobs to attract more women into tech jobs.
            Right, but why couldn't there be biological differences that generally make men better at some jobs and women better at other jobs. I don't see why that is controversial.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Actually he didn't. I included the letter he wrote, so feel free to quote it and prove me wrong. Or did you bother to actually read it?
              Shunya "knee jerk" dragon strikes again...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Right, but why couldn't there be biological differences that generally make men better at some jobs and women better at other jobs. I don't see why that is controversial.
                Because it goes against the left's narrative that everyone is exactly equal in everything.

To say different is to be different and therefore you get excluded from the inclusivity.

Comment

I fully support Google in firing this person. As for his reasons for his disdains of women's ability to code they're paper thin, not supported by any good evidence and at any (ironically despite his protest) just rationalizations of the stereotypes he has of women.

The female coders I've met in my life were every bit as capable as the guys, there is no good evidence that women are inherently bad at programming computers, or that having testicles or a penis, somehow, makes one better at understanding JavaScript. His attempt to appeal to Evolutionary Psychology is even more laughable as that field is very full of pseudoscience and woo, and is often used just to defend why social phenomenons are that way... as an essential feature of humanity, rather than perhaps just a cultural phenomenon.

Out with his rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I fully support Google in firing this person. As for his reasons for his disdains of women's ability to code they're paper thin, not supported by any good evidence and at any (ironically despite his protest) just rationalizations of the stereotypes he has of women.

The female coders I've met in my life were every bit as capable as the guys, there is no good evidence that women are inherently bad at programming computers, or that having testicles or a penis, somehow, makes one better at understanding JavaScript. His attempt to appeal to Evolutionary Psychology is even more laughable as that field is very full of pseudoscience and woo, and is often used just to defend why social phenomenons are that way... as an essential feature of humanity, rather than perhaps just a cultural phenomenon.

Out with his rear.
                    Please cite evidence of what you are referring to.

Comment

Please cite evidence of what you are referring to.
                      None of the evidence he presented was good. He says that testosterone has beneficial effects on coding, but doesn't cite any study that shows that testosterone makes you a good coder. He appeals to history and culture, but uses that as a spring board to discuss inherent biological traits, regardless of the the fact that computer programming, even engineering, as a field is only a few generations old, and cultures change slowly. Its up to him to present a convincing case. He didn't. Its not for me to present that he's wrong.

As for Evolutionary Psychology as a field, there's plenty of articles out there for anyone to read about the problems with that field. The basic problem is that behavior doesn't fossilize, and a lot of speculation within that field wound up as being more 'just so' stories, without actually having concrete evidence. Its not a problem the field has been able to overcome in general.

His big concern is apparently that Google is trying to overcome gender bias and its causing them to hire bad developers (which would be women in this case). His protest about being against stereotypes sound about as convincing to me as hearing an alt-right white supremacist starting out by saying "I'm not a racist, but..."
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 08-08-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

So Leonhard, do you believe that there are biological differences between men and women - differences that may make some jobs more natural for men or for women?

Comment

They fired him for "perpetuating gender stereotypes"...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

None of the evidence he presented was good. He says that testosterone has beneficial effects on coding, but doesn't cite any study that shows that testosterone makes you a good coder. He appeals to history and culture, but uses that as a spring board to discuss inherent biological traits, regardless of the the fact that computer programming, even engineering, as a field is only a few generations old, and cultures change slowly. Its up to him to present a convincing case. He didn't. Its not for me to present that he's wrong.

As for Evolutionary Psychology as a field, there's plenty of articles out there for anyone to read about the problems with that field. The basic problem is that behavior doesn't fossilize, and a lot of speculation within that field wound up as being more 'just so' stories, without actually having concrete evidence. Its not a problem the field has been able to overcome in general.

His big concern is apparently that Google is trying to overcome gender bias and its causing them to hire bad developers (which would be women in this case). His protest about being against stereotypes sound about as convincing to me as hearing an alt-right white supremacist starting out by saying "I'm not a racist, but..."
                            Again, please cite what you are referring to, and in context. I have given you the memo's link in the OP.

Comment

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/0...al-blacklists/

=====

So much for "Inclusion"

Comment