Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Google fires employee who questioned diversity/inclusion policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
    I currently work in a company with distinct pay grades so the issue of a 'gender pay gap' largely doesn't arise.

Saying that, I do find it odd that most times (at least most that I am aware of) when pay grades are released there is a clear difference in what the men & women are paid. And I'm not speaking about a pay gap due to long term leave due to having kids.

If two people do the same desk job with similar experience, I'm not sure why such a gap exists. The only thing I can think of is that a company will pay as little as they can get away with & men 'tend' to be more pushy about raises.
    I think that is the case too. I think in general (not always) women seem to be less aggressive when it comes to asking for more money. I have a friend who has been working at a lousy job for years and I can't get her to even look for a better job much less ask for a raise. If I had her job I would demand more money or walk. She does a lot of the office management but doesn't get paid for it.

I notice the same thing when it comes to things like car buying. Women are more likely to accept what the salesperson tells them the price will be, where a man will really get into the negotiating and haggling. Again, not always. I know some guys who meekly pay whatever the sticker says, and some girls who would haggle a guy to death. And in some things women will indeed argue about pricing, like shopping for clothes, where a man probably just pays whatever the sticker says.

Comment

http://babylonbee.com/news/new-googl...sers-thoughts/

Comment

A few years ago a bunch of academic looking articles and videos came out saying that the gender wage gap was a myth. Has that opinion been reversed recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          A few years ago a bunch of academic looking articles and videos came out saying that the gender wage gap was a myth. Has that opinion been reversed recently?
          If you can be any gender you want just by self-identifying, then how can there be a gender wage gap? Women should just self-identify as men and then they will make as much as men do.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            I currently work in a company with distinct pay grades so the issue of a 'gender pay gap' largely doesn't arise.

Saying that, I do find it odd that most times (at least most that I am aware of) when pay grades are released there is a clear difference in what the men & women are paid. And I'm not speaking about a pay gap due to long term leave due to having kids.

If two people do the same desk job with similar experience, I'm not sure why such a gap exists. The only thing I can think of is that a company will pay as little as they can get away with & men 'tend' to be more pushy about raises.
            * emphasis mine

Careful, that is one of the comments that got that guy fired from Google...

It's also true - we girls aren't as 'pushy' for a variety of reasons.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Here is an interesting article where experts in the field, scientists, discuss the memo:

https://www.aei.org/publication/some...l-google-memo/

One observation struck me as particularly poignant.

Comment