Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    A few of the many subjects of popular personality cults:
    Elvis
    Kim Jong-un
    Jesus of Nazareth
    Donald “I alone can fix it.” Trump
    A list of people with the personality of a wet mop:

Firstfloor
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      They're effectively holding the South Korean people hostage too. Seoul, the capital of South Korea with a ten million population is fairly close to the border and we'll within range of a lot of conventional artillery that NK has got stationed along the border. Even without NK using nukes there's almost no scenario in which they don't level Seoul in response to any US attack on them. That's why the US alliance with SK requires the US get SK to sign off on any US attack against NK, and SK seems unlikely to sign their own people's death warrant. This is why all US military options are implausible and the best course of action is to take no military action.

Long term the best course of action seems to be to deescalate with NK, and to have as friendly relations with them as possible and funneling some wealth into the country with a view to slowly having them transition from dictatorship to oligarchy.
      Once again, you show absolutely no capability of understanding military actions. This is simply the stupidest thing we could do. I personally know and speak with US military officers in SK, and they are fully prepared to defend SK against any aggression from the North.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Once again, you show absolutely no capability of understanding military actions. This is simply the stupidest thing we could do. I personally know and speak with US military officers in SK, and they are fully prepared to defend SK against any aggression from the North.

The longer we wait, the stronger and more aggressive NK gets. I don't think it is a matter of "if" any more, but "when" they decide to use their missiles. Do we wait till they nuke a US city or south Korea? We don't want to start a war with NK because of China, and endangering SK. But if we wait, it just makes it harder to do something when NK eventually goes nutso.

Rock and a hard place.

I still think the best course of action is to get China to reign them in, or invade them. They have as much to lose as anyone else. It might make NK part of communist China and end any chance of reunification, but I would rather have China sitting above SK than Kim Jong Un.

Comment