Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Allah's spirit and Allah's 99 names

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    330
    Amen (Given)
    45
    Amen (Received)
    76

    Allah's spirit and Allah's 99 names

    Copied from an Islamic site:

    It creates our "spirits." Allah Almighty uses it to blow into our mothers' wombs our human-spirits. That is why abortion is prohibited in Islam, because the fetus or foetus does have spirit (life) and it is a human being. It's not just a little piece of unliving flesh:

    "But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His Spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give! (The Noble Quran, 32:9)"

    "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 38:72)"

    "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 15:29)"

    "And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our Spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples. (The Noble Quran, 21:91)"

    "And Mary the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our Spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants). (The Noble Quran, 66:12)"

    The 99 names:

    99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation

    Clip:

    The Beneficent
    The All-Prevailing One, etc.

    tawheed: The oneness of Allah.

    Question: Since Allah is one can all 99 names be said of Allah's spirit too?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Copied from an Islamic site:

    It creates our "spirits." Allah Almighty uses it to blow into our mothers' wombs our human-spirits. That is why abortion is prohibited in Islam, because the fetus or foetus does have spirit (life) and it is a human being. It's not just a little piece of unliving flesh:

    "But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His Spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give! (The Noble Quran, 32:9)"

    "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 38:72)"

    "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 15:29)"

    "And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our Spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples. (The Noble Quran, 21:91)"

    "And Mary the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our Spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants). (The Noble Quran, 66:12)"

    The 99 names:

    99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation

    Clip:

    The Beneficent
    The All-Prevailing One, etc.

    tawheed: The oneness of Allah.

    Question: Since Allah is one can all 99 names be said of Allah's spirit too?

    Thank you.
    Spirit (ruh) is not God in Islam.

  3. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Spirit (Ruh)

    Islam (as religion/way of life) developed over time and so there are a variety of opinions and interpretations within one framework. This is especially true on the subject of Ruh because the Quran declined to elaborate on this matter---a verse in the Quran clearly states so....

    The term Ruh (Spirit) has different expressions in the Quran for example there is the expression Ruh-al-Qudus (Ruach Hakodesh---Judaism) which translates to Holy Spirit....some interpretations equate it, on occassion, to the Angel Gabriel......but the term itself in both Hebrew and Arabic also means "breath" (God's breath) and that is the understanding when it is "breathed' into "Adam" (human beings)
    An interesting point to consider is that this term does not have a grammatical plural---so for example, the word "soul" (nafs) has a plural anfus/nufoos. It makes for interesting speculation....

    The "spirit" is breathed into humans---but when this occurs differs according to different schools of thought---the general opinion (as I understand it) is 120 days (?) but some may say 40 days or others after birth....?...

    ....in any case...anything that is said on this subject by a Muslim will inevitably have degrees of speculation....

  4. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    330
    Amen (Given)
    45
    Amen (Received)
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by siam View Post
    Spirit (Ruh)

    Islam (as religion/way of life) developed over time and so there are a variety of opinions and interpretations within one framework. This is especially true on the subject of Ruh because the Quran declined to elaborate on this matter---a verse in the Quran clearly states so....

    The term Ruh (Spirit) has different expressions in the Quran for example there is the expression Ruh-al-Qudus (Ruach Hakodesh---Judaism) which translates to Holy Spirit....some interpretations equate it, on occassion, to the Angel Gabriel......but the term itself in both Hebrew and Arabic also means "breath" (God's breath) and that is the understanding when it is "breathed' into "Adam" (human beings)
    An interesting point to consider is that this term does not have a grammatical plural---so for example, the word "soul" (nafs) has a plural anfus/nufoos. It makes for interesting speculation....

    The "spirit" is breathed into humans---but when this occurs differs according to different schools of thought---the general opinion (as I understand it) is 120 days (?) but some may say 40 days or others after birth....?...

    ....in any case...anything that is said on this subject by a Muslim will inevitably have degrees of speculation....
    It seems to me that anything that proceeds from Allah has to be Allah or something of himself.

    Can Allah's spirit act as a messenger?

  5. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    It seems to me that anything that proceeds from Allah has to be Allah or something of himself.

    Can Allah's spirit act as a messenger?
    "From" God---Since Islam rejects incarnation (Hindu or Christian), a thing from God is not God---all creation is from God but is not God, the Angels and Humans are from God but not God, the Quran is from God but not God...etc....
    ...somewhat like....a child comes from the Parent but is not the Parent....

    The Quran gives a reason why it does not elaborate on the "Ruh" (Spirit)---it says that misunderstanding can lead to Shirk (Division, multiple Gods)--My speculation is that Ruh does not have plurality which makes it conceptually similar to God (which is One) and this overlap could lead to misunderstanding...?....maybe....?....

    Spirit as messenger---Possible..."The Holy Spirit (Hebrew: ‎רוּחַ הַקֹּדֶשׁ, Modern ruach hakodesh, Tiberian ruaħ haqqodɛʃ) in Judaism, also termed "Divine Inspiration," generally refers to the inspiration through which attuned individuals perceive and channel the Divine through action, writing or speech.
    In other contexts, Holy Spirit may refer to the divine force, quality, and influence of God over the universe or over His creatures
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Spirit_in_Judaism
    both these Jewish understanding would work in the Islamic paradigm as well....

    Word---Judaism understands that God created everything through speaking, the Hebrew word for ‘word’ and the word for ‘thing’ both come from the same root דבר/DBR, and so derives that God spoke and all things came into being. In Hebrew each word is not simply an arbitrary word but the word captures and describes the essence of what it is.
    https://jewishconcernsforum.com/2014...uach-hakodesh/

    In the East, speech (word) is understood in its essence as vibration and breath as life-force---and Divine word (primordial sound) as the essence (?) of creation and Divine breath as the "force" of life...thus the recitation of sacred scripture (vibration) itself is a healing/balancing.....Islam and Judaism have similar concepts......chanting is a special tool for worship in Eastern mysticism as well as in Sufism.
    In Sufism it is called Dhikr(remembrance). The 99 names (Asma al Husna) are useful as recitation as well as meditation.

    Sufism (Islamic mysticism) is understood as the science of spirituality (tassawuf)....."science"= it is replicated/repeatable and has a methodology (Tariqa)...the end purpose/goal is to seek Truth (God) and reach enlightenment. (Fana....?)

  6. #6
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    It seems as I am the only Muslim, this section lacks diversity... if it is Ok, I would like to add info related to Sufism.....(I am not a Sufi)

    The Sufi practice of meditation requires concentration---and so, there is a connection between Sufis and coffee.....
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22190802
    Although a beverage made from the wild coffee plant seems to have been first drunk by a legendary shepherd on the Ethiopian plateau, the earliest cultivation of coffee was in Yemen and Yemenis gave it the Arabic name qahwa, from which our words coffee and cafe both derive.
    Qahwa originally meant wine, and Sufi mystics in Yemen used coffee as an aid to concentration and even spiritual intoxication when they chanted the name of God.

    By 1414, it was known in Mecca and in the early 1500s was spreading to Egypt from the Yemeni port of Mocha. It was still associated with Sufis, and a cluster of coffee houses grew up in Cairo around the religious university of the Azhar. They also opened in Syria, especially in the cosmopolitan city of Aleppo, and then in Istanbul, the capital of the vast Ottoman Turkish Empire, in 1554.


    Some Muslims also use prayer beads....
    https://www.thenational.ae/arts-cult...ed-for-1.67166
    In Islam, a string of 99 beads represents each name of Allah. While subha consisting of 33 beads relate to a hadith that calls on Muslims, after they have prayed, to repeat subhanallah (glorious is God) 33 times, alhamdulillah (all praise be to God) 33 times and Allahu Akbar (God is great) 33 times.
    http://dharma-beads.net/history-pray...se-beads/islam

  7. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    An important aspect of Sufism is contemplation of Taqwa (love of God) and the Sufi that had and continues to have the most influence on this matter is Rabia al Basri (713 CE - 801 CE)...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabia_of_Basra
    Some examples of her poetry-
    http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/Poet...sri/index.html

    Another Sufi who speaks of love is Ibn Arabi (1165 -1240 CE)
    Prof William Chittick explains the intersections between Divine breath (Ruh), the 99 names, and Tawheed....
    start at 5:30 min
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9VyctYI_4

  8. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    Rumi is a Sufi poet most loved in the West.
    His Sufi order---the Mevlevi order use sema as a way of meditiation

  9. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    For more information in English about Mevlevi Sufism go here
    https://sufism.org/

    In the East (India, China...etc) there is a Sufi order known as the Naqshbandi...I may give more info on this later....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naqshbandi

    In some parts of Africa, the Mouridiya order may be well known....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouride

    In some parts of Europe and subcontinent the Chisti order may be well-known...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chishti_Order
    (they seem to be into devotional singing as a way to nearness to God)


    There are many Sufi orders as well as what some call neo-sufism (?) (---which may not be "Islamic")

    The philosopher and Sufi--Al Ghazzali was also influential.
    One of the philosophical ideas of Sufism is that God can be "known" through the Intellect/reason (Aql) and the heart (does not refer to biological heart) (Qalb) (= Intuition/Instinct). This way of "knowing" is balanced.
    here is a simplified summary of explanations of Al Gazzali about "knowing" Divine presense-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQSI3Km9NU

  10. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    791
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    34
    This is a perspective of a Non-Muslim (Western-centric) scholar on Islamic Mysticism and Neo-sufism

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •