Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Streaming Wars

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, I think you might be talking about something different. My parents have to get separate boxes for their cable TV, but I don't think that has anything to do with streaming, as in, cable internet streaming. That is, you should be able to stream, say, Netflix, on any computer you own in your house (based on your router configuration). You're, of course, not required to stream Netflix (or any other service), but the option is available.
    They are tying things to an app, and you either need a Roku, a Samsung Smart TV, or this box you connect to your internet to watch cable TV with the changes they are making. Oh, apparently Xbox One also works for this. We have a DVR in the living room, but soon that won't be enough. The little "boxes" they gave us before won't work for it either. You specifically have to use a new device they are offering, or something else that can stream through their app. They are basically turning what used to be normal cable TV into streaming. At least in my area.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    They are tying things to an app, and you either need a Roku, a Samsung Smart TV, or this box you connect to your internet to watch cable TV with the changes they are making. Oh, apparently Xbox One also works for this. We have a DVR in the living room, but soon that won't be enough. The little "boxes" they gave us before won't work for it either. You specifically have to use a new device they are offering, or something else that can stream through their app. They are basically turning what used to be normal cable TV into streaming. At least in my area.
    Hmm. Never heard of that.

Edit: Just looked it up. It sounds optional, and sounds like a great alternative for someone who wants cable TV but doesn't care for sports. Basic cable for $19.95 a month.
    Includes

CNN
    Bravo
    A&E
    AMC
    Discovery
    Food
    TBS
    Lifetime
    FX
    National Geographic Channel
    HGTV
    The History Channel
    Freeform
    Hallmark Channel
    Hallmark Movies
    Animal Planet
    E!
    Lifetime Movie Network
    Oxygen
    TNT
    TLC
    USA
    WGN America
    Spectrum News

http://stopthecap.com/2017/06/29/cha...v-alternative/

Thing is, like I mentioned previously, the only people I know who hold onto cable who might be interested in something like this are people who want their sports.
    Last edited by Adrift; 08-11-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm. Never heard of that.

Edit: Just looked it up. It sounds optional, and sounds like a great alternative for someone who wants cable TV but doesn't care for sports. Basic cable for $19.95 a month.
    Includes

CNN
    Bravo
    A&E
    AMC
    Discovery
    Food
    TBS
    Lifetime
    FX
    National Geographic Channel
    HGTV
    The History Channel
    Freeform
    Hallmark Channel
    Hallmark Movies
    Animal Planet
    E!
    Lifetime Movie Network
    Oxygen
    TNT
    TLC
    USA
    WGN America
    Spectrum News

http://stopthecap.com/2017/06/29/cha...v-alternative/

Thing is, like I mentioned previously, the only people I know who hold onto cable who might be interested in something like this are people who want their sports.
    Ours isn't optional. They said we have to get this box, or other devices, or we don't get our cable. At least, that's what they were explaining to me and my mom earlier today.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ours isn't optional. They said we have to get this box, or other devices, or we don't get our cable. At least, that's what they were explaining to me and my mom earlier today.
    Are you paying approx. the same price? $19.99?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We have a bundle of all of our services. They said we get the box for the first year for free*, but I know we pay a lot more than that a month. In the place I live Spectrum/TWC has a near monopoly. So if you've had them for a long time your rates just get higher and higher. Likely we will have to go to just internet if this keeps up.

*I think this is due to the forced changes. After that the box, by itself is $4.99. Adding in a second is another $8 or so.

6. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We have a bundle of all of our services. They said we get the box for the first year for free*, but I know we pay a lot more than that a month. In the place I live Spectrum/TWC has a near monopoly. So if you've had them for a long time your rates just get higher and higher. Likely we will have to go to just internet if this keeps up.

*I think this is due to the forced changes. After that the box, by itself is $4.99. Adding in a second is another $8 or so.
    Hmm. That really sucks. Spectrum is the only people in town for us as well, but so far no one's had their cable taken away. I was okay with the takeover, because they boosted my internet speeds by about 3X for the same price, and no caps (yet). Still wish we had some competition though.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm. That really sucks. Spectrum is the only people in town for us as well, but so far no one's had their cable taken away. I was okay with the takeover, because they boosted my internet speeds by about 3X for the same price, and no caps (yet). Still wish we had some competition though.
    We started with Insightbb, then it changd to TWC, now they are moving us to Spectrum. If we wanted internet only, at the speed we get now, it's like around double what we pay now. None of those groups had good service, and it's only been slightly better recently. we are used to outages every other week, or more. I'm hoping Google Fiber gets here, and provides some competition.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    We still use my parents' Netflix. My mom also has Amazon, but I really just use her prime membership to get fast shipping on my schoolbooks. They also just switched over to DIRECTV but I've only used it to watch a few episodes of one thing online. Our old apartment complex included basic cable in the rent. Now that we're in a new building we just use internet. At some point when I have a good grasp on how much we'll be spending on rent and basic utilities, I might get Seeso. They have some of my favorite British comedies that aren't on Netflix anymore.
    I really wish I was a student, because Amazon thinks I'm one based on my purchasing preferences.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If only they offered sports-only packages for that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

11. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I really wish I was a student, because Amazon thinks I'm one based on my purchasing preferences.
    You are a student of life.

I'm always still in trouble again