Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Streaming Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
    We still use my parents' Netflix. My mom also has Amazon, but I really just use her prime membership to get fast shipping on my schoolbooks. They also just switched over to DIRECTV but I've only used it to watch a few episodes of one thing online. Our old apartment complex included basic cable in the rent. Now that we're in a new building we just use internet. At some point when I have a good grasp on how much we'll be spending on rent and basic utilities, I might get Seeso. They have some of my favorite British comedies that aren't on Netflix anymore.
    Seeso is shutting down. One of the first casualties of the Streaming Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Seeso is shutting down. One of the first casualties of the Streaming Wars.
      Dang. They never make it easy to get my Britcoms.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Dang. They never make it easy to get my Britcoms.
        Yeah I like British sitcoms. Red Dwarf was probably one of my favorites.

Comment

I love that one. Blackadder is my favorite, though.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Watched like 4 seasons of that show and just could not get the appeal. Blackadder I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Yeah, I think you might be talking about something different. My parents have to get separate boxes for their cable TV, but I don't think that has anything to do with streaming, as in, cable internet streaming. That is, you should be able to stream, say, Netflix, on any computer you own in your house (based on your router configuration). You're, of course, not required to stream Netflix (or any other service), but the option is available.
              They are tying things to an app, and you either need a Roku, a Samsung Smart TV, or this box you connect to your internet to watch cable TV with the changes they are making. Oh, apparently Xbox One also works for this. We have a DVR in the living room, but soon that won't be enough. The little "boxes" they gave us before won't work for it either. You specifically have to use a new device they are offering, or something else that can stream through their app. They are basically turning what used to be normal cable TV into streaming. At least in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                They are tying things to an app, and you either need a Roku, a Samsung Smart TV, or this box you connect to your internet to watch cable TV with the changes they are making. Oh, apparently Xbox One also works for this. We have a DVR in the living room, but soon that won't be enough. The little "boxes" they gave us before won't work for it either. You specifically have to use a new device they are offering, or something else that can stream through their app. They are basically turning what used to be normal cable TV into streaming. At least in my area.
                Hmm. Never heard of that.

Edit: Just looked it up. It sounds optional, and sounds like a great alternative for someone who wants cable TV but doesn't care for sports. Basic cable for $19.95 a month.
                Includes

CNN
                Bravo
                A&E
                AMC
                Discovery
                Food
                TBS
                Lifetime
                FX
                National Geographic Channel
                HGTV
                The History Channel
                Freeform
                Hallmark Channel
                Hallmark Movies
                Animal Planet
                E!
                Lifetime Movie Network
                Oxygen
                TNT
                TLC
                USA
                WGN America
                Spectrum News

http://stopthecap.com/2017/06/29/cha...v-alternative/

Thing is, like I mentioned previously, the only people I know who hold onto cable who might be interested in something like this are people who want their sports.
                Last edited by Adrift; 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Never heard of that.

Edit: Just looked it up. It sounds optional, and sounds like a great alternative for someone who wants cable TV but doesn't care for sports. Basic cable for $19.95 a month.
                  Includes

CNN
                  Bravo
                  A&E
                  AMC
                  Discovery
                  Food
                  TBS
                  Lifetime
                  FX
                  National Geographic Channel
                  HGTV
                  The History Channel
                  Freeform
                  Hallmark Channel
                  Hallmark Movies
                  Animal Planet
                  E!
                  Lifetime Movie Network
                  Oxygen
                  TNT
                  TLC
                  USA
                  WGN America
                  Spectrum News

http://stopthecap.com/2017/06/29/cha...v-alternative/

Thing is, like I mentioned previously, the only people I know who hold onto cable who might be interested in something like this are people who want their sports.
                  Ours isn't optional. They said we have to get this box, or other devices, or we don't get our cable. At least, that's what they were explaining to me and my mom earlier today.

Comment

Ours isn't optional. They said we have to get this box, or other devices, or we don't get our cable. At least, that's what they were explaining to me and my mom earlier today.
                    Are you paying approx. the same price? $19.99?

Comment

We have a bundle of all of our services. They said we get the box for the first year for free*, but I know we pay a lot more than that a month. In the place I live Spectrum/TWC has a near monopoly. So if you've had them for a long time your rates just get higher and higher. Likely we will have to go to just internet if this keeps up.

*I think this is due to the forced changes. After that the box, by itself is $4.99. Adding in a second is another $8 or so.

Comment

We have a bundle of all of our services. They said we get the box for the first year for free*, but I know we pay a lot more than that a month. In the place I live Spectrum/TWC has a near monopoly. So if you've had them for a long time your rates just get higher and higher. Likely we will have to go to just internet if this keeps up.

*I think this is due to the forced changes. After that the box, by itself is $4.99. Adding in a second is another $8 or so.
                        Hmm. That really sucks. Spectrum is the only people in town for us as well, but so far no one's had their cable taken away. I was okay with the takeover, because they boosted my internet speeds by about 3X for the same price, and no caps (yet). Still wish we had some competition though.

Comment

Hmm. That really sucks. Spectrum is the only people in town for us as well, but so far no one's had their cable taken away. I was okay with the takeover, because they boosted my internet speeds by about 3X for the same price, and no caps (yet). Still wish we had some competition though.
                          We started with Insightbb, then it changd to TWC, now they are moving us to Spectrum. If we wanted internet only, at the speed we get now, it's like around double what we pay now. None of those groups had good service, and it's only been slightly better recently. we are used to outages every other week, or more. I'm hoping Google Fiber gets here, and provides some competition.

Comment

We still use my parents' Netflix. My mom also has Amazon, but I really just use her prime membership to get fast shipping on my schoolbooks. They also just switched over to DIRECTV but I've only used it to watch a few episodes of one thing online. Our old apartment complex included basic cable in the rent. Now that we're in a new building we just use internet. At some point when I have a good grasp on how much we'll be spending on rent and basic utilities, I might get Seeso. They have some of my favorite British comedies that aren't on Netflix anymore.
                            I really wish I was a student, because Amazon thinks I'm one based on my purchasing preferences.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If only they offered sports-only packages for that.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                I really wish I was a student, because Amazon thinks I'm one based on my purchasing preferences.
                                You are a student of life.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment