Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Streaming Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming Wars

Lately it seems like every media mogul is trying to start their own streaming service. You have Netflix and Amazon. Then you have Hulu. Then CBS All Access. SlingTV, DirecTV, and now I hear Disney and Verizon are wading into the waters.

It is like a shark smelling blood (in this case money). The future of TV is going to be streaming. That's a given. The ability to watch your shows on any device, anywhere you are, is pretty powerful.

The problem I see is that you have too many greedy people all trying for a slice of the pie. If every network has it's own exclusive content (aka CBS All access with only CBS shows, Disney with only Disney/ABC shows) and all wanting to charge the consumer monthly rates of around $10/month, and each having a different interface, they are all going to lose. People are not going to spend $10/month on a whole multitude of different media sources.

They want something like cable is now, where you pay a monthly rate and get all of the media sources/networks in one place. The marketplace can't sustain every network trying to be it's own separate media resource.

I hope they work this crap out fast.

They are already forcing us into streaming with Spectrum/Time Warner Cable.

Comment

If I could get, e.g., just the NFL Network, I'd actually buy it. In order to get it now, however, I have to buy a crap-ton of other junk I'll never watch.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I just want one central location (like Netflix) that has all of the other networks and channels on it, CBS, TNT, ABC, NBC, BBC, etc.

I don't want to have to buy a dozen different services with different interfaces all just to watch different channels.

The various networks like CBS, TNT, etc, should be content producers, who then turn around and sell their shows/movies to content providers like Netflix and Hulu. Netflix and Hulu and a few other providers then become the new "cable" companies. Consumers can choose which one to use but all will have basically the same content. If you get DirectTV or Spectrum, or a different cable company now, you still get the same channels and content. Streaming should be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Lately it seems like every media mogul is trying to start their own streaming service. You have Netflix and Amazon. Then you have Hulu. Then CBS All Access. SlingTV, DirecTV, and now I hear Disney and Verizon are wading into the waters.

It is like a shark smelling blood (in this case money). The future of TV is going to be streaming. That's a given. The ability to watch your shows on any device, anywhere you are, is pretty powerful.

The problem I see is that you have too many greedy people all trying for a slice of the pie. If every network has it's own exclusive content (aka CBS All access with only CBS shows, Disney with only Disney/ABC shows) and all wanting to charge the consumer monthly rates of around $10/month, and each having a different interface, they are all going to lose. People are not going to spend $10/month on a whole multitude of different media sources.

They want something like cable is now, where you pay a monthly rate and get all of the media sources/networks in one place. The marketplace can't sustain every network trying to be it's own separate media resource.

I hope they work this crap out fast.
          I expected this way back when Netflix split their streaming service from their DVD mail service, and when Hulu popped up. I figured it was only a matter of time that a cable format would eventually be integrated into streaming services. There was absolutely no way that mega-corporations were going to let all that cable TV money slip through their fingers. For years people have been begging for an a la carte system not realizing that these corporations were going to get their money one way or the other. So, instead of one service that offers all the programming you do and don't want to watch for one ridiculous price, you'll be stuck subscribing to a dozen streaming services to catch all the programming you want to watch for the same/greater price. I predict that some enterprising company will eventually come along that gathers all of those streaming services under one umbrella that you can pay a reduced price to watch, and it'll likely cost the same/more than standard cable does today.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          They are already forcing us into streaming with Spectrum/Time Warner Cable.
          Hmm. I have Spectrum, and I do a lot of streaming, but haven't been forced into it. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            If I could get, e.g., just the NFL Network, I'd actually buy it. In order to get it now, however, I have to buy a crap-ton of other junk I'll never watch.
            Sports programming is what keeps most people I know from dropping cable altogether. Cable companies know that which is why they're unlikely to ever let it go. Thankfully I hate sports, so I've been cable free for nearly two decades.

Comment

competition is good. wanting a monopoly for personal convenience, not so much

also, insert torrent joke here
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I expected this way back when Netflix split their streaming service from their DVD mail service, and when Hulu popped up. I figured it was only a matter of time that a cable format would eventually be integrated into streaming services. There was absolutely no way that mega-corporations were going to let all that cable TV money slip through their fingers. For years people have been begging for an a la carte system not realizing that these corporations were going to get their money one way or the other. So, instead of one service that offers all the programming you do and don't want to watch for one ridiculous price, you'll be stuck subscribing to a dozen streaming services to catch all the programming you want to watch for the same/greater price. I predict that some enterprising company will eventually come along that gathers all of those streaming services under one umbrella that you can pay a reduced price to watch, and it'll likely cost the same/more than standard cable does today.

Hmm. I have Spectrum, and I do a lot of streaming, but haven't been forced into it. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
                They just made a change where we have to have a special box, or streaming device for each of our TV's in order to watch our cable. Apparently that big giant cable coming through our wall is no longer enough to watch what we paid for. Fortunately we have some stuff that can stream things, and they are giving us one free box to do this with. They are sending it to us at the beginning of next week. I don't know if they are doing this in other places though.

Comment

Yeah they will get their money one way or another. And probably still stick you with in-stream advertising to boot.

But I don't think they can continue each trying to be their own streaming service separately. They just don't have enough content to keep people paying a separate monthly fee. I mean CBS all access has what? Star Trek? that's about it? But let's say they have 5 or 6 TV shows that are good. And NBC has 5, and Fox has 5, and each one wants to charge you $10/month. People are not going to pay that much for a few shows if they have to buy a dozen different services. The networks can make a lot more by selling their shows to the content providers like Netflix and Hulu than trying to run their own thing. Basically the same way Cable companies work today. If you had to buy a separate cable service for every channel you would not do it unless it were only a couple of dollars per month per channel.

Comment

Sports programming is what keeps most people I know from dropping cable altogether. Cable companies know that which is why they're unlikely to ever let it go. Thankfully I hate sports, so I've been cable free for nearly two decades.
                    It hasn't kept me from not buying cable. I just watch what I can pull in over the airwaves, or go to a friend's house to watch.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      They just made a change where we have to have a special box, or streaming device for each of our TV's in order to watch our cable. Apparently that big giant cable coming through our wall is no longer enough to watch what we paid for. Fortunately we have some stuff that can stream things, and they are giving us one free box to do this with. They are sending it to us at the beginning of next week. I don't know if they are doing this in other places though.
                      Yeah, I think you might be talking about something different. My parents have to get separate boxes for their cable TV, but I don't think that has anything to do with streaming, as in, cable internet streaming. That is, you should be able to stream, say, Netflix, on any computer you own in your house (based on your router configuration). You're, of course, not required to stream Netflix (or any other service), but the option is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah they will get their money one way or another. And probably still stick you with in-stream advertising to boot.

But I don't think they can continue each trying to be their own streaming service separately. They just don't have enough content to keep people paying a separate monthly fee. I mean CBS all access has what? Star Trek? that's about it? But let's say they have 5 or 6 TV shows that are good. And NBC has 5, and Fox has 5, and each one wants to charge you $10/month. People are not going to pay that much for a few shows if they have to buy a dozen different services. The networks can make a lot more by selling their shows to the content providers like Netflix and Hulu than trying to run their own thing. Basically the same way Cable companies work today. If you had to buy a separate cable service for every channel you would not do it unless it were only a couple of dollars per month per channel.
                        True, but I have a co-worker who spends money on Netflix, Hulu +, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. I'm pretty certain that when Disney launches their own streaming service he'll subscribe to that too. You add in specialized services like Filmstruck (for their Criterion collection), Shudder for horror nerds, Sony Playstation's channel, and others... it adds up. And heck, you're paying for ads when you subscribe to Hulu +, so yeah, you're right, they're already doing the in-stream ads.

Comment

Yeah, I think you might be talking about something different. My parents have to get separate boxes for their cable TV, but I don't think that has anything to do with streaming, as in, cable internet streaming. That is, you should be able to stream, say, Netflix, on any computer you own in your house (based on your router configuration). You're, of course, not required to stream Netflix (or any other service), but the option is available.
                          yeah the boxes are just because the cable companies like Spectrum have encrypted all of the channels so you need a box to decode the channels instead of just plugging the cable directly into your TV.

Streaming refers to getting the TV through the internet connection (which in the case of cable you are getting your internet from the cable itself)

Comment

True, but I have a co-worker who spends money on Netflix, Hulu +, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. I'm pretty certain that when Disney launches their own streaming service he'll subscribe to that too. You add in specialized services like Filmstruck (for their Criterion collection), Shudder for horror nerds, Sony Playstation's channel, and others... it adds up. And heck, you're paying for ads when you subscribe to Hulu +, so yeah, you're right, they're already doing the in-stream ads.
                            I watch around a dozen different channels so I would be happy if I could find a service that had all dozen of them and I could pay a small monthly fee for each, like a couple of bucks each. A La Carte but from one provider.

Currently, in addition to regular cable tv, I have Netflix and Amazon (I get Amazon because I already have a Prime membership).

Comment

We still use my parents' Netflix. My mom also has Amazon, but I really just use her prime membership to get fast shipping on my schoolbooks. They also just switched over to DIRECTV but I've only used it to watch a few episodes of one thing online. Our old apartment complex included basic cable in the rent. Now that we're in a new building we just use internet. At some point when I have a good grasp on how much we'll be spending on rent and basic utilities, I might get Seeso. They have some of my favorite British comedies that aren't on Netflix anymore.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment