Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Prostitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostitution

I can not see any moral reason for it to be legal.
    sigpic

i see no moral reason to ban it in the current cultural environment and plenty of practical reasons not to ban it
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      It is not legal for any reasons related to morality.

Actually it is not really legal.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Actually it is not really legal.
        It is in much of Nevada and part of Europe.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          It is in much of Nevada and part of Europe.
          Just about everywhere south of the border as well except a bunch of Carribean islands.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Two consenting adults who decide to engage in sex for financial transaction is in my mind no different substantially than paying for any other type of service.

And yeah I don't think morality has anything to do with it. It seems to be one of those "we just need to monitor everything" type of ordeals which never really pans out as intended anyway.

Comment

The big problem in my mind seems to be one of regulatory issues and ensuring safety. I would recommend implementing more private security and having rules enforced by private entities rather than just having it outlawed. The thing about legalities is that they ultimately do not deter committed criminals or underground networks. I'm much more in favor of establishing a more mainstream network of organizations that have to operate within certain parameters but are also given proper resources and backing to enforce safety for the people involved to minimize abuse and human trafficking. Without a shadow of a doubt there are some people out there who would voluntarily go into sex work for their own set of reasons and some who would view it as any other profession. For that reason alone I think it's always worth a shot as long as you remain adamantly anti-human trafficking and consent is always made a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by The Locust View Post
                Two consenting adults who decide to engage in sex for financial transaction is in my mind no different substantially than paying for any other type of service.

And yeah I don't think morality has anything to do with it. It seems to be one of those "we just need to monitor everything" type of ordeals which never really pans out as intended anyway.
                The problem with this approach is that prostitution is not just about two consenting adults. It involves mistreatment of many "sex workers" with pimps making most of the money out of the deal.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  So what? Basing laws on morality is of dubious wisdom.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    So what? Basing laws on morality is of dubious wisdom.
                    Tell that to God re: Leviticus.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Our governments are not God, and this is not a theocracy. I do not trust our law makers any further, as the saying goes, than I could throw them.

Comment

afaik the ot did not have a blanket ban on prostitution
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

The problem with this approach is that prostitution is not just about two consenting adults. It involves mistreatment of many "sex workers" with pimps making most of the money out of the deal.
                          mistreatment is already illegal

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            afaik the ot did not have a blanket ban on prostitution
                            The quote I was responding to didn't directly relate to prostitution. He was saying that it's foolish to make morality based legislation.

Comment

That seems to be an argument for making it legal and heavily regulated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X