Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White Supremacists protest at UVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    White pride is fine if it's not a euphemism for KKK and neo-Nazism.
    I think that's the point he's making. People can talk about black pride, or brown pride, but as soon as someone mentions "white pride" the first thing that comes to mind is the KKK and neo-Nazis. He's attempting to show a double-standard. It's not a particularly nuanced attempt, but it sounds like to me he's playing devil's advocate, not that he actually believes there's something in white people that makes them inherently superior to people with other skin tones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      It's not a particularly nuanced attempt....
      Not nuanced? me? And considering the fact that I'm half Latino and half Italian.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Not nuanced? me?
        Yeah, whoda thunk!

Originally posted by seer View Post
        And considering the fact that I'm half Latino and half Italian.
        Not sure that really helps as both are typically considered Caucasian. That's changed recently for Latinos, but historically they've been considered Caucasian, that's why there was little resistance to Lucy being with Ricky back in the 50s. Growing up in a very multicultural city on the East Coast, Latinos in my neighborhood were all considered Caucasian, or, at least Mestizo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I think that's the point he's making. People can talk about black pride, or brown pride, but as soon as someone mentions "white pride" the first thing that comes to mind is the KKK and neo-Nazis.
          That's because it is a motto adopted by the neo-Nazis.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

That's because it is a motto adopted by the neo-Nazis.
            So black pride is automatically racist because the New Black Panthers use it?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Liberals considering everything a white person says to be a euphemism for KKK and neo-Nazism.
              Not everything, just Klan and neo-Nazi slogans.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Me: White pride is fine if it's not a euphemism for KKK and neo-Nazism.
                Seer: So black pride is automatically racist because the New Black Panthers use it?

Adrift, can you find an excuse for the above?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man
                  Do you find it at all ironic that David Duke and the KKK have their roots deeply embedded in the Democrat party?
                  Historically there's some truth to this, but the party has gone through a lot of changes. Somehow I don't think David Duke, the KKK, Richard Spencer and all the alt-right secretly vote Democrat.

Its a good question when the shift occurred. But if there's a party these guys are against its the Democrats.
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 08-15-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Me: White pride is fine if it's not a euphemism for KKK and neo-Nazism.
                    Seer: So black pride is automatically racist because the New Black Panthers use it?

No Roy, you are wrong,

I was answering this: That's because it is a motto adopted by the neo-Nazis.

So white pride is bad because the KKK use it, but black pride is OK even if groups like the New Black Panthers use it. A double standard...
                    Last edited by seer; 08-15-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      You seriously think that David Duke, the KKK, Richard Spencer and all that alt-right ilk secretly vote Democrat? Of course you don't, you're not that stupid. Historically there's some truth to this, but the party has gone through a lot of changes and these deplorables found a new party who'd tickle their bigotry.

Its a good question when the shift occurred. But those guys belong solidly to Republicans now, like it or not. They're part of Trump's voter base, and judging by his latest responses to what happened, he knows it.
                      Yes, let's ignore the fact that Democrats continue to promote division, bigotry, and racism to this day, and they're terrified that the blacks of America are going to wise up and leave the "plantation" that the Democrat party has worked hard to keep them on through entitlements and generational welfare.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yes, let's ignore the fact that Democrats continue to promote division, bigotry, and racism to this day, and they're terrified that the blacks of America are going to wise up and leave the "plantation" that the Democrat party has worked hard to keep them on through entitlements and generational welfare.
                        I apologize for the tone in that quote. After posting it, I mulled it over and regretted it. While things are passionate, I don't think it should affect discourse. Sorry for putting it this way.

Comment

Absolutely. He's still pointing to the double-standard. Even though you're okay with saying that white pride is fine as long as it's not a euphemism, you seem to realize that it can not be disassociated from that euphemism. And you're right. It can't be. In modern Western English "White Pride" is a dirty phrase. Even if you were to attempt to talk about it while disassociating it from racists, it'd make people mighty uncomfortable. You'll never hear a politician (who keeps his job anyways) talk about white pride being okay, as long as it's not associated with the KKK. It's just too polarizing a phrase, and his opponents would jump on his case as soon as he said it to point out that he's a racist, even if he clarified his stance. It's just the way things are.

seer is basically saying "this isn't fair." But more to the point, seer doesn't seem to be saying "this isn't fair" because he wants to use the phrase "white pride". It seems to me he's saying it isn't fair because "black pride" is also associated with negative elements, but far from a negative association, it has a positive association. If things were fair, seer is saying, then "black pride" should be seen as negative a phrase as "white pride".

Comment

• As of this day though, the KKK, Alt-right, Richard Spencer etc... are thorough bred anti-Democrats. I'm not sure they're pro-Republican, except only as a way of going against Democrats and all that they stand for.

Comment

• This is interesting...

Source: Breitbart

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) reports that Jason Kessler, the organizer of last Saturday’s white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, is rumored to be a former Occupy Wall Street activist and supporter of Barack Obama.

The left-wing SPLC is often partisan and overzealous in targeting hate groups, lumping legitimate conservative organizations together with actual extremists. Therefore its identification of Kessler’s left-wing roots is significant.

The SPLC notes:

Rumors abound on white nationalist forums that Kessler’s ideological pedigree before 2016 was less than pure and seem to point to involvement in the Occupy movement and past support for President Obama.

At one recent speech in favor of Charlottesville’s status as a sanctuary city, Kessler live-streamed himself as an attendee questioned him and apologized for an undisclosed spat during Kessler’s apparent involvement with Occupy. Kessler appeared visibly perturbed by the woman’s presence and reminders of their past association.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...jason-kessler/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                No Roy, you are wrong,

I was answering this: That's because it is a motto adopted by the neo-Nazis.
                                Updated:

Adrift: I think that's the point he's making. People can talk about black pride, or brown pride, but as soon as someone mentions "white pride" the first thing that comes to mind is the KKK and neo-Nazis.
                                Me: That's because it ["white pride"] is a motto adopted by the neo-Nazis.

Adrift, can you find an excuse for the above? Any reason to believe I might think "black pride" is automatically racist, when I explicitly stated that "white pride" was fine in some contexts? Anything to justify the leap from a factual statement about a group's adopted motto to my views about a similar motto? Any reason at all to think seer isn't a habitual liar who deliberately and knowingly misrepresents anything and everything, including his own sources, and when proven wrong just moves onto a different misrepresentation?

Comment