Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sit Down and Shut Up, You <insert strong language here>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    It boggles me that people judge past cultures by OUR values and assume that our societies values are the right ones and everyone else's are immoral. What will people 200 years from now think about our society, and does that make them right?
    I firmly believe that in 200 years or so, abortion will be considered a barbarous practice left to the scrap heap of history.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      The usual conservative suspects: feminism, race, homosexuality, transrights, healthcare, etc.
      Just because Ben Shapiro doesn't believe that feelings should be used in policy decisions you choose to place a false motive on him. What is the real reason you are attributing a false motive on Ben Shapiro hmm? Is because he does not let feelings tell him what the world is like and chooses give all views a place at the table even those he disagrees with? Or is it because you are afraid to hear any view you disagree with? or are you one of those leftist who only want your view to be heard?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I firmly believe that in 200 years or so, abortion will be considered a barbarous practice left to the scrap heap of history.
        I suspect that it will be viewed as how most folks view the practice of slavery.

I wonder if any statues or portraits of politicians who supported it will be removed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
          Just because Ben Shapiro doesn't believe that feelings should be used in policy decisions you choose to place a false motive on him. What is the real reason you are attributing a false motive on Ben Shapiro hmm? Is because he does not let feelings tell him what the world is like and chooses give all views a place at the table even those he disagrees with? Or is it because you are afraid to hear any view you disagree with? or are you one of those leftist who only want your view to be heard?
          I'm saying that the policies he advocates would result in harm to minorities. Where did all this business about false motives, feelings, and armchair psychology come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Huh. I feel it's actually going the other way, and that more and more people will begin to accept infanticide and euthanasia along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Huh. I feel it's actually going the other way, and that more and more people will begin to accept infanticide and euthanasia along with it.
              I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse before it got better.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I suspect that it will be viewed as how most folks view the practice of slavery.

I wonder if any statues or portraits of politicians who supported it will be removed.
                I kinda pointed out that parallel to Leonhard here, but he doesn't seem to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Strictly speaking the Nazis were into Aryan supremacy. They didn't consider Jews and Slavs to be the same race as white Europeans. They considered them, along with Turks, Syrians, Armenians and others, to be non-Aryans: descendants of an Eastern, Asian race.

The Nazis were thoroughly into 'white' supremacy. They simply had different criteria regarding who counted as 'white'. Jews and Slavs didn't.
                  Nope. Even within Aryans they had different ranks. They were Germanic (or more accurately, nordic) supremacists.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Can you link me to an academic definition of Aryan that doesn't include other countries or that there was a superior subgroup that didn't include other countries?
                    Read what I actually said. You keep talking about political entities when you should be talking about ethnic groups.

You shouldn't side against them because they're a threat, you should side against them because their view is intrinsically immoral.
                    So is yours. So why should I ignore who poses an actual threat?

What/where do you consider to be the origin of the alt-right?
                    Around the start of Trump's 2016 candidacy.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm saying that the policies he advocates would result in harm to minorities.
                      if that is what you had said PM we would not be having this discussion. Your exact words "wants to bring harm to minorities" that is ascribing a motive to someone not describing what you think the policies they advocated would bring.

Where did all this business about false motives, feelings, and armchair psychology come from?
                      It came because you ascribed a motive which is patently false about someone you don't know. instead saying what you are saying now which is a more reasonable way of stating your case.

You did not give me any proof when asked to that he has said he wants to bring harm minorities at all. You only gave me a list of isms that I'm guessing(correct me if I'm wrong) you disagree with him on as if that would prove your original point that he "wants to bring harm to minorities". it didn't' PM, I guess you realized that when I turned the tables on you.

PM, you ascribed a motive to someone you didn't know because you disagreed with his view. Now do you get Teal's point in her OP.
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse before it got better.
                        I'd be surprised if it got better.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I'd be surprised if it got better.
                          If the nation survives the division the left has created (a big if in my mind) sanity has to win in the long run.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            If the nation survives the division the left has created (a big if in my mind) sanity has to win in the long run.
                            I have a friend who's going through a rough time, and the other day I said, "It will get better. We may have to die first, but it will get better."

So the abortion problem will get better. It might not get better until God makes it better, but it will get better.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment