Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sit Down and Shut Up, You <insert strong language here>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit Down and Shut Up, You <insert strong language here>

People who think like you do are vile, evil and unworthy of the title human. There's no place for your hate speech in polite - or any society. There's no excuse for thinking the way you do.

Okay, the two of you who are inexplicably still reading, tell me, what did the above accomplish? Right, I made people mad and didn't convince anyone to change anything. Useless.

Censoring public discourse has a very nasty side effect - people who can't be heard peaceably will make themselves heard violently. There's a difference between maintaining civility in public discourse (something of a lost art, really) and excluding people entirely because you don't like what they have to say. The latter is in part responsible for the extreme backlash we are currently seeing. Continually marginalizing people rather than tackling their ideas does nothing good. It doesn't, obviously, always contribute to violence - at least not necessarily violence to others (unknown how it contributes to suicide, if at all. Presumably, it does.).

For nearly twenty years we have been telling people who's ideas we don't like - justifiably so - to shut up, get lost, get to the back of the proverbial bus. I don't know that the recent violence is directly related but it's beyond conception that the systematic silencing of people hasn't contributed to the violent outburst.

It certainly doesn't justify the violence - nor make the most repugnant of ideas correct - but maybe we'd be better served if we tried to defuse bombs instead of trying to bury them under potential shrapnel. They don't need to be treated with kid gloves - but should be heard. That racism is at issue is what points the finger here - racism is the easiest of all bias' to refute. Skin color is just that - skin color and nothing more. All the crap we build around it, that stuff only makes sense to the angry and the hurting - yes, hurting - and once vented, stands no chance in the light of reason - or day, for that matter.

Yeah, I see a lot of blame for the liberal side here, but honestly, conservatives have been in power much of the time this nonsense was going on so it ain't just them. Liberals wanted to silence dissent - conservatives didn't want to upset potential voters. Congrats, politics won at the cost of public discourse - you know, one of the underlying foundations of a democratic republic. Baby, bath water and tub all out the window - and Baby is crawling back in with a bone to pick.

Okay, have at it. I'm fairly sure 90% of those about to answer won't have read what I said past the first line - which is another reason telling people their ideas make them subhuman isn't a good way to start a dialogue. Of the few that did - feel free to disagree - but I challenge you to actually conduct a dialogue, not a diatribe. The opening was enough of that crap, don't you think?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

If we can even get to the point where we are trying to account for violence as you allude to in your fourth paragraph, then we're getting further than the status quo.

On this board, somebody speculated that the guy who drove into the crowd was really a liberal, and the posters on this board ran with that. When this was later refuted, nobody said anything... the idea quietly went away. But it sure would have been nice to just blame the violence on the other side regardless of the facts.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Okay, the two of you who are inexplicably still reading, tell me, what did the above accomplish? Right, I made people mad and didn't convince anyone to change anything. Useless.

Censoring public discourse has a very nasty side effect - people who can't be heard peaceably will make themselves heard violently. There's a difference between maintaining civility in public discourse (something of a lost art, really) and excluding people entirely because you don't like what they have to say. The latter is in part responsible for the extreme backlash we are currently seeing. Continually marginalizing people rather than tackling their ideas does nothing good. It doesn't, obviously, always contribute to violence - at least not necessarily violence to others (unknown how it contributes to suicide, if at all. Presumably, it does.).

For nearly twenty years we have been telling people who's ideas we don't like - justifiably so - to shut up, get lost, get to the back of the proverbial bus. I don't know that the recent violence is directly related but it's beyond conception that the systematic silencing of people hasn't contributed to the violent outburst.

It certainly doesn't justify the violence - nor make the most repugnant of ideas correct - but maybe we'd be better served if we tried to defuse bombs instead of trying to bury them under potential shrapnel. They don't need to be treated with kid gloves - but should be heard.
      Congrats!!! You finally realized that teaming up with progs and libs, screaming 'racist!!! racist!!!!' will cause big big problem, which we are seeing only small small part today. Better late than never, but I think too late to change anything. It'll just get uglier and uglier.

So congrats!!!, for repressing so well and hard 'racists', until they finally had it and are okay with violence. Action has reaction, strong repress is only making stronger backlash as we can see!!
      Last edited by demi-conservative; 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        Congrats!!! You finally realized that teaming up with progs and libs, screaming 'racist!!! racist!!!!' will cause big big problem, which we are seeing only small small part today. Better late than never, but I think too late to change anything. It'll just get uglier and uglier.

So congrats!!!, for repressing so well and hard 'racists', until they finally had it and are okay with violence. Action has reaction, strong repress is only making stronger backlash as we can see!!
        You really have got to work on your reading comprehension. Or your ability to tell one person from another, not sure which.

Incidentally, your tossing people out of threads, screaming them down, name calling and utter refusal to actually discuss anything is the same problem with a different face.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You really have got to work on your reading comprehension. Or your ability to tell one person from another, not sure which.
          Translation: "Fault is with those other people that go "Sit Down and Shut Up!!!", not me!!!"

Incidentally, your tossing people out of threads, screaming them down, name calling and utter refusal to actually discuss anything is the same problem with a different face.
          Translation: "It's also with you, not with me!!!!"

Get off high horse of yours.

Comment

Trying to speak rationally with him is hopeless.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Translation: "Fault is with those other people that go "Sit Down and Shut Up!!!", not me!!!"

Translation: "It's also with you, not with me!!!!"

Get off high horse of yours.
              You still misunderstood - you keep making assertions about me that show you haven't the slightest idea who I am. That was the first comment.

The second you understood correctly - and promptly misconstrued.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Trying to speak rationally with him is hopeless.
                Yep, I know. But practicing your beliefs is often fraught with painful - and annoying - side effects...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  If we can even get to the point where we are trying to account for violence as you allude to in your fourth paragraph, then we're getting further than the status quo.

On this board, somebody speculated that the guy who drove into the crowd was really a liberal, and the posters on this board ran with that. When this was later refuted, nobody said anything... the idea quietly went away. But it sure would have been nice to just blame the violence on the other side regardless of the facts.
                  It wasn't just speculation, his license plate number was traced to an ultraliberal. It turned out to be wrong, but I wouldn't have posted it without evidence.

The violence can be blamed on the left regardless because while the left can protest whatever they want unmolested it's almost impossible for a right winger or even a moderate conservative like ben shapiro or charles murray to hold a speech without violent leftist mobs showing up. And I see nothing but silence from you on that subject.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

You still misunderstood - you keep making assertions about me that show you haven't the slightest idea who I am.
                    When progs call you (or conservative friends of yours) racist, you go 'that's not fair etc etc'. But then you like to join in with them to call other people racist, wanting them to 'shut up', stop saying views you don't like.

Same for sexist.

Comment

I think it's primarily a generational shift. Now that boomers are in charge they want peace, but the younger generations they ruined are not very stable. Boomers were themselves a very violent generation in their youth, much more violent than now (nobody is setting up hundreds of bombs a year, yet). Millenials in particular have a good bit of crazy in them (and I am one so you know I'm speaking from experience). Nevermind that violence is the norm throughout history. If anything, the peace we've enjoyed so far is an anomaly created by the production of nuclear weapons. But nuclear weapons won't act as much of a deterrent against civil war.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Teallaura, let's do summary of long first post of yours:

Guys, guys??!?!?! What we been doing so far looks like bad idea, starting to cause big mess. We need to stop now, and I mean now!!!!! Guys, guys?? Are you listening to me!!?!??!?!?!?!?]

----

Okay, no mocking for a moment. Total seriousness. It's just a bit late to want racists you all shamed and tabooed to come sit around campfire, singing kumbaya.
                        Last edited by demi-conservative; 08-13-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

When progs call you (or conservative friends of yours) racist, you go 'that's not fair etc etc'. But then you like to join in with them to call other people racist, wanting them to 'shut up', stop saying views you don't like.

Same for sexist.
                          Not fair wasn't what I stated - not ME. I'm not a progressive - never have been. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know one if you did meet one.

I haven't called you anything - I have pointed out that you play the same game you condemned.

Now I'm pointing out that you do so without the slightest clue.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            I think it's primarily a generational shift. Now that boomers are in charge they want peace, but the younger generations they ruined are not very stable. Boomers were themselves a very violent generation in their youth, much more violent than now (nobody is setting up hundreds of bombs a year, yet). Millenials in particular have a good bit of crazy in them (and I am one so you know I'm speaking from experience). Nevermind that violence is the norm throughout history. If anything, the peace we've enjoyed so far is an anomaly created by the production of nuclear weapons. But nuclear weapons won't act as much of a deterrent against civil war.
                            Hmm, I hadn't thought about that angle before.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Teallaura, let's do summary of long first post of yours:

----

Okay, no mocking for a moment. Total seriousness. It's just a bit late to want racists you all shamed and tabooed to come sit around campfire, singing kumbaya.
                              Do you even bother with facts? I haven't posted anything else on the topic. At. All.

Seriously, stop talking like you know me. Make whatever point you like, but quit pretending you know who you're talking to because you very obviously don't.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment