Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    So you are saying that the US should be held accountable for their slavery and made to pay reparations. I agree. And what about the genocide of Native Americans?
    You first you racist exploiter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Many nations have pasts which are less than glorious. The difference is that Australia and NZ, unlike the confederate memorials in Deep South USA, don’t build monuments to celebrate it.
      No you just erase it from the history books altogether and pretend it never happened. Much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
        New Zealand is one of three countries without a written constitution: time for change
        That opinion piece was written last year by a guy who's previously been the Prime Minister of NZ, and is one of the country's top legal scholars.

I get that you're so stupid you make morons look smart by comparison, but please get it through your thick skull that NZ is like the UK and Israel in having a democracy but not a written constitution.
        It's all explained in the link, kiddo, straight from your own government's website titled "The Constitution of New Zealand".

https://www.gg.govt.nz/office-govern...e/constitution

As I explained elsewhere, "I suspect you may be playing semantics here since New Zealand doesn't seem to have a single document that is the constitution but rather a collection of sources that have been codified into what is collectively referred to as the Constitution of New Zealand and which serves the exact same purpose as our Constitution here in the US..."

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post466119
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• MSESPN Pulls Asian Announcer Named Robert Lee Off UVa Game To Avoid Offending Idiots

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/m...ending-idiots/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              No you just erase it from the history books altogether and pretend it never happened. Much better.
              Now there is a rather significant difference between celebrating something and writing about it in history books. I have read quite many history books about famous men and women but they are certainly not always celebrated. So not celebrating something cannot be compared to erasing it from history books.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Another solid argument?
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  Now there is a rather significant difference between celebrating something and writing about it in history books. I have read quite many history books about famous men and women but they are certainly not always celebrated. So not celebrating something cannot be compared to erasing it from history books.
                  Source: Australia Comes to Grips With Slave History : Discrimination: Novelist's book recalls the traders who plundered South Pacific islands.
                  October 13, 1991|MICHAEL PERRY | REUTERS

SYDNEY, Australia — Shackled, flogged with kangaroo hide whips and raped at will, Australia's slaves died by the thousands. Between 1842 and 1904 more than 60,000 men and boys from the South Pacific islands, and an unknown number of women and girls, were kidnaped and brought to Australia to work as slaves on the sugar plantations that still dot the country's northeast coast. But their screams were ignored by the country's white historians, and 150 years later few Australians are aware of this brutal period of their history.

Comment

Source: Australia Comes to Grips With Slave History : Discrimination: Novelist's book recalls the traders who plundered South Pacific islands.

SYDNEY, Australia — Shackled, flogged with kangaroo hide whips and raped at will, Australia's slaves died by the thousands. Between 1842 and 1904 more than 60,000 men and boys from the South Pacific islands, and an unknown number of women and girls, were kidnaped and brought to Australia to work as slaves on the sugar plantations that still dot the country's northeast coast. But their screams were ignored by the country's white historians, and 150 years later few Australians are aware of this brutal period of their history.
                    Removing statues is a far cry from erasing things from history books. I somehow doubt that the left would remove such a convenient narrative for denigrating dead white men from them.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Another solid argument?
                      Somehow, I'm getting the idea that you don't think much of MM.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Somehow I think his entire "job" is to sit on the sidelines and make snarky comments and ask dumb questions, and when I do the same to him, he whines that he is being attacked.

Comment

And what does that change? Tassman only made the point you should not celebrate that past. He never said it should be ignored or erased from history books. You seemed to want to get away from his original point and focus on something else.

By the way the article you point to is more than 25 years old. Perhaps you want to read something that would take recent developments into account:

Australia's history is not a secret to most Australians, but you might not know some of the finer details and it may come as a shock to the rest of the world. Today, the majority of Australians take pride in being part of a multicultural, multi-ethnic society. But much like the United States, Australia has a brutally racist history.
                          https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/a...-white-utopia/

Comment

And what does that change? Tassman only made the point you should not celebrate that past. He never said it should be ignored or erased from history books. You seemed to want to get away from his original point and focus on something else.

By the way the article you point to is more than 25 years old. Perhaps you want to read something that would take recent developments into account:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/a...-white-utopia/
                            You made the comment that not celebrating something is not the same as erasing it from the history books. I showed you that Australia actually erased it from the history books. Or never put it in there. That is what I was referring to in the first place. Try to keep up.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              He's quickly become part of the background noise of TheologyWeb for me, someone who's posts I tend to skip over but who isn't (yet) annoying enough to put on ignore.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                He's quickly become part of the background noise of TheologyWeb for me, someone who's posts I tend to skip over but who isn't (yet) annoying enough to put on ignore.
                                And another one attacking my person instead of going for the actual points I make. It is a little too easy, isn't it?

Comment