Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Escatological derail from North Korea thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escatological derail from North Korea thread

Is it difficult to be a preterist when World War 3 is about to start? #allthebadthingshappenedtotheJews

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
    Is it difficult to be a preterist when World War 3 is about to start?
    Well, you can call me out if big mushroom cloud appears soon, but I don't think it will!! Trump and Kim playing chicken, and most likely someone will chicken out and lose face big time!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Is it difficult to be a preterist when World War 3 is about to start? #allthebadthingshappenedtotheJews
      No more difficult than it has been during any other major calamity that has befallen the world since Jesus' ascension.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why should it be?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Why should it be?
          Because given the previous two world wars and the fact that the third is imminent, the idea that a local Roman occupation of Jerusalem in the 1st century fulfilled many Bible passages referring to the "day of the Lord" as a "time of trouble worse than any since the beginning of the world and not to be seen again" is patently idiotic. I imagine it feels uncomfortable to be an idiot, but maybe not if you're used to it? What do you think?

Comment

Because given the previous two world wars and the fact that the third is imminent, the idea that a local Roman occupation of Jerusalem in the 1st century fulfilled many Bible passages referring to the "day of the Lord" as a "time of trouble worse than any since the beginning of the world and not to be seen again" is patently idiotic. I imagine it feels uncomfortable to be an idiot, but maybe not if you're used to it? What do you think?
            I am inclined to be a Futurist, but you appear to be inclined to be a jerk.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

1. The hyperbole quoted is actually literal.
              2. The flood killed nearly all of humanity so it's impossible for the times of trouble to be worse
              3. Lawgic status: Trapped

1. The flood is not literal
              2. But an apocalyptic book's hyperbolic statement should be taken literally?

1. How is mass slaughter worse than the fall of man? That sounds like a far worse time of trouble given that it damned all of humanity instead of just kill a much smaller number of people.
              2. Lawgic status: Trapped

preterist master race wins again
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                1. The hyperbole quoted is actually literal.
                2. The flood killed nearly all of humanity so it's impossible for the times of trouble to be worse

1. The flood is not literal
                2. But an apocalyptic book's hyperbolic statement should be taken literally?

1. How is mass slaughter worse than the fall of man? That sounds like a far worse time of trouble given that it damned all of humanity instead of just kill a much smaller number of people.
                2. Lawgic status: Trapped

preterist master race wins again
                Drowning is clearly not worse than witnessing catastrophic events on earth alongside disease, plagues, famine, cruelty, demonic entities causing men's hearts to fail them from fear, etc.

Jesus referred to the flood as literal.

After the fall, Adam and Eve basically got told to eat their vegetables. That's not a worse event than the events listed above. If anything, the fall had the potential to lead to what's coming, but when it comes, that will be the actuality. The actuality is greater than the potential.

Don't come at me with this weak sauce again, bruh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I am inclined to be a Futurist, but you appear to be inclined to be a jerk.
                  I'm a jerk to anyone who keeps the truth from people, whether they do so intentionally or with "good intentions."

Comment

Drowning is clearly not worse than witnessing catastrophic events on earth alongside disease, plagues, famine, cruelty, demonic entities causing men's hearts to fail them from fear, etc.

Jesus referred to the flood as literal.

After the fall, Adam and Eve basically got told to eat their vegetables. That's not a worse event than the events listed above. If anything, the fall had the potential to lead to what's coming, but when it comes, that will be the actuality. The actuality is greater than the potential.

Don't come at me with this weak sauce again, bruh.
                    They went from life in paradise to subsistence farming. And mortality. And pain. Not fun.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Doofus View Post
                      I think you're a bigot who doesn't understand the significance of the destruction of the Jerusalem temple in 70AD. Culturally and religiously speaking, it's hard to think of anything more apocalyptic in the eyes of a first century Jew. A world war is peanuts in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I think you're a bigot who doesn't understand the significance of the destruction of the Jerusalem temple in 70AD. Culturally and religiously speaking, it's hard to think of anything more apocalyptic in the eyes of a first century Jew. A world war is peanuts in comparison.
                        Quote the verse in the Bible that says, "interpret everything in the Bible as a 1st century Jew would." After you don't, change my name back to Darfius and put some respect on it.

Comment

And how are we any more special than they were? What would even be the point of a message that wouldn't be fulfilled for millennia?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            And how are we any more special than they were? What would even be the point of a message that wouldn't be fulfilled for millennia?
                            Oh, honey child, a thousand years is as a day to the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Doofus View Post
                              Quote the verse in the Bible that says, "interpret everything in the Bible as a 1st century Jew would." After you don't, change my name back to Darfius and put some respect on it.
                              Quote the verse in the Bible that says, "Interpret everything in the Bible other than how a 1st century Jew would." After you don't, go stick your head in a bucket of water and wash the drool off your chin.

Comment