Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robert E. Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of braindead View Post
    I guess that's why Trumps job approval is in the toilet.
    Brought to you by the same polling firms that said that Trump had virtually zero chance of becoming president.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      My personal beliefs are irrelevant. The point is that if Lee had won the war, which he came very close to doing, then I suspect the modern world would have regarded Lee similar to how the Founding Fathers are seen today: men who had the conviction and strength of character to fight for what they believed in and prevailed over those who opposed them.
      Oh certainly. It would have been the same if Hitler won the war, and he very nearly did. This doesn’t mean he was right any more than Robert E Lee was right. And we don’t erect reverential statues to either of these figures and for good reason. Their values were the antithesis to modern values. The exceptions of course, are the White Supremacist Nazis we saw in Charlottesville, reinvigorated in having a president that supported their cause. Or, more to the point, who needs their vote as his overall base declines.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Oh certainly. It would have been the same if Hitler won the war, and he very nearly did. This doesn’t mean he was right any more than Robert E Lee was right. And we don’t erect reverential statues to either of these figures and for good reason. Their values were the antithesis to modern values. The exceptions of course, are the White Supremacist Nazis we saw in Charlottesville, reinvigorated in having a president that supported their cause. Or, more to the point, who needs their vote as his overall base declines.
        I believe that slavery is always wrong, and was always wrong even though throughout history humans have made it part of culture. I see it as objectively wrong. It is sad to me that you would believe that it is ok if "modern values" were to change someday. Subjective morality carries such a high price tag.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Thats because you ignorants elected a bunch of idiots. No offense.
          From you, none taken. We're too busy chuckling at the irony.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            A low approval rating for Trump doesn't mean the Democrats are inherently popular. Looking at some polls, (for example, this one), the Democrats have lost popularity since the election. It doesn't seem like Trump's unpopularity has done much to translate into actual popularity for the Democrats.
            I think people are getting fed up with government pretty much across the board.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Yes Jim, we know who Peolsi is working for: Wall Street and Bankers: http://www.factcheck.org/2017/02/pel...street-denial/
              What a joke!

Trump's Cabinet is the wealthiest in modern history. And, like Trump, its members come from a business culture that is brash, aggressive and amoral and see business through the prism of trading and deal making. They have very little in common with the blue-collar workers that put Trump into power.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No, she has hornswoggled you into making her one of the richest people in California. She's all about her own power..
                Anybody who can use "hornswoggled" in a sentence deserves respect.

Nevertheless the very qualities you condemn in Pelosi (and Hillary) are the one's exemplified by Trump. With Trump EVERYTHING is about him.
                Last edited by Tassman; 08-20-2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Anybody who can use "hornswoggled" in a sentence deserves respect.

Nevertheless the very qualities you condemn in Pelosi (and Hillary) are the one's exemplified by Trump. With Trump EVERYTHING is about him.
                  You might take that up with somebody who's actually a Trump supporter.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                    Your childishly simplistic black-and-white thinking is precious, but there are no meaningful parallels between Robert E. Lee and Adolf Hitler.

As for the repetition of the lie that President Trump supports white supremacists, that's not even worth dignifying with a response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      You might take that up with somebody who's actually a Trump supporter.
                      Anyone who refuses to roundly condemn Trump is a Trump supporter. Duh.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Your childishly simplistic black-and-white thinking is precious, but there are no meaningful parallels between Robert E. Lee and Adolf Hitler.
                        Nonsense! Both tried to enforce ethnic purity. Honouring people with bad intentions is simply wrong.

As for the repetition of the lie that President Trump supports white supremacists, that's not even worth dignifying with a response.
                        Trump only supports Trump, he has no core beliefs. He panders to the White Supremacists because they support him.

Comment

• So, I have a question regarding all the hubbub about the taking down of the Robert E. Lee statue. After taking down the statue, what was the plan for it? Was it just going to be moved elsewhere, and if so where?

Comment

Trump only ... panders to the White Supremacists because they support him.
                            Refusal to approve the actions of extremist anarchists = approval of fascists/white supremacists ?!?

Trump clearly stated that the actions of both are reprehensible. He has also stated that there are well intentioned people who oppose the removal of the statues, and well intentioned people who support the removal of those statues. He also stated that well intentioned people were being unfairly branded as fascists.

His statements are readily available - there is no excuse for believing what the press claim he said.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              Refusal to approve the actions of extremist anarchists = approval of fascists/white supremacists ?!?

Trump clearly stated that the actions of both are reprehensible. He has also stated that there are well intentioned people who oppose the removal of the statues, and well intentioned people who support the removal of those statues. He also stated that well intentioned people were being unfairly branded as fascists.

His statements are readily available - there is no excuse for believing what the press claim he said.
                              I am sorry but that doesn't fit the left's narrative at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                                So, I have a question regarding all the hubbub about the taking down of the Robert E. Lee statue. After taking down the statue, what was the plan for it? Was it just going to be moved elsewhere, and if so where?
                                You're assuming there was any thought put into it beyond "Tear it down!"

Comment