Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robert E. Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert E. Lee

The left (including a lot of twebbers) want to vilify the entire Confederate states as racists and especially General Robert E. Lee, but they know little of the civil war or of General Lee.

There were a lot of motivations for the Southern states wanting to secede outside of keeping slaves. Many southerners were against slavery too. Including General Lee.

Robert E. Lee letter dated December 27, 1856:

I was much pleased the with President's message. His views of the systematic and progressive efforts of certain people at the North to interfere with and change the domestic institutions of the South are truthfully and faithfully expressed. The consequences of their plans and purposes are also clearly set forth. These people must be aware that their object is both unlawful and foreign to them and to their duty, and that this institution, for which they are irresponsible and non-accountable, can only be changed by them through the agency of a civil and servile war. There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy. This influence, though slow, is sure. The doctrines and miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day. Although the abolitionist must know this, must know that he has neither the right not the power of operating, except by moral means; that to benefit the slave he must not excite angry feelings in the master; that, although he may not approve the mode by which Providence accomplishes its purpose, the results will be the same; and that the reason he gives for interference in matters he has no concern with, holds good for every kind of interference with our neighbor, -still, I fear he will persevere in his evil course. . . . Is it not strange that the descendants of those Pilgrim Fathers who crossed the Atlantic to preserve their own freedom have always proved the most intolerant of the spiritual liberty of others?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The left (including a lot of twebbers) want to vilify the entire Confederate states as racists and especially General Robert E. Lee, but they know little of the civil war or of General Lee.

There were a lot of motivations for the Southern states wanting to secede outside of keeping slaves. Many southerners were against slavery too. Including General Lee.

Robert E. Lee letter dated December 27, 1856:

I was much pleased the with President's message. His views of the systematic and progressive efforts of certain people at the North to interfere with and change the domestic institutions of the South are truthfully and faithfully expressed. The consequences of their plans and purposes are also clearly set forth. These people must be aware that their object is both unlawful and foreign to them and to their duty, and that this institution, for which they are irresponsible and non-accountable, can only be changed by them through the agency of a civil and servile war. There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy. This influence, though slow, is sure. The doctrines and miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day. Although the abolitionist must know this, must know that he has neither the right not the power of operating, except by moral means; that to benefit the slave he must not excite angry feelings in the master; that, although he may not approve the mode by which Providence accomplishes its purpose, the results will be the same; and that the reason he gives for interference in matters he has no concern with, holds good for every kind of interference with our neighbor, -still, I fear he will persevere in his evil course. . . . Is it not strange that the descendants of those Pilgrim Fathers who crossed the Atlantic to preserve their own freedom have always proved the most intolerant of the spiritual liberty of others?
    The letter from a slave holder who wants to continue to own them while absolving himself of guilt. R. E. Lee sold the mothers of his child slaves, so don't try and tell me how well meaning he was.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      The letter from a slave holder who wants to continue to own them while absolving himself of guilt. R. E. Lee sold the mothers of his child slaves, so don't try and tell me how well meaning he was.
      George Washington was a slave owner. As well as most of the early Presidents. In fact Lee's wife was a Custis, an adoptive decendant of Washington, and they inherited their slaves FROM Washington's Mount Vernon estate.
      Last edited by Sparko; 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

From Lee's slave, Mack Lee:

"I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world. There was never one born of a woman greater than Gen. Robert E. Lee, according to my judgment. All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."

History of the Life of Rev. Wm. Mack Lee, Body Servant of General Robert E. Lee, Through the Civil War, Cook from 1861 to 1865: Still Living Under the Protection of the Southern States
        https://books.google.com/books?id=7_...87DkwQ6AEIKDAA

Comment

George Washington was a slave owner. As well as most of the early Presidents. In fact Lee's wife was a Custis, an adoptive decendant of Washington, and they inherited their slaves FROM Washington's Mount Vernon estate.
          And Don't think this won't happen:

Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...-slave-owners/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            And Don't think this won't happen:

Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...-slave-owners/
            Washington and Jefferson came to understand that slavery was immoral and condemned it as such, and they also worked to bring the practice to an end, Washington endorsing the Fairfax resolves way back in 1774 and Jefferson signing the 1807 slave trade act. A quote from Washington "It being among my first wishes to see some plan adopted by which slavery in this country may be ended."What they didn't do was to go to war with their own country in order to maintain the owning of slaves as a right.

Comment

Washington and Jefferson came to understand that slavery was immoral and condemned it as such, and they also worked to bring the practice to an end, Washington endorsing the Fairfax resolves way back in 1774 and Jefferson signing the 1807 slave trade act. A quote from Washington "It being among my first wishes to see some plan adopted by which slavery in this country may be ended."What they didn't do was to go to war with their own country in order to maintain the owning of slaves as a right.
              Robert E. Lee came to understand that slavery was immoral and condemned it as such (see the letter in the OP) - as his own former slave Reverend Mack Lee attested: "All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."

Comment

But Jim, that is not stopping the left from trying to remove them from public parks and monuments. And they won't be happy until they do.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Robert E. Lee came to understand that slavery was immoral and condemned it as such (see the letter in the OP) - as his own former slave Reverend Mack Lee attested: "All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."
                  Malarky! R. E. Lee fought in court to keep his slaves under his bondage "indefinitely," even though they had been promised their freedom in his father in laws will.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    But Jim, that is not stopping the left from trying to remove them from public parks and monuments. And they won't be happy until they do.
                    I don't think so seer, the founding fathers were born in a time when slavery wasn't so much in question, they began to question it, they began the fight to end it, but the leaders of the confederacy fought a war against their own country in order to continue the practice, a war that cost the lives of 620,000 americans, and R.E. Lee resigned from the U.S. Army in order to lead that insurrection.
                    Last edited by JimL; 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Malarky! R. E. Lee fought in court to keep his slaves under his bondage "indefinitely," even though they had been promised their freedom in his father in laws will.
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The views of people never, ever, change over their lifetime.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Are you saying his own former slave didn't know the man? He said he had freed his slaves 10 years before the war even began, and yet they stayed on because they wanted to. If Washington could change why not General Lee?

Comment

Robert E. Lee was a strong Christian. The servants remained because they loved him.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't think.
                            Fixed
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't think so seer, the founding fathers were born in a time when slavery wasn't so much in question, they began to question it, they began the fight to end it, but the leaders of the confederacy fought a war against their own country in order to continue the practice, a war that cost the lives of 620,000 americans, and R.E. Lee resigned from the U.S. Army in order to lead that insurrection.
                              You don't think what Jim - of course they will go after Jefferson and Washington - they already are, like in my link.

And here is another one:

Thomas Jefferson statue incites debate at Mizzou: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...021-story.html

Comment