Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

This is what fascism looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    There's demonstrably nothing wrong with minutely limiting free speech (the US has done this since its founding) for the good of society. Stopping neonazis from rallying is at the very least just as much a public good as stopping panic when someone yells fire in a crowded theater. The people who sat around while the Nazis built their engine aren't remembered particularly fondly, while the people who were called to action are remembered as heroes. It sounds like you are condemning fascist resistance.
    You can yell fire in a crowded theater if there is a fire. The saying come from speech that is false and causes direct harm. So if someone is speaking at a rally and inciting violence or "killing the jews" then that speech is not protected. But if they want to be racists and say the races should be kept separate or that blacks are better than whites or vice versa, then they can do that. Saying, "kill all blacks" is not allowed. Neither is, "Let's attack the white nationalists and destroy confederate statues!"

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      There have been some major SCOTUS cases revolving around what speech the government can deem obscene and therefore illegal. Jacobellis v. Ohio, Roth v. United States, Miller v. California... First, these speakers are not explicitly calling for people's death. However, they are advocating policy that will result in death, specifically anti-poor and anti-black policy. Second, it's not fair to accuse people of something that you imagine might happen in the far future.
      Psychic, political speech is completely protected, even Nazi speech is protected, even if you think the policies they advocate are harmful. It is not up to you or Antifa to decide.

All sides outside of anarchists prevent freedom of speech in some way.
      No they don't. Conservatives are not shutting down venues to prevent people from speaking.

The US has been experiencing stagnating wages for decades while the wealthy continue to get wealthier. An plutocracy cannot simultaneously be a meritocracy.
      Nonsense, the US is still one of the top nations in the world for economic mobility - that is a fact, we used to be first, back when according to people like you, we were more unfair.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You can yell fire in a crowded theater if there is a fire. The saying come from speech that is false and causes direct harm. So if someone is speaking at a rally and inciting violence or "killing the jews" then that speech is not protected. But if they want to be racists and say the races should be kept separate or that blacks are better than whites or vice versa, then they can do that. Saying, "kill all blacks" is not allowed. Neither is, "Let's attack the white nationalists and destroy confederate statues!"
        And to be sure, there certainly is racism from the left here (from Seattle):

C-NlyhOXcAIgLPm.jpg

00000000000000ar.jpeg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Food for thought: If you are against the First Amendment then you don't have a right to protest either.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Food for thought: If you are against the First Amendment then you don't have a right to protest either.
            Liberals have never been particularly bothered by cognitive dissonance.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And to be sure, there certainly is racism from the left here (from Seattle):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23764[/ATTACH]
              wait. what? Whites can't date whites?

Comment

I don't think they get the irony.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Good, so you won't use the fascist tactics that much of the left is using...
                  Nope, I don't agree that violence is a solution on either side. Some people disagree, and in the face of the rise of the white supremacists on the right I can understand the aggressive tactics believed by some on the left to be necessary, but I think that at this time we need only fight right wing hate speech with tolerance and speech. But there is a time when violence may become necessary, I just don't think we are there yet, hope people will wake up and we never get to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    If antifa, (anti-fascist) can protest Trump supporters and conservatives who they label fascist we can turn it on them - especially since they are the ones attempting to prevent speech. I'm not giving them the rhetorical high ground.
                    Whose stopping you from protesting?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      So are you saying that the neonazi's inciting violence with their hate speech against Jews should have been arrested?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        No Jim, people are being preventing from speaking.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Nope, I don't agree that violence is a solution on either side. Some people disagree, and in the face of the rise of the white supremacists on the right I can understand the aggressive tactics believed by some on the left to be necessary, but I think that at this time we need only fight right wing hate speech with tolerance and speech. But there is a time when violence may become necessary, I just don't think we are there yet, hope people will wake up and we never get to that point.
                          Jim there is no evidence that there is a rise in white supremacists, it is the same handful of idiots that have been around for ages.

Comment

Violence is never the answer unless the Constitution is completely overturned.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              Well, you see, Jimmy, productive members of society have this thing called a job...
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So are you saying that the neonazi's inciting violence with their hate speech against Jews should have been arrested?
                                if they were advocating violence against jews or anyone else they should be arrested. But were they? They were there to protest the taking down of the statues and the KKK has a lot of experience with public marches and know how to be racist but stay within the law.

But I think those there who came with weapons and other gear ready to fight and did fight should be arrested. same with the antifa

Jim, I am not on the side of the white nationlists or the antifa/blm thugs.

I am on the side of the constitution. Free Speech without recrimination for everyone. No violence by anyone. even those I don't agree with. ESPECIALLY those I don't agree with.

Comment