Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

At Least 13 Dead In Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least 13 Dead In Spain

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas district, injuring several people as it plowed into a summer crowd of tourists and residents, police said. The El Pais newspaper said police were treating the crash as a terror attack.

Quoting unnamed police sources, El Pais said the two perpetrators of the crash were holed up in a bar in Tallers Street. There was no immediate police confirmation of the report.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barcelona...153049916.html
    Last edited by seer; 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

so I wonder if the liberals will condemn the terrorist's whole group (most likely muslim) or just blame the individuals who did this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so I wonder if the liberals will condemn the terrorist's whole group (most likely muslim) or just blame the individuals who did this?
      He must be an Alt-Right Muslim...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In Spain it could also be Basque separatists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          In Spain it could also be Basque separatists.
          It looks like one of the suspects has been arrested and Europa Press is reporting that police are looking for a man named Driss Oukabir -- although it isn't clear if that is the man who has been arrested.

0000000000000jlhh.jpg
          Driss Oukabir

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I certainly don't. Those marching in Charlottesville represent a dark underbelly of racism in the US, but its definitely not every conservative out there marching. Though I do wonder just how widespread the problem actually is.

As for this terrorist strike its a tragedy. I wonder if events like these will be used in twenty years to justify making cars fully-autonomous by law and removing the steering wheels, making sure that the firmwares can't be flashed, and stuff like that.

Comment

It looks like radical Islamic terrorism. Driss Oukabir, who rented the van used to kill 13, is a Moroccan although one source is claiming he was born in Marseille, France.

Wolf Blitzer of CNN is wondering if it is a "copycat" of what happened in Charlottesville apparently ignorant of how often vehicles have been used in Europe (Paris, London, Stockholm, Berlin and most notably in Nice, France where 87 were killed) to mow down pedestrians in just the last year or so.

Nobody has ever lost money underestimating Blitzer's idiocy.

Comment

It looks like radical Islamic terrorism. Driss Oukabir, who rented the van used to kill 13, is a Moroccan although one source is claiming he was born in Marseille, France.

Wolf Blitzer of CNN is wondering if it is a "copycat" of what happened in Charlottesville apparently ignorant of how often vehicles have been used in Europe (Paris, London, Stockholm, Berlin and most notably in Nice, France where 87 were killed) to mow down pedestrians in just the last year or so.

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  ...making sure that the firmwares can't be flashed...
                  which would prevent one from being able to patch any faults, so wouldn't work.

There is always a way to hack it, especially if there is a way to update it.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    which would prevent one from being able to patch any faults, so wouldn't work.

There is always a way to hack it, especially if there is a way to update it.
                    Good point.

Depends on how its built as a system, but in general if you get hardware level access you can modify things. I know Tesla is having some security concerns about their cars, not wanting some hacker to gain fleet-wide access and sending all the tesla cars in the US to Vancouver.

For one thing they've separated the systems fairly strongly. An outside hacker gaining access to the dashboard computer, wouldn't have access to the computer controlling auto-nav, or the one controlling the drive-train and braking.

But of course, a terrorist who bought a tesla, and had access to the computer itself would have a far easier time. He could just overwrite whatever was on the computer with a new system.

Still, I wonder if events like this, along with autonomous vehicles eventually proving themselves safer would cause a radical shift in law regarding people being able to steer cars.

Comment

Good point.

Depends on how its built as a system, but in general if you get hardware level access you can modify things. I know Tesla is having some security concerns about their cars, not wanting some hacker to gain fleet-wide access and sending all the tesla cars in the US to Vancouver.

For one thing they've separated the systems fairly strongly. An outside hacker gaining access to the dashboard computer, wouldn't have access to the computer controlling auto-nav, or the one controlling the drive-train and braking.

But of course, a terrorist who bought a tesla, and had access to the computer itself would have a far easier time. He could just overwrite whatever was on the computer with a new system.

Still, I wonder if events like this, along with autonomous vehicles eventually proving themselves safer would cause a radical shift in law regarding people being able to steer cars.
                      When I think of self-driving cars, it seems doable, but impractical (like flying cars, only not quite that impractical).

And then I think that I'm so used to driving when I'm in a car that sitting in a car while it drives me around would feel super weird.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist
                        When I think of self-driving cars, it seems doable, but impractical (like flying cars, only not quite that impractical).
                        Impractical as in hard to do? Its a solved problem. Fully autonomous cars that could drive you home while you sleep will be out in a year or two, four tops.

Comment

Impractical as in hard to do? Its a solved problem. Fully autonomous cars that could drive you home while you sleep will be out in a year or two, four tops.
                          Maybe I'm just not up to date on it. It seems like there are still unsolved software-related problems. For example, a couple days ago I got an IEEE Spectrum magazine that had an article about how autonomous cars would deal with people standing on a street corner, who may or may not be about to cross the street. (The idea was that a human driver could tell at a glance, generally, if two people on a street corner are going to stay there and talk, or if one of them would be about to try to cross, in front of the car.)

Just seems like an enormous number of potential variables to me. As someone who's done a little bit of computer programming, the idea of programming an autonomous car--with all of the weird liability issues associated with it--would scare the crap out of me.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

but I think somewhat impractical until all cars are capable of doing it (or atleast 90%) as we do have a number of idiots who still think driving drunk is cool.

It will take 10-20 years for the tech to be in the top of the range cars, go down to the bottom of the range cars and finally filter through the second and third hand car markets.

(I think the tech is definitely coming, but until it's permeated the second and third hand car market, it's difficult to make laws against it....which is why the UK law for no more petrol/diesel cars by circa 2040 makes sense as it allows the new tech to work its way through the markets)
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment