Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Americans want Confederate statues to remain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

madstatues.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
      I kid you not.
      We have just had some woman on our news tonight arguing that the statue of Nelson must be removed from his column in Trafalgar Square and the statues of Churchill and Cromwell must also be removed.
      What did the Bolsheviks say after their revolution - history starts now! Welcome to the jungle...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        No dumbass. The Egyptian pyramids are honoring the Pharaohs who are buried there. The statues and such are honoring them. The same people who enslaved others and made the very laws that allowed slavery. For thousands of years.
        Actually, the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by free workers.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/w...-pyramids-html

But this is secondary to the point at hand. The Confederate memorials are a legacy of the racist Jim Crow era; their whole purpose is to celebrate white supremacy. It’s hardly a coincidence that the White Supremacist KKK fascists have chosen their retention as their cause célčbre...along with their racist supporters like you. The whole, pathetic slippery-slope argument you lot are making...such as removing Nelson from his column or destroying the Coliseum...does NOT equate to the removal of monuments reinforcing racist sentiments in modern-day America.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Actually, the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by free workers.
          I never said they were built by slaves. I said the Egyptians had slaves and slavery and the Pharoahs who allowed it were being honored by the Pyramids and statues. Not their "engineering skills"

But this is secondary to the point at hand. The Confederate memorials are a legacy of the racist Jim Crow era; their whole purpose is to celebrate white supremacy. It’s hardly a coincidence that the White Supremacist KKK fascists have chosen their retention as their cause célčbre...along with their racist supporters like you. The whole, pathetic slippery-slope argument you lot are making...such as removing Nelson from his column or destroying the Coliseum...does NOT equate to the removal of monuments reinforcing racist sentiments in modern-day America.
          It is the same thing. The liberal twits like you want to remove any reminders of the Confederate states because they supported slavery. Well guess what? So did Ancient Egypt and Rome.

Comment

I never said they were built by slaves. I said the Egyptians had slaves and slavery and the Pharoahs who allowed it were being honored by the Pyramids and statues. Not their "engineering skills"

It is the same thing. The liberal twits like you want to remove any reminders of the Confederate states because they supported slavery. Well guess what? So did Ancient Egypt and Rome.
            And the ancient Greeks as well

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Seems unlikely to me that Robert E Lee, at least, was not a white supremacist. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...ert_e_lee.html
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                Seems unlikely to me that Robert E Lee, at least, was not a white supremacist. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...ert_e_lee.html
                There was no such thing as a "white supremacist" back then. That is something of the modern era. Back then it was just the way things were, that whites thought they were a superior race. Even the North who didn't want slavery still thought that way. It was wrong, but that is just the way the world was back then.

But as I showed in my Robert E. Lee thread, Lee freed his slaves 10 years before the war and changed his mind about slavery and thought it was evil. He was not fighting for slavery, he was fighting for his state.

Comment

There was no such thing as a "white supremacist" back then. That is something of the modern era. Back then it was just the way things were, that whites thought they were a superior race. Even the North who didn't want slavery still thought that way. It was wrong, but that is just the way the world was back then.

But as I showed in my Robert E. Lee thread, Lee freed his slaves 10 years before the war and changed his mind about slavery and thought it was evil. He was not fighting for slavery, he was fighting for his state.
                  That seems to be the picture.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And Lee's state of Virginia was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery, so Lee was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery. Besides, not all of Virginia was of the same mind, the western counties sided with the north and became a state in their own right.

Comment

Seems unlikely to me that Robert E Lee, at least, was not a white supremacist.
                      Not sure how I came to do that.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        Not sure how I came to do that.
                        yeah I wasn't quite sure how to read that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          And Lee's state of Virginia was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery, so Lee was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery.
                          This totally ignores the fact that many people in the USA up until that point (including many in the North) had stronger ties to State than Union, and if push came to shove would fight for the former against the latter regardless of other factors.
                          Besides, not all of Virginia was of the same mind, the western counties sided with the north and became a state in their own right.
                          Which point is entirely irrelevant because 1) it happened after two years or so of fighting, 2) Lee wasn't from that area of the state, and most importantly 3) as a staunchly loyal Virginian he would have been horrified at the thought of seceding from it.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            This totally ignores the fact that many people in the USA up until that point (including many in the North) had stronger ties to State than Union, and if push came to shove would fight for the former against the latter regardless of other factors.
                            And prior to the Civil War the United States was spoken in the plural sense, as in "the United States are" rather than "the United States is," which signified how the country was viewed -- a cooperative coalition or federation of sovereign states. This plural or collective sense can be seen in the Constitution. But all that change dramatically after the Civil War

00000000000000pus.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And prior to the Civil War the United States was spoken in the plural sense, as in "the United States are" rather than "the United States is," which signified how the country was viewed -- a cooperative coalition or federation of sovereign states. This plural or collective sense can be seen in the Constitution. But all that change dramatically after the Civil War

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23814[/ATTACH]
                              How exactly did someone come up with those figures?

Comment

It’s not about history per se. It’s about the likes of the White Supremacist KKK fascists, who see Confederate monuments as a justification for their supremacist views.

The “Unite The Right” rally...drew white nationalists from all over the country to the city. Since April 2017, when the Charlottesville City Council first voted to remove a bronze equestrian Robert E. Lee sculpture, the city has been the site of alt-right protests and a Ku Klux Klan rally.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/robert...-nationalists/
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment