Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free will defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free will defense?

I often hear people say that evil is in the world because God had to allow free will. "Love must be free" is another way to state this, this is the "free will defense" to the problem of evil, yet love in heaven will be free, without the possibility of sinning. God's love is free, even though he cannot sin (see Heb. 6:18).

And "We love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:19). Not because we chose to!

I believe that only believers are free (John 8:34,36), free will thus does not explain the problem of evil.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Insofar as the problem of evil can be explained - "free will" is a good jump off point.
    "Would evil be loose in the world if everyone whole-heartedly accepted Christ?" Given the scriptural declarations - the answer is seemingly "No."
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      I often hear people say that evil is in the world because God had to allow free will. "Love must be free" is another way to state this, this is the "free will defense" to the problem of evil, yet love in heaven will be free, without the possibility of sinning. God's love is free, even though he cannot sin (see Heb. 6:18).

I believe that only believers are free (John 8:34,36), free will thus does not explain the problem of evil.

Blessings,
      Lee
      I wondered the same thing, "Why can't we sin in heaven if we have free will? Sin is still possible in heaven right? After all Satan and some of the Angels sinned and rebelled in heaven."

I think:

1. That is one of the reasons we have to experience sin now, so we will see it's awful effect, so we won't want to sin in heaven. Like an alcoholic who sees how alcohol has ruined his life.
      2. Perhaps we will willingly give up our free will to sin. That is part of submitting ourselves to God. We don't want to sin, do we? So we can willingly give up that ability.

Comment

The Genesis story tells us that the knowledge of good and evil was God's (Genesis 3:22). The argument the Serpent made was, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:5.)

God is infinite good. God made man good. But man was and is only finite good. Evil is contingent on there being [finite] good. Good does not need evil to be good. In analogy, sugar is good. Cyanide is a poison, as such is an evil. A little cyanide will render good sugar as evil poison. So the knowledge of evil in man is what renders man sinful.

Man had a free will as such before the fall. God made man good.
        Last edited by 37818; 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          "Would evil be loose in the world if everyone whole-heartedly accepted Christ?" Given the scriptural declarations - the answer is seemingly "No."
          Yet "we all stumble in many ways" (James 3:2).

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Perhaps we will willingly give up our free will to sin. That is part of submitting ourselves to God. We don't want to sin, do we? So we can willingly give up that ability.
          Good point, and we may note that God never had that ability, yet his love for us, and within the Trinity, has always been free.

Originally posted by 37818
          Evil is contingent on there being [finite] good. Good does not need evil to be good.
          Yes, agreed.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Blessings,
            Lee
            If God cannot sin, He cannot be moral. If there is no sin in heaven, the beings who live there are not us.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              If God cannot sin, He cannot be moral. If there is no sin in heaven, the beings who live there are not us.
              That doesn't even make sense. If you can't do evil you can't be good?

Comment

Did you write this before your morning bong?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That doesn't even make sense. If you can't do evil you can't be good?
                  Being moral implies being able to distinguish right from wrong, which means that you have to know all about ‘wrong’. Also if you are not tempted by the ‘wrong’ things you do not deserve credit for doing good. It seems that way to me at least.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Being moral implies being able to distinguish right from wrong, which means that you have to know all about ‘wrong’. Also if you are not tempted by the ‘wrong’ things you do not deserve credit for doing good. It seems that way to me at least.
                    God knows right from wrong. Knowing that doesn't mean you have to be able to do wrong.

Comment

God knows right from wrong. Knowing that doesn't mean you have to be able to do wrong.
                      If a thing has agency and knows 'wrong' then it must be able to do wrong if it chose so to do. Otherwise it is an automaton.

A machine that only continually adds one and so counts successive numbers does not understand arithmetic.

Comment

I often hear people say that evil is in the world because God had to allow free will. "Love must be free" is another way to state this, this is the "free will defense" to the problem of evil, yet love in heaven will be free, without the possibility of sinning.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Hi Lee!

Could you please give a scriptural reference for the bold underlined above? I mean, I see why we might think that but...is it scriptural? The demons were once angels in heaven and they sinned...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Yet "we all stumble in many ways" (James 3:2).
                          Ah - the risks of taking a phrase out of context:

1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more severely than others.2
                          2 For all of us make many mistakes**. If someone does not make any mistakes** when he speaks, he is perfect* and able to control his whole body.

*[TDNT] τέλειος [complete, perfect] This adjective means “whole,” “unblemished,” “full,” “perfect,” “actualized,” “efficacious,” “mature,” “supreme,” and perhaps “dedicated.”
                          ** πταιομεν, πταιει [TDNT] πταίω [to stumble, slip, sin]
                          Last edited by tabibito; 08-22-2017, 02:48 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

If a thing has agency and knows 'wrong' then it must be able to do wrong if it chose so to do. Otherwise it is an automaton.

A machine that only continually adds one and so counts successive numbers does not understand arithmetic.
                            I know what flying is but I am unable to fly. I guess I am an automation.

Besides, if sin is rebelling against God, how can God logically rebel against himself?

Comment

I know what flying is but I am unable to fly. I guess I am an automation.

Besides, if sin is rebelling against God, how can God logically rebel against himself?
                              Think of agency has having degrees of freedom. Your agency does not extend to the ability to fly therefore in every situation where you are presented with the ‘choice’ of fly/not fly you will not fly. In that sense you are as predictable as a clock because you lack agency with regard to flight.

Sin is not the same as rebellion. All dictators tend to punish rebellion. We have a moral duty to oppose dictatorship. It follows that rebellion against God is a moral duty.

Comment