Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free will defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I disagree, the nature of human will is universal, whether free or not. The nature of our will is Created by God and is common to all humans.
    Yes, but sinning brings the will into bondage, "the one who sins is a slave to sin", said Jesus (John 8:34).

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Yet the point remains, that Jesus did not say "you are not my sheep because you do not believe."
      This is what I warned about earlier, about taking partial sentences, phrases, and even individual words out of context and "missing the forest because of the trees", as the saying goes. The context in this case is rather critical because Jesus goes on to say a few verses later, "If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."

It's a very bad habit to stop reading as soon as you encounter something that appears to support your view.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Originally posted by lee_merrill
        Yet the point remains, that Jesus did not say "you are not my sheep because you do not believe."
        This is what I warned about earlier, about taking partial sentences, phrases, and even individual words out of context and "missing the forest because of the trees", as the saying goes. The context in this case is rather critical because Jesus goes on to say a few verses later, "If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
        You have a good point here, so how do we reconcile these two verses? You can't skip over my point here, you know, and neither can I skip over your verse. I would say that Jesus' command to believe can bring about faith! He is the author of our faith (Heb. 12:2), our faith has a cause to it, because we are his sheep, we believe.

The Molinist / Arminian views put faith as the first cause in the chain of salvation, but Scripture does not support this.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

You have a good point here, so how do we reconcile these two verses? You can't skip over my point here, you know, and neither can I skip over your verse. I would say that Jesus' command to believe can bring about faith! He is the author of our faith (Heb. 12:2), our faith has a cause to it, because we are his sheep, we believe.

The Molinist / Arminian views put faith as the first cause in the chain of salvation, but Scripture does not support this.
          I don't see a conflict that needs to be reconciled. It's not either/or, it's both. The Pharisees did not believe Jesus' words because they were not his sheep, but they could have believed based on the signs and wonders He performed. I think based on this we can conclude that there is more than one intellectual path to salvation.

And if you understand what faith is according to the Bible, it is inextricably linked to salvation, so one can not precede the other.

Comment

I don't see a conflict that needs to be reconciled. It's not either/or, it's both. The Pharisees did not believe Jesus' words because they were not his sheep, but they could have believed based on the signs and wonders He performed. I think based on this we can conclude that there is more than one intellectual path to salvation.

And if you understand what faith is according to the Bible, it is inextricably linked to salvation, so one can not precede the other.
            No. There is only one way of salvation. God's way not man's. (John 17:3; John 1:3.)
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              No. There is only one way of salvation. God's way not man's. (John 17:3; John 1:3.)
              I never said or implied otherwise.

Comment

To clarify, there are multiple paths to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus. At least two are shown in the gospels: 1) Believing Jesus' testimony about himself; 2) Believing based on the works he performed. The Pharisees were invited through the latter.

Comment

To clarify, there are multiple paths to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus. At least two are shown in the gospels: 1) Believing Jesus' testimony about himself; 2) Believing based on the works he performed. The Pharisees were invited through the latter.
                  Please elaborate for those two. How they both lead to the one same way.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Please elaborate for those two. How they both lead to the one same way.
                    They both lead to/through Jesus.

Comment

The Pharisees did not believe Jesus' words because they were not his sheep, but they could have believed based on the signs and wonders He performed.
                      Yes, so faith has a cause.

Unless Scripture shows a cause of faith? Then we must take the counsel of Scripture:

"A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." Ac 16:14.

Jesus is the Author of our faith...

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Jesus is the Author of our faith...
                        Nothing I've said has contradicted that.

Comment

They both lead to/through Jesus.
                          That was not an elaboration has to how believing Jesus' works and what sayings of Jesus of Himself you meant.
                          Last edited by 37818; 08-28-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

That was not an elaboration has to how believing Jesus' works and what sayings of Jesus of Himself you meant.
                            I'm not sure what you're asking. Jesus said to believe his testimony about himself, or believe the works he performed, two intellectual paths that lead to the same destination.

Comment

Is there any way for me to know what God's way is except for some man to tell me?

Comment

Yes, but sinning brings the will into bondage, "the one who sins is a slave to sin", said Jesus (John 8:34).

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                . . . and all humans sin.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment