Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Missouri execution scheduled despite DNA test suggesting innocence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri execution scheduled despite DNA test suggesting innocence

Missouri is scheduled to execute Marcellus Williams tomorrow despite the fact that there was never forensic evidence against him and that a recent DNA test suggested he may well be innocent.

This is my main issue with the death penalty in the US - there appears to be little interest in the question of whether the person is actually guilty in the rush to get the executions off. (There was also the execution of Cameron Willingham in Texas despite the fact that there was strong circumstantial evidence that the fire in the case was accidental; Rick Perry simply did not seem to care.) Williams fought for a DNA test for a long time and was denied one; now that he has received one, the courts have ruled that it is too late.

I do not see why the state cannot at least issue a 30 day state to discuss this issue.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...g-dna-evidence
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

The death penalty is appropriate only in cases where there is no real question. Just because a jury agreed to convict is not adequate. I am not at all familiar with this case so my comments are purely general in nature.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

This is where the governor should step in. I also am not familiar with the case but if there is any evidence suggesting he is innocent, it deserves a stay and an investigation. It's not like giving him a few more weeks is going to waste taxpayers money. Guys on death row usually sit there for a decade or more before they execute them. A few more weeks is not going to hurt.

I used to be for the death penalty, but I think that unless they are absolutely sure (like catching the guy in the act or he admits it) then he should get life in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I used to be for the death penalty, but I think that unless they are absolutely sure (like catching the guy in the act or he admits it) then he should get life in prison.
        In that case, pretty much no one would ever admit it. Admission of guilt usually lessens the sentence, not make it more severe.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          In that case, pretty much no one would ever admit it. Admission of guilt usually lessens the sentence, not make it more severe.
          I was just throwing out an example of being absolutely sure.

Comment

I don't believe death penalties are wrong in and of themselves, but they're dangerous in how they're applied (like in this case) and we can simple use life imprisonment instead. For practical reasons like this I agree with St Pope John Paul II that we should avoid death penalties for prudential reasons.

Comment

It looks like a temporary stay has been granted.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...y-of-execution
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I don't believe death penalties are wrong in and of themselves, but they're dangerous in how they're applied (like in this case) and we can simple use life imprisonment instead. For practical reasons like this I agree with St Pope John Paul II that we should avoid death penalties for prudential reasons.
                I don't think that prisoners, especially murderers should have it nice while serving life in prison and I don't believe that serial killers or the ilk should ever be eligible for parole. Life should be actual life. They don't get out the rest of their life.

Comment

I don't think that prisoners, especially murderers should have it nice while serving life in prison and I don't believe that serial killers or the ilk should ever be eligible for parole. Life should be actual life. They don't get out the rest of their life.
                  There's a lot of points here, a lot of mixed feelings and a few disagreements. But we can definitely agree that serial killers, or anyone who planned and executed a murder, should spend the rest of their lives in prisons.

Comment

This looks like a rather complicated case. From the original story:

Source: Riverfront Times

Although the case against against Williams lacked forensic evidence, the testimony of Williams' girlfriend and a former cellmate were enough to convince a jury of his guilt. Williams was convicted in 2001 and sentenced to death.

However, Williams' lawyers argue that the witnesses were actually angling for the $10,000 reward offered by Gayle's family in return for information leading to the murderer.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...g-dna-evidence

© Copyright Original Source

First of all, I don't believe forensic evidence is necessary to convict someone of a crime. Contrary to what shows like CSI would have you believe, forensics is not an exact science and is not always conclusive.

Secondly, if the defense wants to claim that the witnesses had ulterior motives then it's their burden to prove it. Not knowing anything about the case, it's possible that they tried, but it obviously wasn't enough to convince the jury.

DNA evidence could introduce reasonable doubt, but, again, it depends on a lot of factors.

Like I said, this case seems rather complicated.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      There's a lot of points here, a lot of mixed feelings and a few disagreements. But we can definitely agree that serial killers, or anyone who planned and executed a murder, should spend the rest of their lives in prisons.
                      I was thinking of Norway and Breivek who murdered 77 people and only got 21 years and is sitting in a nice apartment-like jail, and going to college, while complaining his living conditions are violating his human rights.

Typical cell in his prison:

_88783872_cell_getty.jpg

Comment

I was thinking of Norway and Breivek who murdered 77 people and only got 21 years and is sitting in a nice apartment-like jail, and going to college, while complaining his living conditions are violating his human rights.

Typical cell in his prison:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23790[/ATTACH]
                        Solitude causes brain damage. In breivik's case he's also submitted to regular strip searches (IE: sexually molested by the state). If the state is gonna torture people as part of their prison sentence I want that sentence decided by a judge/jury, not wink winks from prison staff.

Also, his 21 year sentence is renewable if authorities don't think he's been rehabilitated.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Solitude causes brain damage.
                          Well that explains most of the internet.

Comment

One gap in the legal system is that "factual innocence is not a bar to execution, " as observed by U.S. Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist. (I copied the quote from http://www.veldlaw.com/Press.html)

Only evidence not available at the time of trial can 'normally' be used as grounds for appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              First of all, I don't believe forensic evidence is necessary to convict someone of a crime. Contrary to what shows like CSI would have you believe, forensics is not an exact science and is not always conclusive.
                              Yes, I was also a bit bothered of the mention of "although the case lacked forensic evidence" as if a lack of forensic evidence somehow means someone isn't guilty.

DNA evidence could introduce reasonable doubt, but, again, it depends on a lot of factors.

Like I said, this case seems rather complicated.
                              Well, it seeming complicated is exactly the reason why there should be a stay: If there is new evidence that could potentially change things, it should be considered rather than rushing to an execution. If it's not enough, well, then they can go ahead with it.

Comment