Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fear of On-Line Mobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of On-Line Mobs

(Link to long and very good article here: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...he-online-mobs)

This paragraph in the article most resonates with me: "The people I have these conversations with are terrified that something they say will inadvertently offend the self-appointed powers-that-be. They’re afraid that their email will be hacked, and stray snippets will make them the next one in the internet stocks. They’re worried that some opinion they hold now will unexpectedly be declared anathema, forcing them to issue a humiliating public recantation, or risk losing their friends and their livelihood."

This is my fear of on-line posting. I confess I've avoiding certain threads or didn't state my full position because of this. I don't know. I'm probably a coward. Just looks to me that one effect of the Internet and Social Media is the replacement of Free Speech with Group Think.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I'm probably a coward.
    Agree!!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

It's not the on-line mob that causes me to use a pseudonym, but the lone nutters who might stalk me down for not taking their ravings seriously. I'm also low enough on the totem pole at work that I'm probably not worth going after. My firm is extremely diversity-conscious.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

This is one of the reasons we allow anonymity on tweb. We don't know who you are, where you live or anything else about you or anyone else, unless you tell people. We even have a rule against revealing private information about any members without their permission. We also cannot see anyone's private messages.

I also keep my social media locked down pretty tight.

Yes, there are nuts out there who want to cause others harm. The Antifa and SJWs, and other radicals are known for Doxing. Basically exposing private information about people for malicious intent. It is always best to keep your private information private online.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          It's not the on-line mob that causes me to use a pseudonym, but the lone nutters who might stalk me down for not taking their ravings seriously. I'm also low enough on the totem pole at work that I'm probably not worth going after. My firm is extremely diversity-conscious.
          I get your point about the lone nutter. While my firm isn't extremely diversity-conscious, I'm probably high enough on the totem pole to go after.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

At this point I don't think the totem pole matters. People who were in the white nationalist march were having their employers contacted about their participation, even if they were something like a fry cook.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Don't post anything on the Internet (or send it in an e-mail) if you wouldn't be okay with it being on the front page of the newspaper, your boss's desk, or the desk of a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                Don't post anything on the Internet (or send it in an e-mail) if you wouldn't be okay with it being on the front page of the newspaper, your boss's desk, or the desk of a police officer.
                Good advice and I try to always follow it. However I think its getting out of date as society changes.

For example, I could post that I support the pro-life position and my employer could get deluged with emails accusing me of being sexist and violent towards women. At that point, I would be ousted and have no recourse in NY labor law.

What is your defense if the Internet turns on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  What is your defense if the Internet turns on you?
                  I'd argue that, since my firm was founded by people who others refused to employ, it would be hardly fair for them to boot me for holding unpopular views.

And I know lots of people who have liked my work who moved on to other places who would either find a place for me with them or represent me pro bono.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    At this point I don't think the totem pole matters. People who were in the white nationalist march were having their employers contacted about their participation, even if they were something like a fry cook.
                    Now think what would happen if Trump lost. Progs would use march as excuse to take down other people on right, who are not related to march!
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Liberalism:

We believe in Diversity, as long as everyone is just like us.
                      We believe in Inclusiveness, as long as you believe what we do.
                      We believe in Free Speech, as long as you don't say anything we disagree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Liberalism:

We believe in Diversity, as long as everyone is just like us.
                        We believe in Inclusiveness, as long as you believe what we do.
                        We believe in Free Speech, as long as you don't say anything we disagree with.
                        It's just this kind of bigoted, extremist right-wing talk that any Reasonable Person would agree should be banned.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          It's just this kind of bigoted, extremist right-wing talk that any Reasonable Person would agree should be banned.
                          speaking of banning...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            speaking of banning...
                            Speaking of banning should only be allowed if it's to ban hateful right-wing rhetoric.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Speaking of banning should only be allowed if it's to ban hateful right-wing rhetoric.
                              I have reported you to the SS. Mossy should be along any moment with The Pin™

Comment