Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babylonian scholars may have invented Trigonometry

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Babylonian scholars may have invented Trigonometry

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/26/16209080/ancient-clay-tablet-babylonian-math-trigonometry-archeology

An ancient clay tablet shows that Babylonian scholars might have invented trigonometry

A new interpretation into the nature of an ancient clay tablet known as Plimpton 322 claims that ancient Babylonians might have developed an advanced form of trigonometry — long before Greek mathematicians are commonly believed to have invented the concept.

That’s the theory put forward by two mathematicians from the University of New South Wales, Daniel F. Mansfield and Norman Wildberger, who published their study in the latest issue of Historia Mathematica. They claim that the tablet demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of mathematics, and that modern assumptions of the field should be reexamined in light of the interpretation.

The tablet in question is approximately five inches wide by three inch tall, and dates back to somewhere between 1822 and 1762 BCE. It was discovered by an American archeologist and diplomat named Edgar Banks in Larsa (what is now in southern Iraq) in the early 1920s. Banks sold the tablet to New York publisher George Arthur Plimpton, who later bequeathed it and his collection to Columbia University.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I saw that the other day - I'm still ticked off at those guys for not being around when I had to take trig!

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, I saw that the other day - I'm still ticked off at those guys for not being around when I had to take trig!
    You just needed to learn base 60 math, and it would be easy as pie!
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So now we know who to blame.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    So now we know who to blame.
    I actually enjoyed studying trig and calculus.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

6. Amen JB DoulosChristou amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/26/16209080/ancient-clay-tablet-babylonian-math-trigonometry-archeology

An ancient clay tablet shows that Babylonian scholars might have invented trigonometry

A new interpretation into the nature of an ancient clay tablet known as Plimpton 322 claims that ancient Babylonians might have developed an advanced form of trigonometry — long before Greek mathematicians are commonly believed to have invented the concept.

That’s the theory put forward by two mathematicians from the University of New South Wales, Daniel F. Mansfield and Norman Wildberger, who published their study in the latest issue of Historia Mathematica. They claim that the tablet demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of mathematics, and that modern assumptions of the field should be reexamined in light of the interpretation.

The tablet in question is approximately five inches wide by three inch tall, and dates back to somewhere between 1822 and 1762 BCE. It was discovered by an American archeologist and diplomat named Edgar Banks in Larsa (what is now in southern Iraq) in the early 1920s. Banks sold the tablet to New York publisher George Arthur Plimpton, who later bequeathed it and his collection to Columbia University.

© Copyright Original Source

That the ancient Babylonians knew of and employed some of the concepts of trigonometry is nothing new. See for example The Crest of the Peacock: Non-European Roots of Mathematics by George Gheverghese Joseph not to mention it has long been suspected that the Babylonian clay tablet known as Plimpton 322 contains a trigonometrical table since R. Creighton Buck brought it up in 1980.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

8. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I loved trig and I used it a a surveyor.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That the ancient Babylonians knew of and employed some of the concepts of trigonometry is nothing new. See for example The Crest of the Peacock: Non-European Roots of Mathematics by George Gheverghese Joseph not to mention it has long been suspected that the Babylonian clay tablet known as Plimpton 322 contains a trigonometrical table since R. Creighton Buck brought it up in 1980.
    The point of the article is that there is a more complete translation of tablet providing more details of the Babylonian knowledge of trigonometry. Yes, there is a bit of hype here, but nonetheless the improved translation showed how the Babylonian math developed trigonometry.

Most likely trigonometry and the similar math of early cultures developed over time through the engineering of their building methods.

Frank

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    that image is seriously messing with the migraine I currently have.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III