Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Babylonian scholars may have invented Trigonometry

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just yesterday (8-28) on a radio talk show (Larry Elder) a guest mathematician Martin Magid, a professor of mathematics at Wellesley College, explained that the Babylonian clay tablet used what we call Pythagorean triples and a base 60 numbering system. That is what I had understood.

An image of the tablet. Plimpton_322.jpg
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is a link to a PDF about the tablet:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...n.pdf&_valck=1
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Just yesterday (8-28) on a radio talk show (Larry Elder) a guest mathematician Martin Magid, a professor of mathematics at Wellesley College, explained that the Babylonian clay tablet used what we call Pythagorean triples and a base 60 numbering system. That is what I had understood.

An image of the tablet. Plimpton_322.jpg
    It's like a Flintstone spreadsheet.

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It's like a Flintstone spreadsheet.
    Yeah. And it is not trig. It is a table of what we think of as Pythagorean triples but 100's of years before Pythagoras.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah. And it is not trig. It is a table of what we think of as Pythagorean triples but 100's of years before Pythagoras.
    It is generally accepted as primitive form of trig, probably developed in engineering buildings.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is generally accepted as primitive form of trig, probably developed in engineering buildings.
    Read the PDF. Its author claims, "I show that the popular view of it as some sort of trigonometric table cannot be correct."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    UPI did a pretty good job explaining it.
    https://www.upi.com/Science_News/201...2181503668755/

Who knew UPI was still in business?

9. Amen shunyadragon, stfoskey15 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pythagorean triples can be easily calculated.
    Side A being the short leg of the right triangle. Side B being the long leg. Side C being the hypotenuse, side opposite the right angle.
    Pythagorean theorem being A2 + B2 = C2

Where the integer difference between C - B = n. Were A / n => an integer value of 2. And A and n must both be either odd or even.

(A2 - n2) / ( 2 x n) = B and B + n = C.

So if we make A = 9 and n = 1.

B = 40 and C = 41.
    Last edited by 37818; 09-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pythagorean triples can be easily calculated.
    Side A being the short leg of the right triangle. Side B being the long leg. Side C being the hypotenuse, side opposite the right angle.
    Pythagorean theorem being A2 + B2 = C2

Where the integer difference between C - B = n. Were A / n => an integer value of 2. And A and n must both be either odd or even.

(A2 - n2) / ( 2 x n) = B and B + n = C.

So if we make A = 9 and n = 1.

B = 40 and C = 41.
    True in today' math, but what's the point?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    True in today' math, but what's the point?
    No reason other than . . . . The tablet has a table of triangle triples. And I remembered having stumbling upon an easy way to calculate such triples.