Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Babylonian scholars may have invented Trigonometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is generally accepted as primitive form of trig, probably developed in engineering buildings.
    Read the PDF. Its author claims, "I show that the popular view of it as some sort of trigonometric table cannot be correct."
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

UPI did a pretty good job explaining it.
      https://www.upi.com/Science_News/201...2181503668755/

Who knew UPI was still in business?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Pythagorean triples can be easily calculated.
        Side A being the short leg of the right triangle. Side B being the long leg. Side C being the hypotenuse, side opposite the right angle.
        Pythagorean theorem being A2 + B2 = C2

Where the integer difference between C - B = n. Were A / n => an integer value of 2. And A and n must both be either odd or even.

(A2 - n2) / ( 2 x n) = B and B + n = C.

So if we make A = 9 and n = 1.

B = 40 and C = 41.
        Last edited by 37818; 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Pythagorean triples can be easily calculated.
          Side A being the short leg of the right triangle. Side B being the long leg. Side C being the hypotenuse, side opposite the right angle.
          Pythagorean theorem being A2 + B2 = C2

Where the integer difference between C - B = n. Were A / n => an integer value of 2. And A and n must both be either odd or even.

(A2 - n2) / ( 2 x n) = B and B + n = C.

So if we make A = 9 and n = 1.

B = 40 and C = 41.
          True in today' math, but what's the point?
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            True in today' math, but what's the point?
            No reason other than . . . . The tablet has a table of triangle triples. And I remembered having stumbling upon an easy way to calculate such triples.

Comment