Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Only children of God are free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only children of God are free?

John 8:34 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

Originally posted by lee_merrill
    I believe that only believers are free (John 8:34,36)

So then to the extent that people sin, they aren't free? ... I would only insist that people apart from Christ can do nothing but sin.

"... and whatever is not from faith is sin." (Ro 14:23)
    Originally posted by shunyadragon
    I disagree. virtually all people in history from all religions, and faiths and even those who do not believe anything sin, good things, great things, love, sin, and do evil stuff. That is the facts of life. There is no distinct difference between the behavior of believers from different religions.
    But do you agree with the principle that to the extent that people sin, they aren't free? Let's start there.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But do you agree with the principle that to the extent that people sin, they aren't free?
    I regard sin as a theological concept, so I don't think it's a real thing.

I do agree that we're all morally imperfect, but that's just because moral perfection is not possible. And I don't think our imperfections have anything to do with how free we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      I regard sin as a theological concept, so I don't think it's a real thing.

I do agree that we're all morally imperfect, but that's just because moral perfection is not possible. And I don't think our imperfections have anything to do with how free we are.
      Oh. So you do not regard lying as wrong? [Lying being a sin.](Revelation 21:8, ". . . all liars . . .") How free is someone who has to hide behind lies?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Interesting, where does this idea of perfection come from? Why aren't we perfect just as we are?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But do you agree with the principle that to the extent that people sin, they aren't free? Let's start there.

Blessings,
          Lee
          Lee, I believe men, even sinners, have a degree of moral freedom. After all they don't always go around stealing, raping, murdering.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Interesting, where does this idea of perfection come from?
            From the human perspective delusions

Why aren't we perfect just as we are?
            . . . because we are all fallible humans.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

John 8:34 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

Blessings,
              Lee
              My uncertainty with the citations is; Free from what?

It is obvious that everyone one sins, but from various Christian perspectives Christians may be freed from the consequences of sin, original sin, by forgiveness, sincere repentance, and redemption through the sacraments.

These are not my beliefs, but they may lead to a better understanding of the citations.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Blessings,
                Lee
                Depends on the definition of "free" and "sin"....

If we presume "free" to mean the autonomy to make choices and sin to mean "an error/mistake"---then the two necessarily go together...
                but, if we presume "free" to mean "without"/to not have---and sin to mean the the stain of original sin---then this concept is limited to the Christian framework alone---others do not share the concept....

or
                If we presume sin to mean the Christian concept of "vice" (7 vice..?) and freedom to mean "the autonomy to turn away from/disincline to"...then there are similar concepts in Islam and Buddhism. Islam speaks of excessive desires (such as excessive pride, excessive anger...etc) and Buddhism speaks of (excessive) attachments--- that create constraints on human will....leading to suffering/lack of peace....

by the way...What does children of God mean? does it mean "Christian"?

Comment

And I don't think our imperfections have anything to do with how free we are.
                  Though sin is addicting, is it not?

Originally posted by seer
                  I believe men, even sinners, have a degree of moral freedom. After all they don't always go around stealing, raping, murdering.
                  But "whatever is not of faith is sin", said Paul (Rom. 14:23)

Originally posted by shunyadragon
                  My uncertainty with the citations is; Free from what?
                  Free from being a slave to sin: "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin." (John 8:34)

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                    If we presume "free" to mean the autonomy to make choices and sin to mean "an error/mistake"---then the two necessarily go together...
                    I'm not sure what you mean, how do they go together?

If we presume sin to mean the Christian concept of "vice" (7 vice..?) and freedom to mean "the autonomy to turn away from/disincline to"...then there are similar concepts in Islam and Buddhism.
                    That would be fine, but is there deliverance from sin in Islam and Buddhism? That would mean these would also be paths to God.

by the way...What does children of God mean? does it mean "Christian"?
                    Yes, I was just trying to pick a phrase that would be less divisive.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

"You gotta serve somebody" (Bob Dylan)

We either serve our own desires, or some principles or persons outside ourselves.

Source: Romans 6:16-18

Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

© Copyright Original Source

And being a slave to righteousness doesn't sound like freedom, unless there is room for choices within the will of God, which I believe there is.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Oh. So you do not regard lying as wrong?
                        I didn't say I don't believe in a difference between right and wrong.

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        How free is someone who has to hide behind lies?
                        All behaviors, right or wrong, have consequences. Among the consequences, in either case, is a diminution of options that were available before the action was taken and become unavailable afterward.

Comment

Interesting, where does this idea of perfection come from?
                          From the same place all ideas come from: our minds.

Why aren't we perfect just as we are?
                          Because how we are is inconsistent with the ideas of perfection that most of us have.

Comment

"You gotta serve somebody" (Bob Dylan)

We either serve our own desires, or some principles or persons outside ourselves.

Source: Romans 6:16-18

Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

© Copyright Original Source

And being a slave to righteousness doesn't sound like freedom, unless there is room for choices within the will of God, which I believe there is.

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            And when one actually becomes a "slave" to righteousness, one begins to learn what real freedom is.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

From the same place all ideas come from: our minds.

Because how we are is inconsistent with the ideas of perfection that most of us have.
                              Strange that animals like us are not satisfied with our animal behavior. Like a fish complaining that it is wet...

Comment